Guide / Tutorial Nutter’s explorers guide to the Galaxy

What follows is a guide to exploring the galaxy. Please bear with me while I carry on my research and typing up of notes.

Important Note: Firstly many thanks for all the rep for this post, it has ballooned far beyond just myself for content. So firstly please bear with me while I gather things up (I have a Job and Family)
But more importantly, please remember this has turned into a community effort and a lot of commanders are bringing back valuable data and information. So please ensure you dish out rep where ever you can to these commanders!
A Huge super massive black hole's worth of thanks to all contributing commanders!
Nutter

BETA 2 (1.1) New Features

• You can now plot a course up to 1,000ly in an instant
  • 50% Extra First Finders Bonus Payment (1,000 object pays 1,500)
  • First Finder Commander name now appears on system map
  • Cartographics shows detailed breakdown of discovered objects and value
  • Data can be sold 1 page at a time
  • If you are first to sell an object you get a congratulations breakdown and 50% extra cash
  • Star filter for filtering star classes

I intend to keep it up to date and will be recording to how to videos soon.
All will be collated in this first post, as will any community tips that I am not aware of.

So let’s get exploring...

What you need
Minimum
• A Ship (any)
• Fuel Scoop
• Basic Discovery scanner (Free with most ships and finds objects up to 500ls away from your current location)

Recommended Equipment
SHIPS
• ASP (Up to 38ly)

[video=youtube_share;YPnG3x1yviY]http://youtu.be/YPnG3x1yviY[/video]

• Hauler (Up to 32ly) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffuz1r70hx0ockd/Screenshot_0035.bmp?dl=0

[video=youtube_share;Vy_qbv_r5ok]http://youtu.be/Vy_qbv_r5ok[/video]
MODULES
• D class unless stated (Weight saving)
• A Class Fuel Scoop
• A Class FSD (Frame Shift Drive)
• Advanced Discovery Scanner (Finds everything in the local system)
• Detailed Surface Scanner

Optional Equipment
• Shields optional but recommended
• AFMU (Repair Unit) optional but NOT recommended currently (Adds to your wear and tear costs and cannot repair critical systems)
• Weapons optional (after 400ly you will be all alone)

SCANNERS
Basic scanner - Range 500 Ls
Intermediate - Range 1000 Ls
Advanced - Range Infinite
Detailed Surface - At least doubles payout when a body is scanned

HOW TO SCAN
Select an <UNKNOWN> object and target it.
Then fly towards the object until scanning starts, keeping the object in your target area.
Scanning distance is effected by object size/mass
E.G.
Common star size 'V' will scan @ 5,000ls
Common Gas Giant will scan @ 900ls
Earth Sized planet @ 90ls
Small Moon @ 15ls

STAR GUIDE
Base Star Class (Highest – Lowest Value)
O, B, A, F, G, K, M, L, T, Y

Temp % Bonus (Highest – Lowest Value)
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Size % Bonus (Highest/Largest – Lowest/Smallest Value)
0, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII
Example (Average) Star
G5 IV

SCOOPING

Scoopable star class (Best to worst)
A, B, F, O, G, K, M

Phrase to remember
FOG KBAM - Driving in FOG you could hit somthing KBAM!

Not Scoopable L, T, Y - S, D, N & Black Hole

NEW 2.3 Body Values - Credit to CMDR Fru!

2.3_payouts.jpg

Pre- 2.3 (For Comparison)

SCANNED System body values Data updated from http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/ - Thanks Guys n Gals

Ensure to send some rep to Jackie Silver for this information!

Stars
Class O, B, A, F, G, K, M, L, T, Y 2,400 - 6,600 CR
Black Hole 38,000 - 50,000 CR
Neutron Star 36,000 - 38,000 CR
White Dwarf 22,600 CR
Wolf-Rayet Star (W) 3,000 - 6,600 CR
Carbon Star 2,400 CR
Protostar - (Herbig Ae/Be, T-Tauri) 2,400 - 3,000 CR
Planets & Moons
Belt Cluster, Planetary Ring 0
Gas Giant Class I 2,200 - 3,800 CR
Gas Giant Class II 7,500 - 12,300 CR
Gas Giant Class III 2,200 - 3,800 CR
Gas Giant Class IV 2,200 - 3,800 CR
Gas Giant Class V 2,200 - 3,800 CR
Rocky and/or Icy Planets 600 - 1,200 CR
High Metal Content Planets 4,100 - 8,500 CR
Terraformable Rocky Planets 30,000 - 31,000 CR
Terraformable High Metal Content Planets 30,000 - 45,000 CR
Terraformable High Metal Content Planets with NA[nb 2] 8,600 - 12,400 CR
Metal-Rich Planets 9,000 - 14,000 CR
Water World 18,000 - 36,000 CR
Terraformable Water World 27,000 - 65,000 CR
Ammonia World 33,000 - 35,000 CR
Earth-like World 54,000 - 62,000 CR

OBJECT GUIDE - Stars, planets - all here - Thanks go to Dubardo
Lw01Dg5.jpg
SELLING YOUR DATA
Note: Your rep will increase with which ever faction you choose to sell with - don't sell to your enemy!
Currently all you need to do is sell your data at least 20ly from source.
Traveling further makes no difference to price offered, I got offered the same price 22ly away as I did 320ly away.

