Nothing to do in Station X (Crab Nebula)?

I've just arrived in the Crab Nebula and docked up at Station X. I came out with all my ships in my carrier was planning on spending a bit of time out this way and doing some mining. I had expected to be able to get mining missions from at least one of the factions in the station but there is nothing - just all "donate" type missions! Even after selling some cart data, some cargo that I brought out and donating some credits so that I am now allied to the controlling faction there is nothing different!

Am I missing something or is that all I'm going to get? I'm sure when I visited the stations in the California Nebula there were mining missions available... Of course I can just head out and mine then sell my stuff on the market at the station but I like having a bit more purpose by working towards mission goals.

I was there last week, there is a threat 7 pirate attack (sometimes threat 6) USS that I spent a lot of time in (combat capable exploration has it's rare benefits ;)).

I was disappointed there were no missions at all for the pirate faction, and while I was there only donation missions for the controlling faction (they're at 99% inf and a bit of explo data & bounties quickly got me up to allied).

Bit of missed potential for activities there but the main reason for my stopover was to be able to sell my bio-data from salad hunting and in that respect I was too grateful for an oasis in the desert to be concerned about the bathroom facilities not being well maintained.

I was there last week, there is a threat 7 pirate attack (sometimes threat 6) USS that I spent a lot of time in (combat capable exploration has it's rare benefits ;)).

I was disappointed there were no missions at all for the pirate faction, and while I was there only donation missions for the controlling faction (they're at 99% inf and a bit of explo data & bounties quickly got me up to allied).

Bit of missed potential for activities there but the main reason for my stopover was to be able to sell my bio-data from salad hunting and in that respect I was too grateful for an oasis in the desert to be concerned about the bathroom facilities not being well maintained.
OK, thanks. Got my combat ships with me so happy to get involved fighting pirates!

Guess I'll just hang out for a while, do some mining and sell it here.

Last edited:
Though in this case, I think the problem is that Station X is Extraction, which don't generate mining missions even in the bubble.
Yeah... kinda unintuitive that the best place for mining missions is... places with no mineral industry.

Though interestingly, underlying state and gov type also has a pretty major effect, if you watch these systems.

Extraction systems don't want to hire people to extract stuff.

FD logic.
No, it makes sense - if you've got a mining operation producing tens of thousands of tonnes a day (or more), why would you pay an independent pilot hundreds of times your own production costs to grab another hundred or so? The sorts of mining jobs extraction systems hire people for are the ones where you hang around watching a mining extraction laser for a few days until you get shot to death by someone who couldn't be bothered to sneakily steal the manufacturing instructions from the data port nearby, and you wouldn't want one of those.

"Taking coals to Newcastle" etc.

No, it makes sense - if you've got a mining operation producing tens of thousands of tonnes a day (or more), why would you pay an independent pilot hundreds of times your own production costs to grab another hundred or so? The sorts of mining jobs extraction systems hire people for are the ones where you hang around watching a mining extraction laser for a few days until you get shot to death by someone who couldn't be bothered to sneakily steal the manufacturing instructions from the data port nearby, and you wouldn't want one of those.

"Taking coals to Newcastle" etc.

You can buy coal in Newcastle though (to extend the analogy), Station X could sell Tritium even if there is no demand (by the logic you describe) on the commodity market.

It was in Civil Unrest when I visited, I assume somebody actively caused that to happen. If there had been any missions at all for the second faction I'd have been tempted to try to flip it.

It was in Civil Unrest when I visited, I assume somebody actively caused that to happen. If there had been any missions at all for the second faction I'd have been tempted to try to flip it.
It's uncontrolled right now and still no missions for the second faction but I just dropped at a convoy signal source and destroyed the attacking ships and got a slight reputation increase with them. Might do a few more like that and see if anything changes. They (second faction) tell me to hand in bounties issued by them but so far all the bounties I've accrued have been for the main faction.

It's uncontrolled right now and still no missions for the second faction but I just dropped at a convoy signal source and destroyed the attacking ships and got a slight reputation increase with them. Might do a few more like that and see if anything changes. They (second faction) tell me to hand in bounties issued by them but so far all the bounties I've accrued have been for the main faction.
These happen at Threat 2 Convoy Beacons iirc, and once you get a high enough rep with the target faction, you can switch to passenger missions. From my experience with another asteroid base, these all target the bubble, which is a bit of a slog but with a stripped-down Conda and neutron plotting you can stack them pretty well. Just be careful you don't fail them, it'll hurt.

I'm not as certain on bounties, my information may be outdated, but I believe you can get bounties for the other factions using a KWS, but only on specific targets. Most ships in these far-flung systems will give you totally random bounties with a KWS, but I think that certain ones work - specifically ships you interdict from supercruise, carrying manifest scanners? Something like that. It won't hurt for you to take a KWS with you and try it out.

These happen at Threat 2 Convoy Beacons iirc, and once you get a high enough rep with the target faction, you can switch to passenger missions. From my experience with another asteroid base, these all target the bubble, which is a bit of a slog but with a stripped-down Conda and neutron plotting you can stack them pretty well. Just be careful you don't fail them, it'll hurt.

I'm not as certain on bounties, my information may be outdated, but I believe you can get bounties for the other factions using a KWS, but only on specific targets. Most ships in these far-flung systems will give you totally random bounties with a KWS, but I think that certain ones work - specifically ships you interdict from supercruise, carrying manifest scanners? Something like that. It won't hurt for you to take a KWS with you and try it out.
Ah, OK, thanks for the info. Yeah, I've got myself to cordial with the second mob after doing a few convoy signals.

Didn't think about the KWS thing - it's not typically a piece of equipment I carry and I don't even have one on the carrier to fit to one of my combat ships - something to sort when I'm back in the Bubble.

I checked last night at Station X and I have a fair amount of cart data to tell so I think I'm going to leave the Crab Nebula and head back to the Bubble tonight and hand it in for this week's Community Goal. This is all good stuff to bear in mind for future forays out from the Bubble!

Back in the day I can remember when Station X was known only to a few. The nebula was stunning.

Off now to read the Ol' Timers Almanac...

Attachments

• 17c2c900df4-03c71DAB0F02CE6E966.79BDBECAD242260F_message_417945878712255_1632601088719.jpg
    17c2c900df4-03c71DAB0F02CE6E966.79BDBECAD242260F_message_417945878712255_1632601088719.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom