Odyssey - One year after release(almost).

What we thought we were getting: On-foot gameplay and shooting.
What we got: FDev shooting themselves in the foot.

Key features:
New Lighting Engine: Adding PBR ( something a lot of other games have had for the last 5 years )
What we got: drastically reduced frame rates, less colours in space, less effects, lots of broken paintjobs.
FDevs response: still working on optimization over a year later!

New Planetary Tech: Improved level of detail on planets
What we got: some new textures, all planets regenerated losing all the truly interesting planets with unique features, instead all primary features are now just a collection of handmade assets scaled and rotated differently, resulting in frequent cases of tiling and duplicated mountains. No really tall mountain or deep long valleys(or so rare they might as well not exist) -
FDevs response: Yes, we see the problem, no we are not going to fix it.

Armstrong Moment:
What we got: fade to black and magic teleporting(minus any effects).
FDevs response: Silence.

Exobiology:
What we got: a dozen new plant types and a new scanner with a reflex based mini game that everyone hated.
FDevs response: remove the mini game, leaving us with a point-n-click-n-wait a few seconds - FDev's idea of game play :(

I could go one, but frankly every feature is under developed and under-whelming.

Now they release the 'roadmap' for the rest of the year and install 2023, summary:
  • More optimization: because it's still terrible on a some hardware where Horizons is very playable.
  • Stability: More bug fixes, because there are still a LOT of bugs in the game.
  • Some new narrative: could be more CG's a galnets posted hyped up by the CM's
  • Major narrative phase: my guess - more passive POI's to fly to, scan and forget about.

This is so close to maintenance mode, so very close.

Soooo.... you came here to make what point exactly? Ask a question? Suggest an improvement? Speculate on the future?

From what I read above there's a "I expected this but I got that" narrative. Ok, we get it. Expectations were high for Odyssey and may people's expectations were not met. Move on. Try to enjoy the content you did get or don't. Try something else for a while.

As for the future: there's more coming. As players we perhaps shouldn't expect too much. The legendary thargoids on foot may never make an appearance and if they do they will inevitably be a disappointment to those in the community who expected them to be, well, different.

Eye-Wash-Station.png

It's a year later and I still don't want to buy Odyssey, but I think the OP is way off in his assessment of it. ALL salt and NO substance.

Better then Borizons.
You do realize you're mocking Frontier when you mock Horizons, right? Were you always this critical of Elite Dangerous before Odyssey released, or did this just start recently as a coping mechanism to the fact not everyone loves Odyssey?

I could go one, but frankly every feature is under developed and under-whelming.

Now they release the 'roadmap' for the rest of the year and install 2023, summary:
  • More optimization: because it's still terrible on a some hardware where Horizons is very playable.
  • Major narrative phase: my guess - more passive POI's to fly to, scan and forget about.

Well we got new SRV and a FC interior, since DLC launch - considering how much Stability and Optimization they had to do, that's pretty amazing.

So not really maintenance mode, more like a break from new content, to fix few last things, and than back to more new content at the end of the year.

This game requires lots of patience, but it's going places...

This forum should come with some sort of pre warning to people who start these threads on a daily basis, or maybe have a 'Ideas / Thoughts' section, can you imagine lol thread after thread after thread of people talking to themselves :ROFLMAO: no offense to the person who started this thread, I just think there is a new one of these every day.

Exobiology has 15 genus', nearly 100 new species, and over 800 variants.
Indeed, I even found a variant of concha about a month ago in the Hawking's Gap that hadn't been added to the Codex til then (probably found before now in other sectors though). So, while rare, it does seem there ARE the odd discoveries still to be found out in the black....

Indeed, I even found a variant of concha about a month ago in the Hawking's Gap that hadn't been added to the Codex til then (probably found before now in other sectors though). So, while rare, it does seem there ARE the odd discoveries still to be found out in the black....

Yeah, over the last week I found two new variants that were not already in the Codex.

Key features:
New Lighting Engine: Adding PBR ( something a lot of other games have had for the last 5 years )
What we got: drastically reduced frame rates, less colours in space, less effects, lots of broken paintjobs.

What we got: some new textures, all planets regenerated losing all the truly interesting planets with unique features, instead all primary features are now just a collection of handmade assets scaled and rotated differently, resulting in frequent cases of tiling and duplicated mountains. No really tall mountain or deep long valleys(or so rare they might as well not exist) -

Armstrong Moment:

Exobiology:
What we got: a dozen new plant types and a new scanner with a reflex based mini game that everyone hated.
FDevs response: remove the mini game, leaving us with a point-n-click-n-wait a few seconds - FDev's idea of game play :(

I don't agree that its in maintenance mode. I do think FDEV will have to be VERY careful with the next paid DLC though as there'll be a lot of scepticism about their ability to pull off a smooth launch.

But let's think hypothetically - so what if it were to be in maintenance mode? If during the kickstarter we'd been told this was as much as we were going to get, I'd still be stoked. But then I am a man of simple tastes and would have been happy with a basic modern version of the original Elite......and we have so much more than that even if FDEV were to cease development right now.

Key features:

Armstrong Moment:

Exobiology:

Why are you posting this? Can’t possibly be in good faith. Thread ignored.

Top Bottom