Odyssey VR specific bug reports - please contribute!

@jojon - is what you’re describing on the System map (I hope I’ve read your post correctly)?.

I’ve never had an issue with the planetary surround crescents, they zoom in and out with the body they’re attached to. Any chance you could post a screenie of what you’re seeing?

I suggested this in the camera suite feedback thread (as did a few others) so hopefully the concept may simmer in a Dev’s mind, even though it didn’t get implemented in the camera updates. At least with the moveable camera I can get my view point sat on top of my CMDRs head 😁
Now this is just in my mind, but to me the stubborn way the devs ignore this makes me think that they have a half built on foot vr solution which they may or may not get back to when the main issues are fixed, because honestly i see no real reason for them not to have it.

Now this is just in my mind, but to me the stubborn way the devs ignore this makes me think that they have a half built on foot vr solution which they may or may not get back to when the main issues are fixed, because honestly i see no real reason for them not to have it.
I also think this is possible but the sheer number of fires has pushed this back an awful long way.

I suspect they're aware of the vast number of rendering pipeline bugs they have and are worried about the possible consequences of them in VR. Until these are fixed, I think there will be nothing done with VR for horizons.

There are, of course, other possibilities: cross-platform support consistency, ideological views, aggressive cost cutting/resource management etc. More than one thing can be true at a time, too.

I’ve never had an issue with the planetary surround crescents, they zoom in and out with the body they’re attached to. Any chance you could post a screenie of what you’re seeing?

Hmm... I see no mis-scaling crescents today, it seems, but here is a non-landable with an atmosphere circle two thirds its diameter:
sysmapscale1.jpg

...and then we've got the settlement glyph... From what non-VR screenshots I've seen, I gather those three vertical lines are supposed draw much larger, and not just be a barely discernible slip of the pen when drawing the crescent... :7
sysmapscale2.jpg

EDIT: I mean... It's most certainly not something that prevents one from playing the game or anything, but... :7

Hmm... I see no mis-scaling crescents today, it seems, but here is a non-landable with an atmosphere circle two thirds its diameter:
View attachment 254779

...and then we've got the settlement glyph... From what non-VR screenshots I've seen, I gather those three vertical lines are supposed draw much larger, and not just be a barely discernible slip of the pen when drawing the crescent... :7
View attachment 254784

EDIT: I mean... It's most certainly not something that prevents one from playing the game or anything, but... :7
I think it'll be worth submitting an issue report - even if just to see if anyone else is seeing this. Here's a screenie I took this morning:
Screenshot_0233.jpg

...which all looks correct to me. I haven't seen the flatscreen version of the crescent "nubbin" so I can't compare, but if it's different, please report :)

I haven’t experienced an increase in CTDs because I haven’t had any CTDs since the first stage of the Alpha (which even then was a graphics setting related issue and could be cured by lowering the relevant setting).

I’ve seen two issue reports relating to VR CTDs but both relate to SteamVR and a crash when doing a specific thing.

Oh heck! https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/40168 - slow System map scrolling in VR - has actually been Acknowledged 😱

The slow, sloooow crawl has been a thing since the game launched 😅 We live in strange days, friends 😁
———
A few more reports have bitten the dust; when David Braben made his “Odyssey Going Forwards” post he called the bug reporting system “Issue Tracker” without a “the” - which to me sounded like some kind of 70’s sci-fi super-computer (“Behold! Issue Tracker!”) - I’ve now decided it’s a bit more like something else from 70’s sci-fi: the Carousel from Logan’s Run 🙂

Our bug reports have grown too old, they’re dressed in flame print white leotards and hockey masks, and are gracefully floating upwards before getting zapped by the Expired laser - while I chant “Renew! Renew! RENEW!” and only get new headlook comms panel reports 😅
Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4M2vx_RCwSs

I haven’t experienced an increase in CTDs because I haven’t had any CTDs since the first stage of the Alpha (which even then was a graphics setting related issue and could be cured by lowering the relevant setting).

I’ve seen two issue reports relating to VR CTDs but both relate to SteamVR and a crash when doing a specific thing.
^^^ This.

Next up for the Expired chopping block: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32298 - asteroid edges looking fuzzy in ring fog.

