[Odyssey] Unable to Launch From Main Menu

Fixed: This issue was fixed with Update 14.

Note: I haven't played Elite in quite a few months, IDK if that would have anything to do with this.

If I launch Odyssey from the launcher, the game loads, go through the title screen, then goes to the main menu (image attached). It says it "can't connect to Frontier servers." If I go to my settings I can click each icon but nothing happens. If I click "Controls" I go to the menu where I can select which controls, then I run into the same issue. If I click "Social" nothing happens. If I click "Continue" I can choose whatever option, but when I choose it, it says loading for a few seconds then it goes to an indefinite black screen. If I alt-tab then alt-tab back into Elite then I get the Orange Sidewinder error. I then have to either use the task manager or use Steam to close the game.

If I launch Horizons then everything works fine. I got into the game, for some reason was in the gravity field of a planet, and had to leave and go dock at a station. I exit the game to the main menu, which sends me to the launcher instead. When I launch back into Odyssey, nothing changed.

I have validated my files, updated my drivers, and restarted my PC, I'm just not sure what to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125_054606.png
    Screenshot_20221125_054606.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
It could be firewall. Odyssey executable is different from the Horizons one so I assume needs its own permission. Maybe you missed the windows permission request screen when you first ran Odyssey?

e.g. In my case:

fw1.jpg

(I have more than one installation)

This is just a guess.

Last edited:
It could be firewall. Odyssey executable is different from the Horizons one so I assume needs its own permission. Maybe you missed the windows permission request screen when you first ran Odyssey?

e.g. In my case:

View attachment 333878

(I have more than one installation)

This is just a guess.
Just tried it out. One of the Odyssey executables was being blocked, but there was no change when it was unblocked. Thank you for the help though.

the fact you are in logged in with cmdr name showing suggests there is nothing wrong with the software and is running as it should so forget the reinstalls
and as indicated its not connecting for some reason...…………….
I would try a router reset and enabling the cache check etc in the launcher options
(I do hope you did reboot pc after it was"unblocked")
temp disable fire wall just to rule out when fault finding& testing same goes for av don't forget to put them straight back up mind u

Last edited:
Note: I haven't played Elite in quite a few months, IDK if that would have anything to do with this.

If I launch Odyssey from the launcher, the game loads, go through the title screen, then goes to the main menu (image attached). It says it "can't connect to Frontier servers." If I go to my settings I can click each icon but nothing happens. If I click "Controls" I go to the menu where I can select which controls, then I run into the same issue. If I click "Social" nothing happens. If I click "Continue" I can choose whatever option, but when I choose it, it says loading for a few seconds then it goes to an indefinite black screen. If I alt-tab then alt-tab back into Elite then I get the Orange Sidewinder error. I then have to either use the task manager or use Steam to close the game.

If I launch Horizons then everything works fine. I got into the game, for some reason was in the gravity field of a planet, and had to leave and go dock at a station. I exit the game to the main menu, which sends me to the launcher instead. When I launch back into Odyssey, nothing changed.

I have validated my files, updated my drivers, and restarted my PC, I'm just not sure what to do.
From the description of you getting passed the launcher the issue isnt with you connecting to the Login server its the game servers themselves you cannot connect to, in my experience there's a couple ways you can trigger this though the most common is usually having a wireless hotspot being made (Ie your connecting to your wired connection with your pc then make the pc use the wireless card to broadcast a wireless signal your other devices connect to).
If this isnt your case here Id suggest checking the Networking settings in the game to ensure the client isnt trying to load the wrong Networking card (Ie its trying to use lo instead of wlan0/lan0)

the fact you are in logged in with cmdr name showing suggests there is nothing wrong with the software and is running as it should so forget the reinstalls
and as indicated its not connecting for some reason...…………….
I would try a router reset and enabling the cache check etc in the launcher options
(I do hope you did reboot pc after it was"unblocked")
temp disable fire wall just to rule out when fault finding& testing same goes for av don't forget to put them straight back up mind u
I reset my router, and "Enable Cache Check" and "Enable Virtual Cache" were both checked already. I unchecked and rechecked them, disabled my firewall, then went into the game. Nothing changed. Still, thank you for the help.

From the description of you getting passed the launcher the issue isnt with you connecting to the Login server its the game servers themselves you cannot connect to, in my experience there's a couple ways you can trigger this though the most common is usually having a wireless hotspot being made (Ie your connecting to your wired connection with your pc then make the pc use the wireless card to broadcast a wireless signal your other devices connect to).
If this isnt your case here Id suggest checking the Networking settings in the game to ensure the client isnt trying to load the wrong Networking card (Ie its trying to use lo instead of wlan0/lan0)
I'm not using my PC as a hotspot. I'm unable to open the Networking settings if I launch with Odyssey, if I click the icon for it nothing happens.

Top Bottom