Odyssey for PS4

Given that Odyssey was originally supposed to release in Dec 2020 on PC and console together at once, you'd have thought that - almost a year later - they would have at least something resembling a plan.
I think the plan is " if we ignore it [consoles], then it will go away". Which players probably are after so long with no apparent movement towards having odyssey., nor any meaningful update.

I too got excited when i saw the horizons (consoles too) update, and the increased storage and bookmarks were really useful. Then the issues with weapons were discovered and yet again consoles are back of the queue for the fix to get the weapons to work at the engineered levels, possibly this week, probably next week.
Did we get any update...? There wasn't anything I noticed when I played Horizons... I thought they pulled console update additions, made no apparent difference to the Horizons game...

I would have thought that the Project Manager for Odyssey would have been 'down the road...' long since for the scrappy mess that Odyssey is now known for! The project is not the best demonstration of a well planned and executed release by any standards. The failure to keep the console community kept 'in the loop' on development for consoles, is shockingly bad considering, no professional company would be proud of such poor PR.

Did we get any update...? There wasn't anything I noticed when I played Horizons... I thought they pulled console update additions, made no apparent difference to the Horizons game...

I would have thought that the Project Manager for Odyssey would have been 'down the road...' long since for the scrappy mess that Odyssey is now known for! The project is not the best demonstration of a well planned and executed release by any standards. The failure to keep the console community kept 'in the loop' on development for consoles, is shockingly bad considering, no professional company would be proud of such poor PR.
2 check the news forum.

So yeeeeah, FDev sinks more Devs into useless stuff for odyssey like emote stuff and cosmetics compatibility... But the elephant is still in the room: Still no ETA for us for EDO for (base) ps4. This is so discouraging and disrespectful.

(And if I compare the EDO graphics to ME4:Andromeda I see no reason why it should not run well on base ps4 (despite of impropper coding...) at least ME4 looked better and ran smooth even on my base ps4.
So yeah... FD, get your chaos sorted and give us at LEAST some INFORAMTION / a rough (!) roadmap

Last edited:
My main gripe is that the PC guys are having all the fun..................
Are they?!?!?!?!

All I see on these boards is whingers and complainers, not PC players "supporting" Odyssey.

I've been replaying the game with a new Cmdr on PS4 for the past few years after putting in over 6000hrs on the PC as Cmdr Pingmonster (that's all in my signature below).

I could go back to the PC version and Pingmonster, buy Odyssey for the PC and have the new stuff now, however, I'm enjoying the game so much on the PS4 I'm content to wait for Odyssey on the PS4.

I'm prepared to wait for Odyssey on the PS4 because I'm sure it will be done properly and have many less problems than the PC version has had since release.

I don't see a lot of PC players having fun here with Odyssey, unless complaining is some type of fun for those people.

[Edit]If you want to be annoyed about a game developer either not delivering a game or releasing buggy stuff just buy something developed by Microsoft Studios...[/Edit]

Last edited:
Guys, like I said, just assume that Odyssey isn't coming to old consoles. That way it won't be such a disappointment if we are told that.

As long as they don't mess up Horizons when they merge the two, then fine, I'll keep playing Horizons, but I am not spending hundreds of pounds or more on a PS5 or gaming PC just to play Odyssey.

It really doesn't bother me at all, don't you worry.
We're working all we can and to the best we can with what we have right now, so there's really nothing more I can do or any way I can feel other than keep working with everyone to get Commanders the best we can.
Afternoon Sally, we do appreciate all the effort that is being put in across the board to fix the PC version of EDO and the strides (huge leaps if I’m being honest) that have been made in engaging with us as a whole. A key to that, for me at least, was the notion of honesty which some (Arthur mainly) have been unfairly lampooned for by a few. Delivering bad news re ship interiors and VR etc. although it wasn’t pleasant to hear was news and set/reset expectations and players could then make an informed choice on next steps.

As it stands 5 months after the game launched on PC (and around the time we were expecting our earliest release) we have had no news, zip, nada and nowt we’re totally in limbo and that really isn’t a pleasant place to be in all honesty. Especially as it took months to answer other queries re the split launch raised by console CMDRs in relation to BGS etc.

