Guide / Tutorial Odyssey Biological and Geological Guide

My personal belief is that this is simply your subconcious telling you this is not worth it.
No, I was very much aware it wasn't worth it. ^^ I was going for Exploration V anyway and thought I'd see how far I could get with Exobiology. Maybe some data went missing, but on average the payout seems to be correct based on the numbers you and Diwrnach supplied. Either that or we all got screwed over without knowing it. I don't think I'm going for Elite anytime soon if that means I have to scan another thousand of those. :XD

By the way, are the Unique Genus/Species Data Logged the Codex entries? The game doesn't actually tell you that you were the first to find something in a sector, I had to either find out by watching the Codex Discoveries creep up by more than 100-150K or by constantly checking the Codex.

By the way, are the Unique Genus/Species Data Logged the Codex entries? The game doesn't actually tell you that you were the first to find something in a sector, I had to either find out by watching the Codex Discoveries creep up by more than 100-150K or by constantly checking the Codex.
I don't know. It's plausible and that would be my guess too, but I'd have to comb through my records to see if the numbers line up.

I don't know. It's plausible and that would be my guess too, but I'd have to comb through my records to see if the numbers line up.
There's still a bug with disappearing Codex entries that should hopefully be fixed in Update 7. Perhaps not just the entry goes missing, but the data too if it's still on your person? :p

I have an update on the issue you mentioned with bio signals and unidentified organics not always matching up.

Near Barnard's Loop I found an icy moon with a 100% Methane atmosphere that only had 1 bio signal but 2 unidentified organics, which made it very easily to investigate this particular issue in isolation. The heatmap filter on my DSS indicated that the only available filter was for Bacteria Colonies, and when I switched between that filter and 'All' nothing seemed to change. I did NOT find a second organic no matter how hard I looked. The one organic I did find was Bacterium Bullaris - Red.

I spent about an hour orbiting the planet looking for different types of terrain to search. I ended up searching both smooth and rocky plains, canyons and the flat tops of mesas (which were particularly breathtaking, by the way), and I even took into consideration that the moon was tidally locked and searched the opposite side of the planet, taking into consideration potential factors like amount of shade and elevation. I also stopped and used my composition scanner on every bacteria colony I found, no matter how similar it appeared to the first organic, and scanned it to see if it was maybe a different type of colony or a different color of Bullaris. At the end of the day, either the second organic isn't there, or its EXTREMELY difficult to find.

No clue if the extra organics are supposed to be there or not, but if they are then as far as I can tell, they aren't showing up. I hope this helps narrow down what exactly is happening with the system info discrepancy.
I had this before and it was caused by signals being picked up from a nearby body rather than the body I was scanning. Is there a close moon with bio signals?

His comment was from before one of the last updates which removed the "extra" bio signals.
Exactly. I updated the second post accordingly. It says:
Additional Organics in the Genome Tab: Before update 6, when you scan a planet, it says there are (for example) 4 categories of Geological Signal. When you look at the Planet's Genome tab, there are (sometimes) more than 4 organics to be discovered! This has been confirmed as a bug and fixed in Update 6! These two should now correlate!
We like to keep up to date around here! :cool:

Update 7 Patch Notes:

• A fix has been implemented around mineral distribution from fumerole objects:
    • Bit more on this, so there's now improved consistency/rate for when finding particular grades of materials on planetary surfaces.

Addressing the RNG of Geological Features...

The Odyssey bio drops still have issues. Yesterday I had the "stratum problem". There is stratum on the floor, right in front of me, in utter abundance, but I was not able to get a bio scan. After lift off the bluemap in the DSS no longer showed the name of the bio signal (albeit it did do the blue marker quite fine). This was a planet with only one signal. Another one with two (bacteria and stratum) let me scan the bacteria but not the stratum; after lift off the names of the signals in the DSS were gone so that a switch between the different kinds of bio signal were no longer possible. It seems to be a special kind of stratum that causes the problems which affect the bluemap. but without a scan we are unable to determine the exact name.

Top Bottom