Horizons Obsidian about exploration

It's hard to argue. The exploration mechanics always felt extremely perfunctory. I like the notion that the Orrery View (my favourite missing feature) would tie in with this. [Although my main idea for the Orrery View is that it should visualise the political states of systems, showing ships and POI in particular locations.]

Back to Mr. Ant's wonderful video -- the main thing I agree with is that material finding should tie in with planetary scanning. It would make you feel like a proper detective rather than a Clousea-like bumbler.

I don't want to be the pessimistic guy. But I think we're thousands of light years from this kind of details. But yeah, It would be great.

Well, yes it might take a while but I certainly do believe FD will revisit exploration when they have the time.

Scanning of objects is such a big part of the game that it certainly deserves some love and the time FD invests in this will pay back big time, because it will have a huge influence on how the game feels.

And it is not just about the scanning of celestial objects which Obsidian Ant addresses in his video.
Also the way we find USS in space would profit from a mechanism with more player agency.
I think if we would have something more akin to the SRV scanner in space it would make searching for stuff much more exciting.
I think the SRV scanner is a superb tool. Kudos to the devs who came up with that.

Last edited:
I love the exploration and scanning ideas presented in Obsidian Ant's latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOz6g92TX0g

I always look forward to Obsidian's videos...

And my view on exploration and the like? Well, here's what I posted on his video:-

I think as regards valuable resources, unless these particularly valuable resources are stateful, such that as people mine them until they are gone, it's all a bit worthless IMHO. Why fly out to find rich resources if the ones more local to the bubble (or indeed just a system away) never run out? I'd envisage rare rich resource sites existing on surfaces and in rings, and when discovered, as they are mined, their "value" drops, until such time as they reach zero, and are then considered depleted. They would then simply be treated as "normal". eg: I explore well outside the bubble and find a rich resource of gold in a specific location around a planetary ring. I call out a group of friends and togethor we mine it. Being a rich resource for gold, the percentage of gold we'd extract from asteroids would be far higher than usual. But as we extract gold, the site's ingame value reduces until such time as it reaches zero, and it's then gone. Until we get stateful behaviour like this I can't help but think a huge factor of exploration, resource discovery and mining is missing.

[See my sig "Improved Mining" for more]​

Last edited:
Exploration is why I brought ED , now there's 2 trillion more reasons to go out beyond the rim... (Getting closer to my Billion to make that ship)

Be nice to have exploration as the focus in any future Frontier updates and planning

Last edited:
Exploration is why I brought ED , now there's 2 trillion more reasons to go out beyond the rim... (Getting closer to my Billion to make that ship)

Be nice to have exploration as the focus in any future Frontier updates and planning

Exploration really does need some more love, and I have faith that they will figure out what it needs to really make it shine in the future.

Top Bottom