Rank Progression
Aimless – Mostly Aimless – Scout – Surveyor – Trailblazer - Pathfinder - Ranger - Pioneer - Elite

Stellar Cartographics Record Breakers
Want to become famous?
Find a record breaking object and you will be!
Go here to find out more!
Thanks and Rep to - Patau82

DO
Scoop often - See Scoop like a Boss Video below

DON'T
Run out of Fuel = Self destruct
Go to a L, T or Y Class star for fuel - as you will not be able to scoop

Photo Tips
To remove HUD press SHIFT+ALT+G
Screen Shot = F10
High Res screen shot = ALT+F10 (SOLO Mode ONLY - Does not work in Open Mode!)
Fly away from stars, at least 2,000ls to get great snaps of nebula (removes light pollution from stars)
Close up encounters of interesting planets make for a great picture.

Videos
How to Scoop like a boss
[video=youtube_share;xqxny4PLZfs]http://youtu.be/xqxny4PLZfs[/video]

Basic Galaxy map guide to the important bits
[video=youtube_share;kk6Znq23txU]http://youtu.be/kk6Znq23txU[/video]

How to Plot a Route
[video=youtube_share;znnWS3o_5l4]http://youtu.be/znnWS3o_5l4[/video]

How to find bodies out of range like a boss
[video=youtube_share;NthC-ZLwsdU]http://youtu.be/NthC-ZLwsdU[/video]

How to avoid warping out in a star
[video=youtube_share;UziQbz5F2ew]http://youtu.be/UziQbz5F2ew[/video]

Training Missions

To get the most out of these missions ensure you have a Detailed Surface Scanner. Advanced Discovery Scanners may spoil some of the fun, however these missions can be completed with a basic scanner.

Training missions start soon and will launch from

COYOTANI System - OBERTH DOCK

Mission 1 - Basic
"Simple Simon" - Ocellus Starport site - Mission transmission received...
Mission transmission received...
Greetings Commander.
HQ has commissioned an Ocellus Starport to assist in our expansion of the galaxy and to resolve a growing shortage of fish stock!
Intel has picked up a system that indicates it may be a candidate for our newly commissioned star port. Your mission should you choose to accept it, is to fly to the HIP 31801 system. Once there we need the entire system scanned in detail, so for best rewards take a surface scanner with you although you will still be paid for basic detail. Our data suggests there are 9 ‘objects’ showing significant mass.
Don’t come back here without all the detail, do half a job and you will be hauling human waste products for a year!
Make a note of any interesting planets, how many bodies there are and what resources are available. Keep an eye out for any planets that could be terraformed as these are a valuable find for our cause!
On your successful return your payment will be available from your local Cartographics office.
One last thing... I’d be interested to know what they pay you..

Good Luck Commander!

Mission 2 - Intermediate
"Where's Wally?" - Major Expansion - Mission transmission received...
Greetings Commander.
HQ was very pleased with the results of your first mission. The Starport is on the way to the site you discovered as we speak.
Now we have a new task, our leading scientists believe they have found a Binary System that could facilitate a major expansion for our cause. We have been struggling with over population for some time now and we desperately need a system with the resources and a planet to terraform.
System Name – “COL 285 SECTOR AL-O D6-150” – Co Ords “180:15:140”
There is speculation that there should be at least two candidates for terraforming and we need you to check it out!
One last thing before you go Commander, there seems to be a distant rouge object that we need a detailed scan of. We are not going to commit to anything in that system until we know what that object is!
On your successful return you payment will be available from your local Cartographics office as before.
Don’t forget we need that detail on the rouge object!
Good Luck Commander!

Mission 3 - Advanced
"Nutter's Playground" - The point of no return - Mission transmission received...
Commander, HQ has a Dangerous Mission for you.

