Odyssey, not for explorers?

I honestly forgot all the non-weapon equipment that does get loaded onto hardpoints. I was wrong!

o7
If you think about it, Limpets are ammunition. They take up literally tons of space. You could easily convert a limpet controller into a hardpoint and change limpets to regular ammunition. Hell, my mining ship would love that.

So you want to add more grind for explorers who just really want to be out in the Black?
I honestly don't understand the telescope bit, exploration means just that, go explore, find stuff.
The FSS thingy is only to get a rough idea what is in the system, its perfectly right that you have to get up close with a planet/object to actually investigate.

As for Odyssey not adding anything for explorers just being able to get out of my SRV and look up at the sky is enough for me to have purchased the expansion, the rest is a bonus.

Fly safe
No, i want to add more stuff to do, quests, engineering, reason to travel over long distances.
Maybe your whole ship is grind, for me it certainly was, but it is something that stays and serve you.

We used telescopes to look at Mars for years but it's only by actually going there, and putting rovers down, we were able to map in any great detail. You can use the System Map like a telescope too though. Once you've used FSS you can zoom in to get a low (long distance) quality view of the surface and you can read the materials and possible biologies there. Want to know more? Afraid you'll need to get closer to see. Luckily with faster than light it's not far.

I don't know how many heat sinks you get through, must be a lot? Basic Conductors and Heat Conduction Wiring are both extremely common, Grade 1 materials and best to think of it like stocking up before a camping trip, don't leave until you have a supply with you. Yes you might need to plan your trip to stop at Colonia to restock SOMETIMES .. and same goes for SRV fuel .. but even nuclear submarines need to dock occasionally. Think of it like restocking on food maybe, like they have to do. It's space, wear and tear happens and sometimes - not very often - you need to dock to repair / refuel / rearm.

Hardpoints is kind of interesting and you can fit mining tools for a laugh (taking samples off asteroids). If you don't carry offensive weapons though, proximity mines might put a pirate off your scent when you dock to sell cartographics .. or buy even more heatsinks ;). In the end all ships can go long distance though. First trip to the top of the galaxy was in Sidewinder years ago but larger ships can fit more equipment and are better suited to it. Opening more internal modules just makes all ships the same though and it's not amazing to get to Beagle Point in an Eagle anymore if you can carry AFMS, heatsinks, repair all in your hardpoints. This is why it's not changed to your idea long time ago I think. o7

- i use alot of heatsinks for example, reasons; flying between two stars, boosting from white dwarf (once per 2 months?), fuelscooping at maximum rate, then jumping out when ship is not cooled, maybe high G takeoffs, landings without FA on high G, atmospheric landings? - not yet found high G planet, i did not tryed out yet.

- i can't plan my trip into Colonia. Well i can, but that means atleast 50 000 ly trip. Yes, flight carriers in my case help, but i cannot load more than 3 (+150 already have) there. If i run out of those, there's no way to get them. I don't understand why. You cannot swap them. Yes i got it, most people in the black are long distance travellers, going to Beagle and back = game done, but if you live in black you will get annonyed that you cannot get those by yourself. Im not suggesting it to be "free" on a carriers like limpets.

- i don't think you can change small ship so much with opening hardpoints to internal modules, they can carry only one or two extra stuff for srv, repair, shield, limpets, cargo rack ,guardian booster, scanner, or flight/landing computer that's it. Heatsink, defense points those are utility mounts.

Last edited:
Well the only point I don't get is this one, we can make heatsink ammo in space... that's nearly the only way to master long thargoid fight in fact ...
(maybe i'm missing your point?)

Yes this is a big bother for many, the hardpoint should be able to fit limpets, this is absolutly true, but you should be able to fit point defenses too in there and other (new) utilities.

there are many things that don't fit the tech level of the global background, I mean how come overheating is a thing when you shoot but can fuelscoop easily with a little overheating? how come shooting with triple plasma overheat more than getting IN a star?
And yes, exploring is boring for some of the gameplay.
At start this must have been a balancing issue so I can get it, but now, this is just a prioritization problem.

there are billions of billions of humans, so billions of scientists, and millions of companies and research teams, how come there is so few weapons? or various modules?
as in borderlands, there are many companies and each make the weapons, and for the same weapons from a different company the weapon will not be the same, will have pros & cons etc...

So yea your idea is a good one, it needs to be worked on, most probably improved in many ways, but ... well I guess we'll never see this kind of improvements before long.
In short.. for heatsinks.. i am staying far from any station, any occupied system, that's why i want to have a way to synthesize heatsinks from materials i can get out there.

Some raw ideas of modules to support exploration to occupy empty hardpoint slots.

Supercruise speed booster - to be installed into hardpoint slot, in SC pointing to distant star (e.g. non main star in the star system gradually doubles the max speed while pointing straight forward to the distant star). It will also make SC flight unstable at the close distance to the planets (effect similar to charging from neutron star attempting to change direction towards planet).

