Oh well...I guess I'm totally finished with this game then.

See - this is the sort of attitude I don't understand. There is no progress as such in this game. It's a sim - sort of - like flight sims and such. The object is just to enjoy the experience. So you lose some stuff - so what? So you have to engineer again - so what? You will be playing the game to do that and that is the object of the game - to play it. There's no competition to win. There's no leaderboard, or prize for the winner, no end game, none of that. You play it for the experience and when the experience becomes boring you leave it for a while. And if you end up starting your run again from the beginning - so what? You're playing the game and that is the purpose - there is no other.

And besides, it actually doesn't take long to do it all again now that you know how. In fact, it actually gives you a goal and something to work towards. An additional reason to play.

Anyway, of course everybody plays their own way and for their own reasons - I'm just sayin' - I don't see the problem. Just play the game as you would have anyway and you will find that suddenly you are back to where you were when it all went bad. And probably had some fun in the process.
Because it's a game of progression and even if there is no real end game there is a feeling of progress. The progression is to get to the type of gameplay you want which is locked behind grind walls. Yes that's real. Losing all of that is a feeling of losing progress. Why would you pretend that doesn't exist and if that's okay with you why do you make any progression at all, why not just sit around and stare at randomly generated planets?

Because it's a game of progression and even if there is no real end game there is a feeling of progress. The progression is to get to the type of gameplay you want which is locked behind grind walls. Yes that's real. Losing all of that is a feeling of losing progress. Why would you pretend that doesn't exist and if that's okay with you why do you make any progression at all, why not just sit around and stare at randomly generated planets?
It's even simpler: when you play any game that saves your progress, losing that save game for no reason isnt cool.

Not much else to say on that front, really.

They had to restore an old data file. I don't know what caused the corruption but it seemed an easy fix.
Glad to hear everything worked out ok - I've only had to use them a couple of times, but they were able to fix the problems within a day and with no hassles.

Most recently we managed to gub up redeeming a code - I'm close to 100% sure that Frontier's page for doing this allows you to redeem a code without having logged in first, so the code gets used but isn't attached to anyone. Frontier fixed it promptly and with a witty explanation. So, CMDR Luna of Frontier support, you officially rock.

See - this is the sort of attitude I don't understand. There is no progress as such in this game. It's a sim - sort of - like flight sims and such. The object is just to enjoy the experience. So you lose some stuff - so what? So you have to engineer again - so what? You will be playing the game to do that and that is the object of the game - to play it. There's no competition to win. There's no leaderboard, or prize for the winner, no end game, none of that. You play it for the experience and when the experience becomes boring you leave it for a while. And if you end up starting your run again from the beginning - so what? You're playing the game and that is the purpose - there is no other.

And besides, it actually doesn't take long to do it all again now that you know how. In fact, it actually gives you a goal and something to work towards. An additional reason to play.

Anyway, of course everybody plays their own way and for their own reasons - I'm just sayin' - I don't see the problem. Just play the game as you would have anyway and you will find that suddenly you are back to where you were when it all went bad. And probably had some fun in the process.

Er... what?
This entire game revolves around mechanics for building up your character and ships. That's how your character becomes a persistent part of a persistent universe. Of course it is a big deal to lose it. Now if you (and perhaps some others) feel that the point is to have no goals and not use those mechanics, that's fine and there is nothing that stops you. You can zip around in a starter sidewinder each time you start the game and have a blast.

For me it is about telling a story of a space cowboy, flying ships with stories attached to them and having a connection to some places through the background engine. If there is no persistence in the character, that is not possible. My story when flying this game is not one of being a fresh pilot every time it boots up.

Feel free to have your opinion on what the game is about, good for you. But to "not understand" is rather mind-boggling to me.

Last edited:
Progress is very much a thing in this game, for those who don't understand that, at least respect that others do feel a loss, and don't snipe them here on the forum...

Top Bottom