We currently have no idea if the Devs have even looked at how to port onto console (I’m guessing that they have as they’re pretty good and as mentioned further up in the thread we were all sup to get EDO in Dec 20), we have no idea if it’s going to be last gen (PS4 and XBox1) when they do in which we don’t need to do anything, we have no idea if EDO will be coded for current gen (PS5 and XBoxS which would make sense given they’re going to be around for the next 5-10 years) and as such we need to save to buy one (if you can ever find one lol) or if EDO will never drop on last or current gen consoles and we need start saving to buy a PC/laptop to continue blazing our own trail, which currently is a quite hefty investment of both money and time if the current porting of CMDR mechanics is used :-/

As it stands I’m currently saving up for the two options of either newer gen console or joining the master race with an expectation of EDO dropping on console (whichever flavour) at some point in the summer of 22...which covers most bases I think, hope!

I, and I think all, would really appreciate an actual statement on the current status in respect of console release and if that is ‘we’ve not looked at it at all, our efforts are solely focused on PC until Q1 22 after which we’re going to review the console version of EDO and we’ll give you our plan in Q2 22’ then at least we have a timeline (we might not like it but we have it) and we can plan accordingky.

Something to think about and if it is feasible then please do it, definitely not a personal attack or anything like that as you guys are doing an awesome job in difficult circumstance, just a bit of a ramble as I have a rare day off work and it is peeing down outside :)

o7 CMDR

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Afternoon Sally, we do appreciate all the effort that is being put in across the board to fix the PC version of EDO and the strides (huge leaps if I’m being honest) that have been made in engaging with us as a whole. A key to that, for me at least, was the notion of honesty which some (Arthur mainly) have been unfairly lampooned for by a few. Delivering bad news re ship interiors and VR etc. although it wasn’t pleasant to hear was news and set/reset expectations and players could then make an informed choice on next steps.

As it stands 5 months after the game launched on PC (and around the time we were expecting our earliest release) we have had no news, zip, nada and nowt we’re totally in limbo and that really isn’t a pleasant place to be in all honesty. Especially as it took months to answer other queries re the split launch raised by console CMDRs in relation to BGS etc.

We currently have no idea if the Devs have even looked at how to port onto console (I’m guessing that they have as they’re pretty good and as mentioned further up in the thread we were all sup to get EDO in Dec 20), we have no idea if it’s going to be last gen (PS4 and XBox1) when they do in which we don’t need to do anything, we have no idea if EDO will be coded for current gen (PS5 and XBoxS which would make sense given they’re going to be around for the next 5-10 years) and as such we need to save to buy one (if you can ever find one lol) or if EDO will never drop on last or current gen consoles and we need start saving to buy a PC/laptop to continue blazing our own trail, which currently is a quite hefty investment of both money and time if the current porting of CMDR mechanics is used :-/

As it stands I’m currently saving up for the two options of either newer gen console or joining the master race with an expectation of EDO dropping on console (whichever flavour) at some point in the summer of 22...which covers most bases I think, hope!

I, and I think all, would really appreciate an actual statement on the current status in respect of console release and if that is ‘we’ve not looked at it at all, our efforts are solely focused on PC until Q1 22 after which we’re going to review the console version of EDO and we’ll give you our plan in Q2 22’ then at least we have a timeline (we might not like it but we have it) and we can plan accordingky.

Something to think about and if it is feasible then please do it, definitely not a personal attack or anything like that as you guys are doing an awesome job in difficult circumstance, just a bit of a ramble as I have a rare day off work and it is peeing down outside :)

o7 CMDR
I think what's the most, is every week some of you will go to this exact length of writing to message the very same sentiment each time, with my response being the same truncated...quick reply :(
I don't see any of these as personal attacks, honestly, I just...you all write your hearts out and here I am. Three lines of the same reply. I'll keep doing the do o7

Last edited:
I think what's the most, is every week some of you will go to this exact length of writing to message the very same sentiment each time, with my response being the same truncated...quick reply :(
I don't see any of these as personal attacks, honestly, I just...you all write your hearts out and here I am. Three lines of the same reply. I'll keep doing the do o7
It's a regular dance we like to do.
Console users - When's it coming?
Frontier - Can't tell you
Console users - what features will consoles have?
Frontier - nothing to say at the moment
Console users - have consoles been cancelled?
Frontier - We still intend to release on consoles.