Fuel scoop booster - to be installed into hardpoint slot, significantly increases scooping speed allowing to equip smaller fuel scoop modules in optional slots to get same effective charging speed. To be used requires to aim to the close star at the scooping distance, the closer to the center the more increase of scooping speed.

Data probe launcher - to be installed into hardpoint slot, upon ship destruction eject a data probe containing ship's exploration data. Can be collected within 30 days. The location of probe remains unknown within 24 hours for everyone, but owner. Upon collection by owner restores all exploration data. Being collected by someone else allows to be decrypted at special contact spending data materials. When data is sold - credits are received by seller, discoveries/first foot etc are recorded to explorer (original owner). May be found by surface scanning of planets within 10ly distance.

Optical amplifier - to be installed into hardpoint slot, allows to target POI and get detailed information, e.g list of materials in low/high grade emission POI, number and types of ships in combat/convoy POI etc

I addition I would like to see something like:

Advanced route planner - optional slot, allows to manually setup a sequence of stars to jump, replaces economical/fastest switch on galmap with a slider to find optimum route with minimum necessary jumps/scoops.

Pulse wave scanner - existing module, change it allowing to scan near planet surface to highlight biological/mineral anomalies at distance up to ~10 km.
Im affraid you ll never get those fantastic things, my change is small and simple to extend small ship loadout for optional modules.
For example my ship has only one hardpoint, that way i can add smallest afmu, when i already have only scoop, srv, shield, supercruise assist, guardian booster, and surface scannet.

- i don't think you can change small ship so much with opening hardpoints to internal modules, they can carry only one or two extra stuff for srv, repair, shield, limpets, cargo rack ,guardian booster, scanner, or flight/landing computer that's it. Heatsink, defense points those are utility mounts.

My point is it turns medium ships into big ships. As I pilot I get it, you want your favourite ship to be able to do everything, I get it. But for a game I think it's better for each ship to have some advantage, some disadvantage. This idea takes away all disadvantage because all ships can carry everything.

Seriously, just stock up on synthesis materials.

IDK, I rather like the planetary scanning. It is like a mini-game that tests your skill. Can you hit the target number? Most of the time. Still having issues with the big gas giants and their 20+ probes, but 6 or 7, easy peasy. 8+ gets challenging.

- i use alot of heatsinks for example, reasons; flying between two stars, boosting from white dwarf (once per 2 months?), fuelscooping at maximum rate, then jumping out when ship is not cooled, maybe high G takeoffs, landings without FA on high G, atmospheric landings? - not yet found high G planet, i did not tryed out yet.
None of these requires a single heatsink if done right. Also you already can refill the heatsinks in flight anyway (as pointed above multiple times)

I've been waiting for a long time to upgrade to Odyssey. Im far from your home, i have no reason to go there. I kinda dont uderstand this expansion. Did they really added something for exporers, exept new life forms and planet graphics? I need you to add two things, or three.

1., heatsinks - how come i can't make them in space by myself? i can collect materials but not use them, but they are bound to materials i cannot collect in space which is not populated - that makes no sense at all, what about making them from materials we have no use for example lead, boron .. ?
2., ship modules space - hardpoints - i see no use of weapons out there for an explorer, why we can't remake them to add something usefull like optional modules? small ship cannot carry much of them, why we can't configure our small ship to be better? (no i really cannot pack repair limpets into Hauler for example - what if i want that ship anyway?).
3., mapping a planets - looks like a prehistoric technology, like we have that shiny powerfull friendship drive ships, it's ok, but we need to move them to every single body to map them? What about adding some sort of telescope, which will map all planets via minigame like it already is, via system scanner interface? It should you kick out of supercruise aswell, imagine deploying your normal hardpoints..

With last point you can add alot of gameplay for explorers, like go to bubble and pick up the misson for telescope.
Go to xyz point in galaxy to pick up plans for telescope.
Make your ship's hardpoints modular (point 2).
Collect materials for telescope and go to engineer, maybe multistage upgrades like other stuff we already have to engineer.

For those who want to argue that last point is an unfair advantage i have only one message.
Money for explorers mean nothing, we can't buy anything, we can't do anything with them, exept fleet carrier - if some hilarious person want's to drag fleet carrier behind him - let him..
If they can do permit locked systems, i guess telescope can be locked in populated systems aswell - or undiscovered systems, that will be better, at the end of the day, it should serve explorers right?
this post gave me a stroke

I think the most useful change for me would be an overlay on the planet's surface map of the life heatmap so that you can swap to a different species without having to go into orbit to find them. That is a daft feature for sure. As if in the 33rd century a map made from orbit will be forgotten when you are on the deck.
I would also like a low altitude skimmer- a flying SRV for those really rocky places where the fungoids live.

Top Bottom