Nuclear Warhead Launcher

This would be at the very least a Class 3-4 (Large-Huge) hardpoint costing several million credits. Additionally, you would have to have a permit to posses one. These permits would be issued by superpowers once you had achieved a certain rank.
This hardpoint would carry at most three pieces of ammunition, each of which would cost in the 100,000 to 500,000 credit range. The hardpoint would have a 5 second charge up (holding down the fire button) and a 1 minute reload time. The missile would track the target but only have a manuvability of about 4. On contact with the target or when destroyed, the missile would detonate. The explosion would deal heavy explosion damage out to 1000 m and decreasing damage for another 2000 m.
Additionally, while charging this hardpoint, all ships within 5000 m of you would get a warning that you are charging a nuke, and NPCs would behave accordingly.
This weapon would be able to inflict great damage on a starport, but violating a no-fire zone with a nuke equipped would be grounds for a hefty fine. Firing a nuke at a starport would brand the player a terrorist and make them a target for elite anti-terrorism squads.
Detonating a nuke on a rocky body with an atmosphere would create a gratifying mushroom cloud, and possibly make a crater.
Nuclear weapons might have an effect on Thargoids, unlike other standard weapons.

We don't use nuclear weapons anymore, it's all fusion reaction these days, nothing fission. Radioactive material is too dangerous, when was the last time you saw any for sale or for anyone to mine, we just don't bother with it in the 3300's, that's ancient technology?
Well some of the irl nukes have fusion stage, fission stage is just a primer. Real problem for traditional nuke in space is that apart from high speed plasma, most power comes in hard gamma rays. Explosion damage would need hitting target nearly straight on. Off course there are some possible theoretical devices, like nuke pumped x-ray lasers, or Casaba howitzer, which is nuclear explosive with directed output.

Problem for OP's idea is simple, those would be oneshotter weapons, way too powerfull and would wreck any balance, and making starports vulnerable to player attacks would produce incredible trolling mayhem really irritating many players.

Last edited:
Not in favor of this suggestion and don't think any meaningful depiction of WMDs could be adequately balanced for the game we have, but...

We don't use nuclear weapons anymore, it's all fusion reaction these days, nothing fission. Radioactive material is too dangerous, when was the last time you saw any for sale or for anyone to mine, we just don't bother with it in the 3300's, that's ancient technology?

Pure fusion (or antimatter catalyzed fusion) weapons are still nuclear!

I used a nuclear missile to destroy an Outpost circa 3200. The Imperial Navy gave it to me.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Methinks someone has been watching the expanse. Not a criticism, just an observation.

If I was being critical, I'd say no.

But, give me a nav beacon cannon like the other guys have said, I'd be game for that fun!

Planet Busters are what we need!

planet explosion.jpg

Yea! Finally balanced PvP. The one to press the button first wins... :D ;)
Only if they don't take out any non combatants in range, from what I remember of Energy bombs from 36 years or so ago it will probably be a great way to get to maximum notoriety in one shot.

Top Bottom