Not my video, but...

...This documentary about 'Space Exploration in video games' was uploaded to youtube a few days ago, and it goes into good detail about the history of the genre, as well as some of the pitfalls that developers have had to wrestle with over the years. It's 1 hour and 30 minutes long, and fully one-third of it is devoted to Elite Dangerous, so check it out if you have the time:

Towards the end, the narrator has some good observations about ways Elite could be improved, without ever getting salty about it... and if Frontier are still on the fence about which long-standing feature they should re-work, I think they should definitely watch this video! A simple introductory storyline, that doubles as an in-depth tutorial, is one of the things I've always wanted in Elite... and as this video explains, it would allow the various aspects of the game to be showcased, making players much more likely to enjoy it, and thus recommend it to other people! Ah, if only...!

I liked that, it gave an interesting, recent perspective on the new player experience, in particular confusing a fleet carrier with an NPC station. I don't know much about many of the other games discussed but given how the ED commentary came across I felt their conclusions on the others must have been similarly honest.

A simple introductory storyline, that doubles as an in-depth tutorial, is one of the things I've always wanted in Elite... and as this video explains, it would allow the various aspects of the game to be showcased, making players much more likely to enjoy it, and thus recommend it to other people! Ah, if only...!
I think the takeaway from Elite having bad tutorials isn't to add more tutorials in the way other games do it. The video also mentions how both guides and overt gamification of simulated mechanics can spoil them.

You don't feel smart by just doing what you're told and having an "aha" moment where you figure out how the mechanics work and how to use them to accomplish what you want to do can be incredibly rewarding.

Usually these moments come after a bit of experimentation and exploration, which in Elite is often too punishing and requires too much commitment. The UI is almost deliberately unintuitive/unhelpful to make it feel more immersive so being told "press X to do Y now" is the only way. A story that needs to do too much of that is going to be more annoying than engaging I'm afraid.

Players who are already on-board and engaged might be more likely to skip the tutorials/guides elite currently does have and go off exploring on their own only to get smacked down hard (like in the video) and Elite is completely fine with letting players out of the tutorial with them being completely unprepared for whats ahead. It's a really hard problem to solve and Elite seems to have made the choice to have players learn on their own.

Eh, I agree with some things. C+P has always been a mess. New player experience is pants. Others, not so much. ED as a game is not really that difficult to play - if you open your eyes and use your brain. Case in point - flying around bodies. I dunno why this one is so hard to figure out. Obscured destinations are hashed, even if your eyes can't figure out you slow down around planets, your brain should be able to see your speedo going down. It's not an Einstein level achievement to put 2+2 together and realise - "Hey! I need to give these things a wide berth to travel quickly!". And yet so many noobs just do the crawl around them sub cruise. 🤷‍♂️

Eh, I agree with some things. C+P has always been a mess. New player experience is pants. Others, not so much. ED as a game is not really that difficult to play - if you open your eyes and use your brain. Case in point - flying around bodies. I dunno why this one is so hard to figure out. Obscured destinations are hashed, even if your eyes can't figure out you slow down around planets, your brain should be able to see your speedo going down. It's not an Einstein level achievement to put 2+2 together and realise - "Hey! I need to give these things a wide berth to travel quickly!". And yet so many noobs just do the crawl around them sub cruise. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah a lot of the concepts and mechanics are simple individually, but there's so many little things that you're going to get something wrong eventually and will get punished for it. This can happen multiple times in rapid succession and there are no easy introductionary missions if even getting to and landing at a station is a challenge.

You don't feel smart by just doing what you're told and having an "aha" moment where you figure out how the mechanics work and how to use them to accomplish what you want to do can be incredibly rewarding.

Usually these moments come after a bit of experimentation and exploration, which in Elite is often too punishing and requires too much commitment. The UI is almost deliberately unintuitive/unhelpful to make it feel more immersive so being told "press X to do Y now" is the only way. A story that needs to do too much of that is going to be more annoying than engaging I'm afraid.
In my mind's eye, I can imagine VIP Passenger Missions being re-worked to function as immersive, story-based tutorials... for example, a passenger who wants to visit Lave could request '1 unit of Lavian Brandy' as an optional mission requirement, by saying:

"While we're there, Commander, I wonder if you could get me some Lavian Brandy from the Commodity Market in Lave Station... of course, I'd make it worth your while if you did! In fact, if you have room in your cargo rack, get some for yourself while you're at it... you can't buy it anywhere else in the galaxy, and where I come from, it's so rare that a single canister sells for a ridiculous price!"