Looks like only two more confirmations will do it, and there are a few duplicate issues from flatscreen players - it looks like FSR is really highlighting the problem since Update 6.
…and the axe has fallen 😕

Hopefully one of the flatscreen bug reports of the same issue:
…or the other VR report:
…will survive this time 🤞

…and the axe has fallen 😕

Hopefully one of the flatscreen bug reports of the same issue:
…or the other VR report:
…will survive this time 🤞
this bug has been around a while, it effects people generally on lower end systems as they have the volumetric effects turned down, it seems to be directly linked to lower quality volumetrics as far as i can tell especially in heavily core mined rings where fog is everywhere, so hopefully if there is a pancake fix it should carry through

@Arioch Thank you Arioch for the outstanding work and keeping us all up-to-date! Are you or any other fellow VR CMDRs aware of an issue being tracked covering the giant/hidden ship, body, and weapon models when viewing those assets in full VR (e.g., InterAstra, suit/weapon cosmetics)? The issue isn't present when you're already on-foot and access the services to view those models behind the 2D cinema-projected mode.

I'd like to add a vote to it or create a new issue to cover it myself and figured I'd ask here quick.

LLaPo7

@Arioch Thank you Arioch for the outstanding work and keeping us all up-to-date! Are you or any other fellow VR CMDRs aware of an issue being tracked covering the giant/hidden ship, body, and weapon models when viewing those assets in full VR (e.g., InterAstra, suit/weapon cosmetics)? The issue isn't present when you're already on-foot and access the services to view those models behind the 2D cinema-projected mode.

I'd like to add a vote to it or create a new issue to cover it myself and figured I'd ask here quick.

LLaPo7
Hi av - I’m not sure what you’re describing here; when I’m using the camera suite for full VR feet, I’m unable to interact with anything and have to change to the virtual flatscreen if I want to use any services. Any chance you could detail the steps you’re doing so I can try and duplicate the issue?

Im still noticing on approach to some planets before dropping down that not everything is being displayed in both eyes.
You can kind of get use to it and forget about it but Im sure it cant be good for your eyes long term.
Theres an issue open for it below but its needs more contributions.
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/37665
I think one of the star classes has this issue as well where some of the vfx aren't rendered in both eyes. This is one of the most annoying bugs that is the game when using VR as it definitely isn't good for eyes, brain or sanity. I'd thought they could have some sort of automated tool for verifying this. At this stage, I think that if they have any sort of dev ops pipeline it's probably rusty and dripping algae contaminated water on the carpet.

T-T-T-Triple Kill!!!

Issue Tracker strikes thrice with Expiration headshots:
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32742 - Strange artefacts looking to the side - 9/10
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32982 - Holo-me buttons cut off at terminals - 5/10
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32992 - Effects shaders missing in VR - 1/10
…and they are no more 😕
I’ll probably resubmit #32982 after the next Update (if it’s still borked) and I think the effects shaders issue is linked to the over-bright cockpit dash bug I’m going to submit tomorrow, but I’ve not experienced the other one.
———
@buzzx - I’ve been looking for that issue (as I’d had it during the Alpha) without success - whether it’s settings or I just haven’t encountered those particular types of planet since, I don’t know. If possible, please note what planet you see the mismatch at, I’ll gladly visit to check it out…as long as you aren’t deep in the dark, of course 😁

T-T-T-Triple Kill!!!

Issue Tracker strikes thrice with Expiration headshots:
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32742 - Strange artefacts looking to the side - 9/10
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32982 - Holo-me buttons cut off at terminals - 5/10
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32992 - Effects shaders missing in VR - 1/10
…and they are no more 😕
I’ll probably resubmit #32982 after the next Update (if it’s still borked) and I think the effects shaders issue is linked to the over-bright cockpit dash bug I’m going to submit tomorrow, but I’ve not experienced the other one.
———
@buzzx - I’ve been looking for that issue (as I’d had it during the Alpha) without success - whether it’s settings or I just haven’t encountered those particular types of planet since, I don’t know. If possible, please note what planet you see the mismatch at, I’ll gladly visit to check it out…as long as you aren’t deep in the dark, of course 😁

I see it pretty much on all planets on approach at a distance, its easy to mistake it for upscaling artifact or antialiasing shimmer bit I think its a "different image in each eye" problem. Actually Im sure it is because i provided the evidence in the screenshots in the issue tracker. Its small variations in each eye that make it look off. It goes away if you close one eye.

Last edited:
I see it pretty much on all planets on approach at a distance, its easy to mistake it for upscaling artifact or antialiasing shimmer bit I think its a "different image in each eye" problem. Actually Im sure it is because i provided the evidence in the screenshots in the issue tracker. Its small variations in each eye that make it look off. It goes away if you close one eye.
The planet stereo mismatch I saw in the Alpha isn’t evident to me now - the shimmer I see on “wrinkle” terrain looks like an AA problem and I can’t see any difference when doing alternate eye blinking.

It used to look very evident all the way down into Glide, and looked like the current texture issue on rock scatter. I haven’t seen the “digital camouflage” planet texture problem since then, but I’ll keep looking for it 👍

Top Bottom