General / Off-Topic Off Topic! The Black Hole

Yes I searched and no, I found no thread within which I could share my trauma after watching this just now.

What an utterly horrifying film and yet at the age of nine I was allowed to watch this. When I was nine I was cool with it - great lasers and cool robots. 40 years later, having just watched it at home due to you-know-what, I am saying this needs an adult rating!

Son of Hibachi, shaken.

Main thing I remember is one of my friends had all the coolest Star Wars toys and all I had was some hand me down figures from The Black Hole which got me constantly berated.

Forever scarred from its merchandising...

I couldnt see it myself but there is a youtube explaining how the entire film is like a carry on gay joke. Ruined it for me tbh :)

One of my favorite Sunday afternoon type adventure movies I watched as a kid, when I wasn't out playing.

It hasn't aged all that well with me, but I still like it. The old country western robot was a bit too cheesy for me though, even back then.

The creepy robot-zombie... something crew is cool though, along with Max and the mad captain guy all add to the suspense. I even have the midi of the opening tune on my phone to this day.

I learned how to graph a black hole (3D, 2D plane style) later in school, because of this film, and enjoyed messing with it on my TI calculators. Yes, I am a nerd...

Cheers.

Last edited:
Saw this at the cinema as a kid and Max Schell’s eyes at the end, brrrrrrr...

If I could do a fan edit, I’d bin the robot shooting gallery sequence and alter some of the music during some of the escape scenes - the “heroic success” tune doesn’t fit well (in my opinion) when they’re still in deadly danger.

It’s one of those old films that I enjoy more these days - back then if it was sci-fi and not Star Wars, pffft!

Now trying to find The Poseiden Adventure, another film I haven't seen for forty years (Borgnine and McDowell again) but seems I have to buy it from A*azon, even though I have Prime. Damn you A*azon, don't you know we're not aloud outside right now?

Cancelled. (for a while).

Loved that movie, never did find the Maximillian pencil holder. So many boxes of Shreddies eaten to no avail, other than a clean colon.

Top Bottom