That would introduce you to the concept of rare goods, it tells you where to buy this particular one and that you need cargo space to buy it, and it tells you where you can sell it for a profit! All in one brief paragraph of world building...

I admit that tutorials which tell you exactly which buttons to press might be a bit less immersive - but as you say, too much hand-holding is not what makes players feel smart anyway. A little bit of direction is all they need:

"Commander, I must warn you - I think someone is trying to kill me, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are interdicted during our journey. Don't panic, this guy is all bark and no bite... just remember your pilot training, and we'll be fine. Try switching power to SYSTEMS to boost your shield, or switch more power to ENGINES if you want to outmanoeuvre him. And if you can get behind him, switch power to WEAPONS, and let him have it! If you can take him out, I'll give you a sizeable tip."

Simple things like this (it doesn't even need to be fully voiced, it could literally just be text!) should be easy for Frontier to add, and it would make such a difference to the new player experience... while also providing vital context that teaches the player about the universe, and that turns each mission into a mini-story in its own right!

Yeah a lot of the concepts and mechanics are simple individually, but there's so many little things that you're going to get something wrong eventually and will get punished for it. This can happen multiple times in rapid succession and there are no easy introductionary missions if even getting to and landing at a station is a challenge.
Yes, I think new players find themselves so overwhelmed by everything that it's easy for them to miss something obvious... this video documents how much simpler other games are in comparison, so Elite's approach might completely blind-side a new player, and with no guidance whatsoever it's difficult for them to find their feet.

...But that's why Passenger Missions could be the perfect solution! And there are so many interesting places in the game that could be used as destinations, to showcase how great Elite can be... why are there no VIPs asking to visit one of the Generation Ships, or a crazy conspiracy theorist who wants to visit one of the old INRA bases, or something?! All of this stuff is already in the game... but new players will never find any of it on their own, so there should be missions that direct you to it!

In my mind's eye, I can imagine VIP Passenger Missions being re-worked to function as immersive, story-based tutorials... for example, a passenger who wants to visit Lave could request '1 unit of Lavian Brandy' as an optional mission requirement, by saying:

"While we're there, Commander, I wonder if you could get me some Lavian Brandy from the Commodity Market in Lave Station... of course, I'd make it worth your while if you did! In fact, if you have room in your cargo rack, get some for yourself while you're at it... you can't buy it anywhere else in the galaxy, and where I come from, it's so rare that a single canister sells for a ridiculous price!"

That would introduce you to the concept of rare goods, it tells you where to buy this particular one and that you need cargo space to buy it, and it tells you where you can sell it for a profit! All in one brief paragraph of world building...

I admit that tutorials which tell you exactly which buttons to press might be a bit less immersive - but as you say, too much hand-holding is not what makes players feel smart anyway. A little bit of direction is all they need:

"Commander, I must warn you - I think someone is trying to kill me, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are interdicted during our journey. Don't panic, this guy is all bark and no bite... just remember your pilot training, and we'll be fine. Try switching power to SYSTEMS to boost your shield, or switch more power to ENGINES if you want to outmanoeuvre him. And if you can get behind him, switch power to WEAPONS, and let him have it! If you can take him out, I'll give you a sizeable tip."

Simple things like this (it doesn't even need to be fully voiced, it could literally just be text!) should be easy for Frontier to add, and it would make such a difference to the new player experience... while also providing vital context that teaches the player about the universe, and that turns each mission into a mini-story in its own right!
I really like your idea here, and a couple of great examples. A nice trade off between the over simplicity of the tips at the bottom of the screen when the game is loading and the heavily scripted tutorial model. I wonder if this is something that could be done by the community in a 3rd party tool like voice attack or EDCoPilot? The problem there being (I suppose) that by the time a player has learned about these 3rd party tools they probably already know what they’re doing.

Another obvious place to extend things and introduce new game mechanics would be the engineer introduction tasks.

Reshuffle the bubble engineers so that the "common knowledge" ones between them have all G1-2 blueprints, the ones they introduce you to add in all the G3 and most G4 blueprints, and the ones they introduce have the G5 blueprints, so that there's actually a progression and so that new players are guided more towards the high-efficiency blueprints which use cheap materials to give a powerful boost.
Then give each engineer a multi-part mission to get access to their services which introduces gameplay related to the modules they provide and/or gives opportunities to get materials for their blueprints.
Scrap engineer rep (the Odyssey ones don't have it, it's not really been necessary since 3.0's reform anyway) and just give engineers a second mission to provide the introductions

They already serve the "introduce people to new mechanics" purpose a bit, but a bit more direction on that might make things more interesting and provide a better "so what do I do now?" tutorial. All the bits they need to do this are already in place, and it could be introduced incrementally (gradually bring in the unlock missions, then do the reshuffle when everything is ready)

To encourage testing, they should probably allow players who already have the unlocks to do the missions once as well in exchange for a free module upgrade.

why are there no VIPs asking to visit one of the Generation Ships, or a crazy conspiracy theorist who wants to visit one of the old INRA bases, or something?
Routinely giving every plot location a tourist beacon after six months / once the story is over would be a good idea - a lot of the older ones have them but it's not something that's been kept up.