At some point Frontier will say 'consoles coming x' and we wont know what to do

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I recently downloaded Elite Dangerous for PS4 and it seems absolutely superb. My only complaint is that I never got it sooner.

I’m glad that I never read the forum comments from some of the other PlayStation users before hand, because if I had, I would never have purchased the game all.
Many are jaded veterans who have played it for hours or are frustrated with bugs or game breaking issues which seem to go unfixed.

Having said that, yes it totally is a great game. Welcome and fly safe CMDR. o7.

Guys, like I said, just assume that Odyssey isn't coming to old consoles. That way it won't be such a disappointment if we are told that.

As long as they don't mess up Horizons when they merge the two, then fine, I'll keep playing Horizons, but I am not spending hundreds of pounds or more on a PS5 or gaming PC just to play Odyssey.
Dropping the old console means dropping most of the console community, since you still can't buy a ps5 for a reasonable price unless you are really really lucky. Unless you spend almost 200 Euros more (like a buddy did on Ebay) here in Germany.
As far as i read the console community makes about a third of the whole ED community.

Cutting away the ps4s means cutting away profits, since the ps5-community is still a real minority. And this will not change anytime soon, considering the lack of semiconductors.
I am sure (if Odyssey will ever come to the consoles) it will come for the ps4. Sure, it will not look as good as on pc, but lets be honest. Mass Effect 4: Andromeda even looked better in terms of Settlement graphics and ran smooth, even on my basic ps4. So why should odyssey (which is NOT superior graphicswise to ME4) should not (unless the new Cobra engine is massively inefficient with ressources and CPU time - this would also mean, the new engine has not beem developed with ps4 in mind. Would be a real shame!)? Just because a better console is semi-available? If FDev decides to cut away the ps4 any time before 2023 they will cut away many users and profit. This is a money question. Even many hyped ps5-titles like Horizon Forbidden West will come in a ps4 edition. Why? Because of money and the lack of supply with new consoles.

And people who are cut away before the have a ps5 will unlikely come back to ED after they bought a ps5 some years later, when the semiconductor crisis is over.

And as far as I read a ps5 pro is planned for 2023/24... so, yeah. Some people want to buy and don't get one and some hesitate and speculate for a pro OR hesitate due to the more or less wider spread heat issues due to uncooled RAM-banks... anyway... If it will come for console, the compiling target must be the ps4, from a financial point of view. Otherwise FD will lose money... more than the already due to the console delay (Will the players, who have gone, come back?!)

Example: I have many a game in my to do list for ps4 and limited time to play. Will I buy an overpriced ps5 from not-trustworthy guys in ebay at the moment? Nope. Will I buy a ps5 pro in one or two years? if the price is back to normal, yes. Will I come back to ED then, if odyssey is then gets available for me (if its only for ps5)? Unlikely... ED is not the center of my universe. If I am delivered content, I can only play by buying an overpriced console right nowmor wait some years, they may keep it. Life's too short, for coming back to such an old game then. Then I will have fun with games, that come with real nextgen graphic - not what EDO looks like (see my comparison with ME4 from many years ago)

No, this is not a rant. I tried to keep all emotions out of the text.

If always kinda laugh if the guys, who already got a ps5 write, it will only come for ps5. At least some of them hope to gain a little reason for having bought an overpriced console from the scalpers. ;)

And if FDev decides to keep the console development on hold until the ps5 market share is bigger, than the console community will have starved to the lack of content until this point. This will not make sense financially. Who will come back then, to a grindy old game to get after so many years a dlc and to grind again while the interesting stuff has already been done be the pc guys and every build-meta has been figured out and every mechanism has been reverse engineered?

Edit: Another point of view. The longer FDev delays the console the release, the more potential earnings will they lose. Why?
Many players who have left will never come back. Also the odyssey content will grow old. Even I start to lose more and more interest, since I watched maybe one youtube video too much on this topic. My hypelevel is decreasing due to frustration and chewing over the same EDH content over and over again. If I have to wait for another year, I might have lost interest at all.
Also... the bigger the offering of suit cosmetics has grown, the more likely it is, that a player will only buy one design. In contrast to the pc players who buy an early design suit cosmetic, and than an nicer one, an than an even more nicer one etc. This delay costs money. This is a race against time. I really hope FDev keeps this in mind and allocated enough coders, to get this stuff up and running very soon.

