Not sure I'm doing mining right...

Ok, so I've recently started playing on a regular basis after a long break (during which I played only once a couple of months). Clearly quite a few things have changed, as I was able to earn enough CR A-B Loop trading to finally buy a Python, at which point I started mining. The game mechanic of this is designed to be quite addictive with Skinner box qualities to it. What I'm not sure about is if I'm doing it correctly? All the tutorials I've seen explain that the prospector drone shows the mineral content of the Asteroid. However, every time, without fail that I have successfully blown up any fissured Asteroid, it either contains fragments of low-temperature diamonds, void opals or some other valuable resource. It's like the explosion creates them. However, these aren't free-floating fragments, they need to be abrasion blasted off of the remaining parts of the asteroid. There are normally about 10 or 12 of these to collect. This is where it gets ugly. The Python is really hard to navigate around the asteroid fragments. So I end up crunching into the asteroid, grinding it against my shields as I scrape the ship into position to blast a hard to get fragment. There must be a better way than this? Also, visibility drops to zero and my windscreen frosts up the moment I start refining low-temperature diamonds, which make my terrible piloting skills even worse.

Is there a more elegant way to mine?

Use night vision.
And try to get into a conda if you can afford it, else go laser mining on double painite spots. Pays just as well as VO mining, but you don't need a maneuverable ship.

I enjoy VO mining, but you really need to have you ship tuned, so you can maneuver around the rocks easily.

TBH the Python is ideal for core mining because it has both agility and decent cargo capacity. It does take some time to get acquainted with maneuvering inside the cracked 'roid rubble, though. I suggest you stay on the periphery and shoot at the ore "scabs" until all that can be reached from there are knocked off the 'roid fragments. Practice circling the 'roid rubble using your lateral thrusters. Find spots where you can "park" to let the limpets work, and can wait for un-blasted scabs to rotate into a position to be targeted. You can select scabs in the Contacts tab to make them easier to find if you are up close and personal with the 'roid rubble. In the meantime your Collector Limpets should be scooping up both the chunks blown free in the initial blast and those you whack off with the Abrasion Blaster. Using the Night Vision option can help you see through the fog.

Keep in mind that the 'roid rubble chunks tend to separate more and more over time, making flying among them easier after a while, another reason for parking and waiting while the limpets work.

Also, some minerals shown in the Prospector readout are not for core mining. They require either a Subsurface Missile Launcher, a Mining Laser, or both, depending on the resource type. There are often scabs for the Abrasion Blaster on the surface as well. But the best-paying yields are from core mining, though some think "double Painite" hotspots are as lucrative. Cannot say as I prefer core blasting to the Painite mining methods. It's good to have options.

Last edited:
Seems worth noting that the sell prices fluctuate often and regularly.
There are web tools, I hope you are already aware of, that keep a miner (or pirate) informed on the market for mined booty.
Void Opals go for 1.6 million a ton. .Painite .. 780,000.. etc.
It's the market and the prices that make it all work.

\\///
Oo
Spike.k

Thanks for the tips! The money side of it is great. I'm in the process of gradually A - Rating my Python with the profits from the mining. I'm hopeful that A-rated thrusters will improve things a bit in the manoeuvrability stakes.

Thanks for the tips! The money side of it is great. I'm in the process of gradually A - Rating my Python with the profits from the mining. I'm hopeful that A-rated thrusters will improve things a bit in the manoeuvrability stakes.
A-rating is fine for some modules, but consider such options as D-ratings -- usually much lower mass, increasing thrust specs and jump range. Engineering your thrusters can do a great deal to improve on such choices. All my ships use this approach, making it faster to reach prime mining systems, and making my Python a real acrobat inside the broken 'roids.