I really like your idea here, and a couple of great examples. A nice trade off between the over simplicity of the tips at the bottom of the screen when the game is loading and the heavily scripted tutorial model. I wonder if this is something that could be done by the community in a 3rd party tool like voice attack or EDCoPilot? The problem there being (I suppose) that by the time a player has learned about these 3rd party tools they probably already know what they’re doing.
Thanks! I've never used EDCoPilot, but I suppose anything is possible - and I know not to underestimate the Elite community, they really do work miracles. But I do wish that Frontier themselves would make better use of the galaxy they've created... they have already done the hard work, they just need to showcase it better! So that new players can find the gameplay they are looking for, and get to grips with the various mechanics one at a time...

I think the takeaway from Elite having bad tutorials isn't to add more tutorials in the way other games do it. The video also mentions how both guides and overt gamification of simulated mechanics can spoil them.
Actually one of the things I like about ED is, perhaps a bit ironically, the complete lack of in-game tutorials for most things.

One thing I have learned to absolutely hate in recent years is the overabundance of tutorials in video games. Especially those in the form of endless streams of textboxes. Textbox after textbox after textbox. Not only are they annoying because they interrupt the game's flow, but they are also mostly useless (they tend to be a massive info dump about something that the player has no experience on, and thus they are pretty much useless. People can't possibly remember 10 pages of text explaining 150 small things. The human brain can't remember all that in one sitting. People learn best by doing, not by reading. Especially not be reading everything at once, before they have had any hands-on experience on the thing.)

That's not to say that there can't be good tutorials. There are several examples of games with absolutely excellent tutorials. Most often these are not in the form of text boxes, but practical play, ie. tutorials that are embedded in the gameplay itself. And from them the best ones don't even have an NPC explaining things to you (which is just a slightly fancier form of a tutorial textbox). The best tutorials teach you the mechanics by having you actually use those mechanics (think of the Portal series, for example).

ED, in some ways, goes to the absolute opposite extreme by not having any tutorials at all for most things (besides a couple of tutorials for a couple of things). Many features of the game are not explained anywhere (in-game). But that works surprisingly well. It's actually surprisingly rewarding once you figure out on your own what something is for or how it works. It's so refreshing compared to the vast, vast majority of other games out there.

Another obvious place to extend things and introduce new game mechanics would be the engineer introduction tasks.

Reshuffle the bubble engineers so that the "common knowledge" ones between them have all G1-2 blueprints, the ones they introduce you to add in all the G3 and most G4 blueprints, and the ones they introduce have the G5 blueprints, so that there's actually a progression and so that new players are guided more towards the high-efficiency blueprints which use cheap materials to give a powerful boost.
Then give each engineer a multi-part mission to get access to their services which introduces gameplay related to the modules they provide and/or gives opportunities to get materials for their blueprints.
Scrap engineer rep (the Odyssey ones don't have it, it's not really been necessary since 3.0's reform anyway) and just give engineers a second mission to provide the introductions.

They already serve the "introduce people to new mechanics" purpose a bit, but a bit more direction on that might make things more interesting and provide a better "so what do I do now?" tutorial. All the bits they need to do this are already in place, and it could be introduced incrementally (gradually bring in the unlock missions, then do the reshuffle when everything is ready)
Now that's an excellent idea! It makes perfect sense, and giving players a chance to get the materials they are going to need while they are unlocking the engineer is genius, it's so obvious!

Routinely giving every plot location a tourist beacon after six months / once the story is over would be a good idea - a lot of the older ones have them but it's not something that's been kept up.
If Frontier did re-work Passenger Missions, I wish they would get rid of the requirement to always scan a tourist beacon to complete the mission... why not make it so that you must scan the generation ship's audio logs, instead? You still have to scan things, so it's basically the same - but audio logs are much more interesting!

Besides, 'Famous Explorer wants to go and scan a Tourist Beacon' always seemed absurd, to me... a famous explorer should want to scan Giant Space Crystals, or maybe those alien Molluscs or something, that would make more sense! (And the explorer could also ask if your ship is equipped with a Research Limpet Controller, and request that you obtain a 'Mollusc Soft Tissue Sample' as an optional mission requirement... that would be immersive, and it would signpost game content that players might never have discovered otherwise!)