Last edited:
Dropping the old console means dropping most of the console community, since you still can't buy a ps5 for a reasonable price unless you are really really lucky. Unless you spend almost 200 Euros more (like a buddy did on Ebay) here in Germany.
As far as i read the console community makes about a third of the whole ED community.

Cutting away the ps4s means cutting away profits, since the ps5-community is still a real minority. And this will not change anytime soon, considering the lack of semiconductors.
I am sure (if Odyssey will ever come to the consoles) it will come for the ps4. Sure, it will not look as good as on pc, but lets be honest. Mass Effect 4: Andromeda even looked better in terms of Settlement graphics and ran smooth, even on my basic ps4. So why should odyssey (which is NOT superior graphicswise to ME4) should not (unless the new Cobra engine is massively inefficient with ressources and CPU time - this would also mean, the new engine has not beem developed with ps4 in mind. Would be a real shame!)? Just because a better console is semi-available? If FDev decides to cut away the ps4 any time before 2023 they will cut away many users and profit. This is a money question. Even many hyped ps5-titles like Horizon Forbidden West will come in a ps4 edition. Why? Because of money and the lack of supply with new consoles.

And people who are cut away before the have a ps5 will unlikely come back to ED after they bought a ps5 some years later, when the semiconductor crisis is over.

And as far as I read a ps5 pro is planned for 2023/24... so, yeah. Some people want to buy and don't get one and some hesitate and speculate for a pro OR hesitate due to the more or less wider spread heat issues due to uncooled RAM-banks... anyway... If it will come for console, the compiling target must be the ps4, from a financial point of view. Otherwise FD will lose money... more than the already due to the console delay (Will the players, who have gone, come back?!)

Example: I have many a game in my to do list for ps4 and limited time to play. Will I buy an overpriced ps5 from not-trustworthy guys in ebay at the moment? Nope. Will I buy a ps5 pro in one or two years? if the price is back to normal, yes. Will I come back to ED then, if odyssey is then gets available for me (if its only for ps5)? Unlikely... ED is not the center of my universe. If I am delivered content, I can only play by buying an overpriced console right nowmor wait some years, they may keep it. Life's too short, for coming back to such an old game then. Then I will have fun with games, that come with real nextgen graphic - not what EDO looks like (see my comparison with ME4 from many years ago)

No, this is not a rant. I tried to keep all emotions out of the text.

If always kinda laugh if the guys, who already got a ps5 write, it will only come for ps5. At least some of them hope to gain a little reason for having bought an overpriced console from the scalpers. ;)

And if FDev decides to keep the console development on hold until the ps5 market share is bigger, than the console community will have starved to the lack of content until this point. This will not make sense financially. Who will come back then, to a grindy old game to get after so many years a dlc and to grind again while the interesting stuff has already been done be the pc guys and every build-meta has been figured out and every mechanism has been reverse engineered?

Edit: Another point of view. The longer FDev delays the console the release, the more potential earnings will they lose. Why?
Many players who have left will never come back. Also the odyssey content will grow old. Even I start to lose more and more interest, since I watched maybe one youtube video too much on this topic. My hypelevel is decreasing due to frustration and chewing over the same EDH content over and over again. If I have to wait for another year, I might have lost interest at all.
Also... the bigger the offering of suit cosmetics has grown, the more likely it is, that a player will only buy one design. In contrast to the pc players who buy an early design suit cosmetic, and than an nicer one, an than an even more nicer one etc. This delay costs money. This is a race against time. I really hope FDev keeps this in mind and allocated enough coders, to get this stuff up and running very soon.
The main issue is perception. Perhaps the game will run great on the PS4. I hope it does.

However, the game was developed for PC and then transferred to PS4 3 years later. It's fair to say that a console port may not have been in the minds of the original code writers. The perception bit comes in when we see how the game is running on some recommended spec PCs seeing tanking of frame rates. We have to get from a place where Odyssey is running inconsistently on PCs that should run it well and from here we have to get to a point where it runs well on 8 year old consoles.

It seems a stretch, certainly if you want something that is runs smoothly, looks good and is released relatively soon. My guess is as far as PS4 is concerned, we can pick 2 out of those 3 attributes.

Top Bottom