Oculus Rift problem...a constant stutter/hitch

So today I dusted off my Oculus Rift to start enjoying Elite in VR again. When I last used it, about a year and a half ago, it worked flawlessly. No issues with stuttering or hitching. Once I found the sweet spot for graphics settings it was a joy to use.

Today, I'm left frustrated and scratching my head after several hours of trying to troubleshoot a stutter/hitching problem. I even threw my arms up in defeat and deleted the Oculus software I was so mad. I'm cooled off now and I wanted to see if anyone here might have seen something similar to what I'm experiencing.

I have this constant stutter, or hitch or whatever..almost like a slight pause or a tick, about every 4 to 5 seconds of gameplay. It took me a while to realize that it was a constant issue with pretty consistent timing. It was actually the holographic Thargoid bobblehead that gave it away. Every 4-5 secounds, on the dot, the movement of the bobblehead would slightly pause or stutter. When sitting still in my ship it's easy to miss, but when I'm flying around it translates into a huge stutter ever 4-5 seconds. The game is unplayable in VR because of this. Outside of VR it runs fine.

It does not matter what graphical settings I have the game at. I tried it on the highest and lowest settings, different refresh rates and even with the HMD quality turned down to 0.50 which made the game look like a mess. The tick is still there regardless. I deleted and reinstalled the game, made sure the Oculus hardware and software were up to date, made sure that Microsoft game mode was disabled...makes no difference.

My PC has a RTX2080, Ryzen 5 @ 4.0 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz. Same hardware I used a year and a half ago, no hardware changes. Does anyone have any idea on what I can try next, or has anyone ever seen something similar to this?

I'm in the same boat. In the last couple of months I've noticed this. Every 5 or 6 second interval I get this, I'll call it like frame skip. It does not matter what I do or where I am.
Like you I tried to decrease graphical settings, it didn't work. I used oculus tray tool to see the performance and I've got like 50% overhead on the gpu so no resource issue. I noticed that for a split second it just drops from 80fps to 74 fps.
Cpu is 8700k so no issues there either.
32gb ram so no issues there.
Everything is updated, drivers, windows etc.
No idea what is happening.
Tried looking online for solutions, seems we are not the only ones experiencing this.
No one has a solution to this.
Seeing that this issue is only happening with ED, I think that's our culprit. But don't know for sure.

I'm in the same boat. In the last couple of months I've noticed this. Every 5 or 6 second interval I get this, I'll call it like frame skip. It does not matter what I do or where I am.
Like you I tried to decrease graphical settings, it didn't work. I used oculus tray tool to see the performance and I've got like 50% overhead on the gpu so no resource issue. I noticed that for a split second it just drops from 80fps to 74 fps.
Cpu is 8700k so no issues there either.
32gb ram so no issues there.
Everything is updated, drivers, windows etc.
No idea what is happening.
Tried looking online for solutions, seems we are not the only ones experiencing this.
No one has a solution to this.
Seeing that this issue is only happening with ED, I think that's our culprit. But don't know for sure.

I've seen some of the reports of people experiencing this issue but no solution seems to improve the problem. I'm just confused, because it all worked so well before. Maybe something with ED changed, maybe the Oculus App or the firmware in the headset is screwy...who knows.

I'm curious to know if this is an Oculus specific problem, or if many brands of VR headsets have encountered the same issue. I was considering upgrading to an Valve Index sometime soon, but considering ED is the main game I play in VR I'm not sure I want to do that now.

At any rate, I did a reset on my PC and I'm starting with a fresh install of Elite and the Oculus software and nothing else on the machine. If it doesn't work then my Rift will go back to collecting dust.

Deleted member 121570

D
Sounds stupid, but try without the bobblehead...

I dunno why, but I always get an FPS hit with any bobbleheads.

I've seen some of the reports of people experiencing this issue but no solution seems to improve the problem. I'm just confused, because it all worked so well before. Maybe something with ED changed, maybe the Oculus App or the firmware in the headset is screwy...who knows.

I'm curious to know if this is an Oculus specific problem, or if many brands of VR headsets have encountered the same issue. I was considering upgrading to an Valve Index sometime soon, but considering ED is the main game I play in VR I'm not sure I want to do that now.

At any rate, I did a reset on my PC and I'm starting with a fresh install of Elite and the Oculus software and nothing else on the machine. If it doesn't work then my Rift will go back to collecting dust.

It's frustrating for sure. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't play other games. Half life alyx, boneworks, beatsaber and others are well worth it. Especially now that more games are coming to vr

Just to update, the reset on my PC did seem to fix the problem, I can now play in VR without any problems. Unfortunately, I still don't know what it was that caused the problem in the first place, but my suspicion is possibly Steam VR causing some sort of conflict.

On the other hand, I have a new issue now but one that I can work around. If I open Oculus first and then open the Elite launcher, I get an error message "Unhandled Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and the launcher will close itself. But if I open the launcher first then everyone works as it should.

Try to play with tray tool, maybe force ASW off.

As for the second problem - you need to redact ED statup configuration file, cus its conflicting with oculus home, and its somewhat releated with vcred version. Dev commented on that - you need to swap VC++ version lines, but i cant find that thread

I had the same problem. I had stopped playing ED a while back and as it was the only game I used VR for I had stop using my Rift as well. A few months back I finally upgraded to a high end system and was eager to try out VR and ED at max or near max settings. To my surprise even Home had stutter when looking around. Researched and tried lots of things but still have the issue. Sometimes it's much more noticable. A new update dropped for Oculus yesterday and it was back worse than ever. I don't think it's the game as I can see it in home as well. Mostly likely to do with my USB3 ports not being 100% compatible.

Top Bottom