That's not to say that there can't be good tutorials. There are several examples of games with absolutely excellent tutorials. Most often these are not in the form of text boxes, but practical play, ie. tutorials that are embedded in the gameplay itself. And from them the best ones don't even have an NPC explaining things to you (which is just a slightly fancier form of a tutorial textbox). The best tutorials teach you the mechanics by having you actually use those mechanics (think of the Portal series, for example).
That's what I meant by Elite being unintuitive - it can't effectively lead the player to discover how things work because the controls and systems are so messy and the harsh punishments (in terms of how much time it wastes) discourage experimentation.

My favourite example of a hidden tutorial is in Half life 2 ravenholm - there's a circular saw blocking a path you need to crawl though and the way to get past it is to pick it up with the gravity gun, as soon as you do a zombie appears and you're meant to blast the circular saw at it with the gravity gun - this teaches you that you can do that. In elite you'd be messing around with figuring out the controls to switch to analysis mode to use the gravity gun to pick up stuff and then to combat mode to throw the thing at the zombie and you'd be fined by the resistance for stealing the circular saw unless you engage silent running before picking it up.

It is very rewarding if you can learn it and pull it off in Elite in the same way not getting caught by a Dark Souls trap is. It's still a pain to learn and because you're ultimately failing due to stupid simple stuff it makes you feel so very dumb. The lessons you most need to learn in Elite as a beginner are also mostly about it's own quirks and contrivances around relatively mundane things and now about cool and creative things you can do with the mechanics (like fa toggling, landing gear boosting, neutron jumping or fast SCA dropping that could be very useful "aha" moments if you discover them on your own and not from a guide).

When I started out I found the existing Horizons engineer unlocks a good way to force me to figure out more different activities like mining and CZ combat.

For a new player even finding out about the engineers might be a challenge because it's a totally separate menu from outfitting. Unlike all the complicated flight mechanics there's an easier way to guide players to that - just put a half-engineered module/weapon on the starter ship that clearly tells you in the description you can improve it at an engineer. It would kinda need to have "broken/malfunctioning/anomalous" in it's module name to stand out and prompt players to investigate.

One thing I have learned to absolutely hate in recent years is the overabundance of tutorials in video games. Especially those in the form of endless streams of textboxes. Textbox after textbox after textbox. Not only are they annoying because they interrupt the game's flow, but they are also mostly useless (they tend to be a massive info dump about something that the player has no experience on, and thus they are pretty much useless. People can't possibly remember 10 pages of text explaining 150 small things. The human brain can't remember all that in one sitting. People learn best by doing, not by reading. Especially not be reading everything at once, before they have had any hands-on experience on the thing.)
It's true that you can go too far the other way, and have terrible tutorials that just sap the fun out of learning to play the game. But as the narrator in that video said, a simple starter quest would work wonders for easing players into the action, and putting them in the right frame of mind to actually enjoy the game...

The original Elite, in 1984, came with an excellent instruction booklet that was entirely written from an 'in-universe' perspective, which fully immersed you in the game before you even turned it on. But although it did tell you how to fly your ship, it also hinted at other aspects of the game, without ever telling you outright... for example, when describing missiles, there is a line which reads 'The missile launch mechanism is very reliable and hardly ever jams.' At first you might think that this is just flavour text - but no, missiles actually could jam in the original game, and that one throwaway line served as foreshadowing!

Portal does do it extemerly well - but it guides you through a linear progression of rooms, with each room teaching you only one or two things, so that you can get to grips with the game's concepts gradually. In Elite, you are sat in your cockpit, and everything is at your fingertips, right from the get-go... so, with no guidance at all, it's no wonder new players sometimes feel lost.

In elite you'd be messing around with figuring out the controls to switch to analysis mode to use the gravity gun to pick up stuff and then to combat mode to throw the thing at the zombie and you'd be fined by the resistance for stealing the circular saw unless you engage silent running before picking it up.
:ROFLMAO: I'm laughing, but it's only funny because it's true... too much complexity can be bad even for experienced players, but for new players it's just an exercise in frustration.

It is very rewarding if you can learn it and pull it off in Elite in the same way not getting caught by a Dark Souls trap is. It's still a pain to learn and because you're ultimately failing due to stupid simple stuff it makes you feel so very dumb.
Yes - Portal makes you feel clever every time you solve a tricky puzzle, but Elite makes you feel stupid every time you can't remember which button to press.