Ok, so I've recently started playing on a regular basis after a long break (during which I played only once a couple of months). Clearly quite a few things have changed, as I was able to earn enough CR A-B Loop trading to finally buy a Python, at which point I started mining. The game mechanic of this is designed to be quite addictive with Skinner box qualities to it. What I'm not sure about is if I'm doing it correctly? All the tutorials I've seen explain that the prospector drone shows the mineral content of the Asteroid. However, every time, without fail that I have successfully blown up any fissured Asteroid, it either contains fragments of low-temperature diamonds, void opals or some other valuable resource. It's like the explosion creates them. However, these aren't free-floating fragments, they need to be abrasion blasted off of the remaining parts of the asteroid. There are normally about 10 or 12 of these to collect. This is where it gets ugly. The Python is really hard to navigate around the asteroid fragments. So I end up crunching into the asteroid, grinding it against my shields as I scrape the ship into position to blast a hard to get fragment. There must be a better way than this? Also, visibility drops to zero and my windscreen frosts up the moment I start refining low-temperature diamonds, which make my terrible piloting skills even worse.

I recommend practising how to efficiently use your directional thrusters before attempting to mine. Makes life alot easier when you can effortless zip around an asteroid without bumping into things. I personally always use the downwards thrusters to get into position on an asteroid fissure. I've also recommended this video a few times on this forum but have a watch, perhaps it will help. Skip for 7:00 for the mining section.

Source: https://youtu.be/137jFkyyHac

Last edited:

The asteroid fragments tend to rotate slowly. Wait until the rotation brings the core material round so you can blast it, then you won't have to do so much maneuvering between the fragments.

If you can't navigate a Python around an exploded roid I'm afraid it's probably because more gud needs to be gitted.
Bear in mind that the chunks drift further apart after a while, which makes it a bit easier.

Failing that, I reckon the AspX is probably the most agile DC mining ship, although it can only carry half as many VO's as a Python.
Still, a Cr20m ship that can earn you Cr100m in half an hour isn't to be sneezed at.

Here's mine: https://s.orbis.zone/4t54

I use an AspX for mining because:
A) Lots of module space to fit everything in, good manouverability, great jump range and plenty of hardpoints so I can mix laser and core mining.
B) My loadout only allows 64t cargo. This means I don't have to mine for very long before I can stop and go back to the station whilst still feeling productive from having a full hold.

...use a beluga...
Is there nothing the Beluga can't do (landing at outposts aside)! :LOL: Ok, ok, I'm getting one on my next bubble visit!

OP, sounds like you are doing everything right, you just need practice.

As others have said upgrading your ship will make a big difference. The advice on here is sound, the big sections of asteroid eventually move apart making it easier to use the abrasion blaster. Park your ship in a clear(ish) spot and make sure you are not sitting directly above a big lump of asteroid, then let your limpets do their thing.

You will lose limpets, they are quite suicidal, you will bump into asteroids occasionally. Use your lateral (up / down) thrusters more than your main thrusters to move around and before long you will be cracking roids like they're walnuts.

I use a Krait rather than a Python pretty much for this reason (better ability to manoeuvre between the chunks of an exploded asteroid). Also note (as stated above) that it's worth waiting a minute or so for the chunks to drift further apart and widen the gap between them. Also worth remembering that the limpets have to get back from where the fragments are to the underside of your ship so it's worth positioning yourself somewhere that makes this easier for them to do that.

Don't let all the hoopla about which ship to use distract you, it's mainly just personal preference talking. Any ship that can be fitted with the tools can be used for mining, though some are not logical choices due to cargo restrictions. The Python will do fine. I used a 'Conda for my first 2.5B or so of mining, had no problem maneuvering among the rubble after getting some practice, though it is admittedly a tub. But it's a tub with well over 200T cargo space, meaning a load of pure VOs or LTDs at the right station can return 320M+ -- that's the lure of the bigger ships. Be sure to plan your outings -- don't mine in a system hundreds of LYs out from the point of sale that gives the highest purchase price, you'll be using time inefficiently and risking interdiction too often. Many good mining systems are within one jump of the best markets, you just have to suss them out. Since markets change as mentioned, be sure to plan each trip instead of relying on the last trip's parameters. I use the INARA website to get daily info for expedition planning, but there are others as well.

Last edited:
If you can't navigate a Python around an exploded roid I'm afraid it's probably because more gud needs to be gitted.
Bear in mind that the chunks drift further apart after a while, which makes it a bit easier.

I'm afraid so... Get them thrusters engineered and git guder at moving with thrusters. I tiptoe an Anaconda around broken cores without many love-taps to the rocks. Just got to keep your orientation and try not to get directly into the split rocks. Work around the outside.

Top Bottom