Now i understand Why People Keep using the word "grind"

These are the donation missions. You donate money, and get an amount of Reputation. They are quick and easy, no travel, no nothing, just sitting there and open your wallet. It makes it "easier" but not "easy", quite expensive in the long run, especially in the higher ranks, you barely notice any increase in your Rep, with just one Donation.

Rank before Rear Admiral ('vette rank, for those who dont know) its roughly 3 donation missions for 1%.

I've been playing for over 2 years and just last week finally got my Corvette, but then I don't do grind - when the fun stops, stop!

I also know a few people that 'have had to' grind for the big ships, then get the ship they wanted but have burnt themselves out and stop playing.

Rank before Rear Admiral ('vette rank, for those who dont know) its roughly 3 donation missions for 1%.

Does the donated amount affect how much % you get?
If it's roughly 300 donations by 25k Cr, then it's cool, but if it's 300 donations by 500k+, I might have to request Millerport for permanent residence.

There are plenty of ways to get to where you want to in Elite. Grinding is one way, but is not the only way.

Also, don't think of getting to one of the big ships as the endgame. There is no end game, you can have just as much fun in a Cobra as you can in a Corvette.

So you think it's a grind at Petty Officer - you ain't seen nothing yet :)

My advise is make sure you enjoy the journey 'cus it could be a long one.

Last edited:
How did you Not grind, in a game with Full of repetitive handful grind quests, Voice in me head?

:) LOL and it gets better - the whole long, hard, exhausting grind will (eventually) reward you with the dream ship, with which....you can continue doing the very same grind [yesnod] :x [noob]

Road itself is the important thing, not the destination ;)

I was replying to the guy I quoted.
I got the Corvette ages ago, and the Anaconda before that. The grind is certainly real if you want anything beyond a Cobra/Viper.

In a cobra I earn about 6 million per hour when playing casually. You have an fdl, the apex hunter, in a weekend.

You dont need t grind, you need to understand what you are doing. At which point you will realize that for the vast majority of activities a corvette is a poor choice anyway.

For me I think the grind comes from the mechanics. I actually don't mind going back and forth between systems trading and doing similar missions (though the receptiveness does start to break the immersion factor). For me personally, supercruise has become the grind. Not because it's hard, but because it requires constant attention for something that we have autopilot for since the 20th Century. If I could just set the AP when I jump into a system and allow it to fly me to the station, it would make me so happy. And buff, as I would probably do some reps with the dumbbells I keep by my PS4 while the ship is in SC. Even Han Solo was allowed to step away from the controls on the trip to Alderaan and do things like talk about the Force with Obi Wan. So please FDev, give us autopilot for supercruise!!!

ps - I never use a docking computer, FYI, as manual docking is fun to me. Manual supercruising is not.

Where in life does grinding not exist. It's a human trait! At 68, there are few if any who play this game that have "Ground" more or longer than I. We are the only biological life forms that perceive life's every day's issues as grnding. I mean, I've dined at least three times a day only to expell the parts my body doesn't need for 68 years; Why? I mean, this is the 21 century, why cant I just take a pill with all the things my body needs thus no waste. OH, sorry, economics would be ruined, the entire toliet paper industry and all it's employee's would cease to exist. Stores would loose millions of dollar in revnue not selling it.

Ironic isn't it, we humans developed the computer to give us more spare time, ok, computers have been here for a couple of generations now. How many of you have more spare time.

Prior to sandbox games, one started and headed immediately towards the end game. The games were short in duration at first, and grew and grew and grew. Since the dawn of games, that has been the process. Sandbox games are simular to real life in general. One can play until there actuall real life body is dead and never finish the game. It's a whole new process we are not aquainted with and takes a lot to get ones head around.

Once one does, sandbox games are the only way to go. I played NMS of 10 hours a day, 6 days a week for 8 months. And finally got bored, put it down, picked up ED, and now I play 8 to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week for the past three weeks. While both games are simular inso much as they are both sandboxed. They have their own personalities kindo of sort of. HUMANS crave more than any thing else besides food, clothing and shelter, variation. Life it self is a grind, playing a conventional game is a grind to the end. Playing a sandbox game is a grind to your end just like real life. It's what you and you alone make it.

Problem is, in real life there's phycological help with life's issues of grinding. And it has a cost to pay of one sort or another. Sandbox games, one has to rely on forums for the same data phycologist make ya pay for. But with a subscription, it's free. LOL In real life if you don't like your therapist, you can always pay another, the same goes for forums, only the next one is free with subscription also.

The key to overcoming a grind - focus on the end goal, and keep in mind that once its done, its DONE.

Thats how I stayed sane(ish) whilst acquiring my Cutter and Corvette.

So i accepted the Challenge to Farm for the biggest warship that is available to us.
Whatever it will Take to get it i will squeeze my teeth and Farm that giant. Well...
So i am Petty Officer,
Where is the boatswain whistle right?
So i have over 8 ranks ahead of me and Stuff is progressing in less than 1 percentages (ALREADY)
This will be a Harder grind than Asian Hardcore grinds where you had to grind for 0.15% in One Hour and lost 15% After each Death. Like Good Old ragnarök online or Archlord. Guess i will Need a Therapy After if i ever achieve Rear Admiral..
This will for Sure bring me to the Brink of Psychological illness.
P.s. im jobless at the Moment. Today i was Thinking how the hell will i do this/and others with a Job. Frontier is kinda overdoing it in my oppinion.

Hey that's a nice idea to add.
All ranks current progress set back to 0% when having a rebuy :D

If I see someone with bruises on their face, I feel bad for them, and offer some help.

I stop feeling bad for them when I find out they were punching themselves in the face.

Every individual Commander chooses whether or not this game is a grind, and they make that choice every single time they leave the docking pad.

Riôt

Top Bottom