Commander Nutter recently returned from HIP 63835 with extremely valuable data for our Research and Expansion Programme (REP). However he has refused to hand over the data and is demanding a starport in his name before he is willing to hand over this information. Further, he claims that exploration is full of risk with little reward and if he can’t have the appropriate credits then he wants fame!
We have him locked up and are trying to locate the data he brought back, so far we have not been able to find it and we fear it is hidden in one of his many ships docked at remote pirate base.
This is where you come in, we need you to visit the HIP 63835 system and scan it for us, but I have to warn you. We have sent three patrols to this system and NONE have returned. Clearly this is a Dangerous mission and we urge you to be extremely careful.
Scan the system and see if you can find out what happened to our patrols!
On your successful return you payment will be available from your local Cartographics office as before.
When you have your payment I expect a report on my Gpad 1000™ ASAP on those patrols!

Good Luck Commander, you’re going to need it!

Mission 4 - Advanced
"Smoke me a Kipper" - A new Earth
Mission transmission incoming...

A lot more soon... 

Last edited:
On an added note, you can't crash into celestial bodies, so don't be afraid to get too close. You even can emergency-stop every supercuise by heading straight for a star or planet. Note that this is likely to cause you heat damage, the only thing to be afraid of when dealing with celestial bodies. An invisible wall will keep you from crashing, and a warning message will tell you that you can't get any closer.

I misused the basic discovery scanner the whole time though. Thanks for that.

Looking forward to seeing the final version, but unless it has been changed in Release I think the Basic scanner's range is about 600 Ls and the Intermediate approximately 1200.
-
On a personal note, I prefer to have A class thusters. Although they add weight they mean I can easily outrun anyone who interdicts me when I return to "civilisation". I just submit to interdictions (thus avoiding the risk of damage), fire up the engines and leave them for dust :D .

Thanks for starting this guide.

Under "Don't" you mention T-class stars for refuelling and further up, L, T and Y. This could be standardised to avoid potential missunderstanding.

Looking forward to seeing the final version, but unless it has been changed in Release I think the Basic scanner's range is about 600 Ls and the Intermediate approximately 1200.
-

Thanks, I'm doing 20 things at once but there have been a lot of post about exploring so...

I've added a scanner section, I have not (as yet) set up a basic set to get the distances, I had a feeling they were less, maybe 500 & 1000/ls but closer now :) Cheers +1

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Thanks for starting this guide.

Under "Don't" you mention T-class stars for refuelling and further up, L, T and Y. This could be standardised to avoid potential missunderstanding.

Cheers, uptated :) +1

News... I'm just uploading the how to scoop like a boss video and hard at work putting together 3 missions/challenges for new explorers. Each exploring mission will have ACTUAL rewards. I'm just working on the Easy level, intermediate and advanced are done, backward I know but it's how I roll.

Content on how to explore will be fleshed out and please bear with me while I get things together.

Anyone interested in taking part in the training missions should think about heading over to...

COYOTANI System

Missions launch from

OBERTH DOCK

I will give REP to the first people to complete the Missions .....

Watch this space.... See what I did there? :D

Liking this, rep to you sir. Particularly interested in the payouts ... I tend to ignore red dwarves with loads of icy planets but if you do loads then you can get quite a payout

Thank you Nutter. As an explorer I really appreciate your advice. Can't wait for your "How to find bodies out of range like a boss" video. I found a few myself by seeing some AI take off into the middle of no where, wondering where they were going and followed them to some far out systems.

Rep to you Commander.

I'm a bit cautious (paranoid? ;) ) and have set my asp up for all eventualities. Let us say that if I was to bump into say, a thargoid, I would not be going down without a fight. I know Braben says they are not in at the moment, but hey.

Still get 29.5 LY range, which works fine so far sub 1000ly out from the fringe. I have read that I'll need a few more further out.

I shall perhaps build a second asp for deep space. Now that would be extravagant. A whole stable of them.

Rep to you Commander.

I'm a bit cautious (paranoid? ;) ) and have set my asp up for all eventualities. Let us say that if I was to bump into say, a thargoid, I would not be going down without a fight. I know Braben says they are not in at the moment, but hey.

Still get 29.5 LY range, which works fine so far sub 1000ly out from the fringe. I have read that I'll need a few more further out.

I shall perhaps build a second asp for deep space. Now that would be extravagant. A whole stable of them.

Indeed - I kitted my ASP to have a punch and still get 32 - 33ly on a good day :) Details will be added when I am happy with loadout...

Ok... this is hard work but I have now finalised the first 4 Missions, Mission 1 Transmission expected soon... Details are in the first post and tantalising mission titles are in. :D

If you ever wondered what makes exploring fun and rewarding.... now is the time to find out Commanders!

Surely for exploring jump range isn't everything, as IMO you need to explore every system ;)

I'm currently using a tricked out Sidey, with class C scoop replacing the cargo rack and upgraded main components giving me ~12ly jump range if needed, very cheap to buy and quick to scoop fuel. Rebuy cost is only ~540cr !

Top Bottom