For a new player even finding out about the engineers might be a challenge because it's a totally separate menu from outfitting. Unlike all the complicated flight mechanics there's an easier way to guide players to that - just put a half-engineered module/weapon on the starter ship that clearly tells you in the description you can improve it at an engineer. It would kinda need to have "broken/malfunctioning/anomalous" in it's module name to stand out and prompt players to investigate.
That's a good idea... but in my opinion, the Outfitting menu is one of the most bewildering screens in the game for newer players, so 'hiding' an engineered module somewhere within it might still make it too difficult for new players to find!

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a dedicated tutorial just to explain the basics of outfitting, in fact I remember coming up with easy-to-remember descriptions for each grade of module:

A = Advanced
B = Bulky
C = Classic
D = Delicate
E = Economy

An NPC who explains the difference between each of these could intrigue the player, and draw them in to the universe of Elite... instead of leaving the player in the dark, and obliging them to Google everything.

In Elite, you are sat in your cockpit, and everything is at your fingertips, right from the get-go
It's definitely a problem with the "purist" open world approach that Elite Dangerous takes - it starts out a chaotic and confusing mess, but because that has to be survivable for a beginner, once (if) you get past the early game there's relatively little challenge. The previous games in the series had much the same problem.

Looking at how the other modern space-ish games do it:
- No Mans Sky has the same problem of zero difficulty after the early game - but does have a fairly strong tutorial to introduce the key concepts gradually up to the first hyperspace jump, and then various mission groups to introduce other activities if you don't notice them yourself earlier.
- X4 keeps the late game challenge going a lot better, but because unlike Elite/NMS it has very strong geography, and unlike them (especially unlike NMS) it has a strong Small/Medium/Large distinction in ships, it's also able to ease the early game somewhat. The story missions pick up where the tutorial leaves off with "okay, you can fly your ship, here's why you might want to" and introducing other equipment and mechanics gradually.

They're not directly translatable, but there's probably some scope to strengthen Elite's geography and introduce more (entirely skippable) "first time trader" missions to help people make the transition from "able to fly the ship" to "able to fly the ship with a purpose".

As a side note...
[...] and if Frontier are still on the fence about which long-standing feature they should re-work, [...]
I don't think it's which they should re-work, but it's which they could re-work. Personally, I think this is why they've been taking so long to even decide what is going to be reworked.
The game doesn't appear to have many resources assigned to it anymore, so there's only so much they could add. Reworking existing parts is cheaper... however, it's also much more risky, as getting it wrong can easily drive away plenty of existing players. It has happened here before.

Given that exploration in ED is a small niche of the player base, it could easily not be a priority. However, there would certainly be room to bring back players there, as there used to be much more activity. (Also, it decreased faster than the total number of players of the game did, so that alone wouldn't explain it.) Not to mention that the FSS's design principle was broken for Odyssey's thin atmo landables (can't see on the barcode if there are any, you have to scan the whole system to find out if there's expansion content you'd be interested in), its interface is poor for new players too (for starters, an interface you have to explain with a tutorial is a bad interface), so it should be reworked - and these could be done without adding new content.

Meanwhile, new tutorials would mean having to add plenty of new content (unless they do only a couple of them and call it a day, of coure), especially if they'd be voice-acted. I'm not sure if that would be needed, but I think plenty of players would expect them to be. Which would mean a higher budget required for the update... which in turn might not be something that the developers would want to do.

I don't think it's which they should re-work, but it's which they could re-work. Personally, I think this is why they've been taking so long to even decide what is going to be reworked.
The game doesn't appear to have many resources assigned to it anymore, so there's only so much they could add. Reworking existing parts is cheaper... however, it's also much more risky, as getting it wrong can easily drive away plenty of existing players. It has happened here before.
I'm sure you're right - but that's why I proposed re-working Passenger Missions, and using them as a template for any new tutorials, or for some new story-based content. After all, Passenger Missions are relatively lack-lustre right now, so I can't imagine very many players would be upset if Fronter were to re-work them... especially if the only changes they made were to make them 'basically the same, but with more interesting destinations, and with more useful information provided with each optional mission requirement'. I'm not a developer, but that seems like the lowest of low-hanging fruit, to me.

Also, although voice acting would be extremely nice, even that is not technically necessary for Passenger Missions - some well-written text could suffice. Frontier should be able to manage that, no matter how limited their resources currently are... in fact, it is precisely because their resources are so limited that they should be making better use of the assets and game-loops that are already in-game! And having passengers specifically request those things, and having them explain to new players how to approach them, would surely be a very efficient solution to the problem...

Top Bottom