Odyssey, blight, and the desecration of trees

Also, while i'm not big on crazy emotes and stuff usable everywhere.

The bar in a tourist port really should have a dance floor.
Yeah but apparently, it was decided that anything which is not a glorified lobby and a bunch of maps to kill stuff in it was "tedious" and "repetitive".

I do wonder whether somebody at Frontier is spending all day trying to tweak and balance properties on the new materials... -Everything in the game appears much more shiny - specular and reflective, than it used to, including things like mists and smokes, and the look of things can change wildly as one look/move around, and angular relationships between object, observer, light sources, and environment change.

Thing is... I seem to recall FDev answered: "Yes", when somebody asked back in Kickstarter days whether Elite: Dangerous would be using Physically Based Rendering, so... Did it? Did we already have PBR shaders and materials since the get-go, in base game and Horizons, or have they up until now been of a more... "traditional" kind, and now being replaced across the board?

(EDIT: I must say it looks to me like much more kind of looks like deferred rendering than before. I seem to recall there was talk about there (previously) having been a mix of deferred and forward, and things like ground surfaces certainly have gained a lot of aliasing, more than might be explained by their having become shinier, and more detailed...)

Last edited:
Had another look after the Lighting improvements" in patch 5:

ED_Odyssey_Parkland_5.JPG

...Um. Not impressed.

I did have a good look around, it's OK in the less well-lit parts of the station. This is the best I could find:

ED_Odyssey_Parkland_5b.JPG

But such areas are in the minority. Overview of the station interior:

ED_Odyssey_Parkland_5c.JPG

Compare this with a similar view in Horizons:

ED_Horizons_Parkland_5.JPG

This looks good everywhere, no need to seek out the shadows in a too-bright interior.

View attachment 246485

...Um. Not impressed.

I did have a good look around, it's OK in the less well-lit parts of the station. This is the best I could find:

View attachment 246488

View attachment 246489

View attachment 246490

This looks good everywhere, no need to seek out the shadows in a too-bright interior.
Lightning was messed up with odyssey. Too bright or too dark, rarely in between.

View attachment 246485

...Um. Not impressed.

View attachment 246488

View attachment 246489

View attachment 246490

I want to keep the Horizons beauty of Elite :(

Also, while i'm not big on crazy emotes and stuff usable everywhere.

The bar in a tourist port really should have a dance floor.

Skyrim had a "drink" animation. We should at least have one for (1) Beer (2) mixed drinks (3) martinis (4) milk (for those of us that like cookies).

this is because the problem is not just “lighting “… It’s something fundamental that is messed with hue, tone, texture throughout the game. When I read F devs Patch knows they seem to be tackling this bytreating the symptoms in an oddly piecemeal fashion like “lighting an XX environment has been tweaked “…rather than treating whatever the disease is…something fundamental has distorted a whole range of things across-the-board. It is most obvious when you go in Burning stations following a thargoid attack. It’s lost all atmosphere… The mist, the depth cues, the smoke and the fire the tone is all screwed or gone.

after watching the Patch progress and I am becoming convinced that we are looking at a situation where The talent that created all these environments is no longer with the company, and the people currently there that don’t fully understand how this actually works.

Last edited:
after watching the Patch progress and I am becoming convinced that we are looking at a situation where The talent that created all these environments is no longer with the company, and the people currently there that don’t fully understand how this actually works.
You might be right, pal.
I'd like to know where the talent is working now, just in case.

Top Bottom