Ok, Frontier. It's time to talk.

The true potential for pve combat was removed already. Unfortunately the vast majority of players would rather pve farm npcs than have a decent 1v1 duel against the npc.
I think the real reason the god mode npcs, which could be killed btw, where removed was because it was going to take longer to get that elite combat rank. Cant add to the grind, right.

Last edited:
This is to be expected since Fdev made the Thargoids optional

What they should have done

1. Close vanilla and force everybody into Horizon

2. Thargoids should be interdicting you randomly so the threat is real

3. Have Thargoids adapt like the Borg. Uh Oh the Ax missles aren't working.

You lot seen that other thread about the verified crashed thargoid scout ship that looks like the actual old school 80's ones? Really makes you question what these current aliens are...

If a ship has a heart, is it even a ship.. :O

You lot seen that other thread about the verified crashed thargoid scout ship that looks like the actual old school 80's ones? Really makes you question what these current aliens are...

I have, and I'm super excited about it.

I still think they are all Thargoids, but that doesn't look like a Cyclopes variant.

For reference, this is what he's referring to:

https://imgur.com/JxEWa3Z

https://imgur.com/gallery/yZG7F

Last edited:
Redan is right. The way Frontier implemented the Thargoid experience for the players is some of their best work to date. It is also important to maintain realistic expectations and not get carried away with the criticism. Everyone has an opinion, and mine is that Frontier did a great job with this one.

Im not saying they are not a challenge, just the fact that they ARE soloable, only a few days after release, would suggest this big bad technologically advanced alien should be a little tougher, to me at least.

Uhh, hmm. Is there a video of this solo murder of a Thargoid ship? I have no problem outlasting them, but with only 4 missiles per ship, it doesn't seem there is enough total damage output for single ship to take out all 4 hearts unless they get solid hits in each time with no glancing or ignored dps. Best I could manage so far as a solo pilot was about two hearts down before needing to reload. Maybe I need to study the angles a bit more and/or the statuses. It seem sometimes the missiles do only 2-10% and other times they do as much as 30% damage to the hearts. Still haven't figured out exactly why, except that rear shots sometimes seem to make them angrier. Could be just coincidence.

And OP, I agree very much. This patch has me thinking Frontier can really do gameplay quite well. Well, combat gameplay anyway. The sciencey aspects of thargoids are still a bit lackluster/sleepy by comparison, but still a bit better than normal passive scanning since you have to dodge an angry Thargoid while recollecting your tissue sample. I think they need to figure out how to make exploration/science aspects at least half as challenging as a straight-up thargoid fight (or even a regular NPC fight), and then the whole game will be perfect.

Last edited:
Wow - what an excellent post! I kept thinking "here it comes, any minute ... the sarcasm" (no disrespect to the OP, I wasn't expecting sarcasm from you specifically, just ... you know ... the forums recently) and it never came. A genuine heartfelt well considered thumbs-up review of 2.4 The Return. You don't know what a breath of fresh air that is. Thanks!

I'm adding this to my Best of Forum thread asap.

Uhh, hmm. Is there a video of this solo murder of a Thargoid ship? I have no problem outlasting them, but with only 4 missiles per ship, it doesn't seem there is enough total damage output for single ship to take out all 4 hearts unless they get solid hits in each time with no glancing or ignored dps. Best I could manage so far as a solo pilot was about two hearts down before needing to reload. Maybe I need to study the angles a bit more and/or the statuses. It seem sometimes the missiles do only 2-10% and other times they do as much as 30% damage to the hearts.

I believe theres 2 on the forum, first page Aliens section. One Cutter solo'ing it and i cant remember what the other guy was flying.

Wow - what an excellent post! I kept thinking "here it comes, any minute ... the sarcasm" (no disrespect to the OP, I wasn't expecting sarcasm from you specifically, just ... you know ... the forums recently) and it never came. A genuine heartfelt well considered thumbs-up review of 2.4 The Return. You don't know what a breath of fresh air that is. Thanks!

I'm adding this to my Best of Forum thread asap.

Heh, no offense taken, dude.

It really is how I genuinely feel about the content while being as totally objective as I possibly can be. I didn't write this post to be a fan-boy or to sing praise to anyone who doesn't deserve it. Frontier absolutely do deserve it for 2.4. This content has been out for 2 and a half days now and it has taken my breath away.

Criticizing for the sake of it is just silly. I'm just trying to give credit where credit is due.

[Citation needed]

It is not that clear and cut but truth to be told complains about a) how long it takes time to take down NPCs and b) when NPCs got small dosage of Engineered goods has been very loud. There are quite a few people who see PvE content as barrier to their PvP dreams - t.i. ships. They are here to own it and nothing's gonna stop them. They claim they want to have 'meaningful' content, but all they really mean is emergent one a la EvE.

If we remember FD they scaled back Engineered stuff on NPCs due of several problems, not only concept itself. I really hope they return back to this idea though.

Also, in the statistics tab this is noted as 'type 1 scout'. What is happening is that we mostly survived their scouts for two whole days, and even killed a few, so we declare Total Victory.

Typical humans.

*nods head*

Personally as a member of the TDL Im on the Thargoids side. Humans suck and although Im crap at PvP or PvE for that matter, I'll be ramming and shooting at anyone I find hurting a Thargoid :)

Edit: Reading MoM's Twitter feed there's plenty to come.

Last edited:
Nice thread TS. I am also enjoying the new content but haven't attempted to kill them yet (I'm an open player but not really much of a wing player)

Top Bottom