Horizons OK, I Tried the SRV, And...

last night i was doing skimmer missions in a low G world, 0.3 G iirc. the planet was odd, not really a sphere at all and massive craters, took ages to land my asp.

and ........... it was amazing, i think low G is far better than high G for out and out fun.

driving full beans going up a little hill, taking off and realising you are now 200m in the air because you are over a crater and you then need to try to fly over it and then land without crashing is arguably the single most exhilarating thing in the game (though i play in VR)

my thoughts to help..

as already said, always have drive assist off, and if possible consider using a pad..

but another thought, and i do not think it has been mentioned.

if you are in the air, you need to have good pitch and yaw control. a smooth landing is key to not crashing and that means aligning your vehicle correcltly with the slope of the terrain.

and finally, when you are about to hit the ground, always floor the accelerator. by doing this, when your nose hits the ground (I find it easier to touch down front wheels 1st, tho i am not saying this is the only way) but, my method is, when your front wheels touch down you want to be fully accelerating that way the wheels pull your vehicle forwards and this stops you going into a forward roll, which in my experience can do a lot of damage.

ps i am no expert but it really is easy with a bit of practive.

pps your ship autorepairs your srv, so do not be afraid to call your ship and get it fixed.

This post makes me want to create and upload a how-to-srv video. It's a great vehicle and tons of fun to drive around. I'd emphasize that the problem here is with the user and not the vehicle.

Not only that, but a lot of people assume the problem is the SRV, when in fact there are also the various gravity levels of planets to take into account.

I find low grav planets (0,0x) annoying, but it's hardly what I would call difficult.
(I use Battlefield/Planetside 2 keyboard & mouse style controls for it)

Boarding does not always work as well as one might like.

[video=youtube;gND_oP2PijA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gND_oP2PijA[/video]

Most uninteresting, tedious, lifeless activity in the game. I only use it when required for missions anymore. Driving around aimlessly in hopes to find something that doesn't exist yet or doing it for materials just drives me out of the game. Not all activities in the game are for everyone, that's for sure.

Most uninteresting, tedious, lifeless activity in the game. I only use it when required for missions anymore. Driving around aimlessly in hopes to find something that doesn't exist yet or doing it for materials just drives me out of the game. Not all activities in the game are for everyone, that's for sure.

This is actually really interesting. I know people (not one person, but several) who enjoy trading, calculating profits and going through tables and pages of pages of notes - but they hate the act of flying through space in between those "fun parts"

We are one hard bunch to please. :D

Never had a problem returning the SRV to the ship, except once when I dismissed my ship because some a-hole NPC decided to attack it with a Suicidewinder while I was miles out. Seems the ship defends itself well when unmanned. I recalled it to where I was, and it picked the worst spot to land - big rock right in the way, couldn't squeeze under the ship and had to dismiss and recall again. The default controls are right awful, so they needed a remapping. Might change them again, but I've gotten use to them for the most part.

It would be nice if the SRV's had more utility value though - aside from looking for odds and ends or shooting down skimmers (which is fun), such as being able to be outfitted with repair tools to fix a damaged ship, or mining tools to allow for more than just rock-blasting, but they're still pretty new, so we'll see what the future holds. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing some SRV-add-on modules, to make little trains out of them for hauling larger quantities of cargo.

Blimey issues with SRV docking??!!???

"Docking" the SRV is simples!

Line up with ship and drive until you think you are under SRV hatch, then look down to find the board controls, if not there then still looking down roll forward, the display updates with BOARD SHIP as soon as you are in the right position.

You soon learn the skill of SRV driving!

There is also a slight audio click when you are beneath the hanger and can re embark the srv

Do it!

Everyone should know how to play SRV baseball with an Anaconda!!

I'm working on one now. It took a while to get the recording/mic working which isn't something I'm used to doing, but i'm going to try to put together a variety of fun terrain shots to show that it can be a blast to "fly"

A side from the iffy handling on low G worlds (why don't the thrusters point upwards and keep you planted on the ground?),
My only major I had was when I managed to roll my SRV over under my ship, and got stuck. Lol
Took a few long seconds to realise I could dismiss my ship to fix the problem.

This is my biggest BEEF with the SRV too. Handles like crap. If there was a way to reset the throttle controls to only provide a shorter throw of power in these situations that would help.

I also don't like the way it kind of pulses along a lot of the time. I set the throttle to one position, but the motion is uneven (speed up / slow down / speed up /slow down).

I have Drive Assist ON because of the way I have my bindings set up. With it OFF, the controls don't work right for me. Always assumed that a lot of these bugs in the SRV would be addressed in 2.1, but instead we got Engineers while all the features of 2.0 were left unimproved and forgotten.

Or... In the case of the planetary terrain, downgraded from their previous high resolution quality when using ULTRA settings and a top end GPU.

SRV handling is not buggy at all.

Just realize that Drive Assist Off = Throttle means more gas, while Drive Assist On = locks your wheels to a set speed.

Drive Assist On has advantages when trying to climb steep slopes, otherwise keep it off, and avoid over-steering.

One trick is to drive while looking through your turret. It's a higher perspective, and you'll see how you skid and slide when you cut a corner too hard.

PS: I hate driving the SRV, worst handling vehicle EVAR. The fact that we MUST drive it to get Yttrium, and we must have Yttrium for FSD range upgrades, SUCKS. Thread hijacked :)

In other words: "Driving on ice in 0.1g is not as easy as driving on tarmac in 1g."
Well, that came as a big surprise ... NOT.

Lestat

Banned
Best way to make SRV fun. Go on a ATV for a hour off roading in the mountains and such. Then get home and ride the SRV.

You have to turn off 'Drive Assist'.

The SRV is unusable until you do that.
I found the opposite with KB+M. With drive assist off (which it defaulted to), a single press of the "turn left/right" keys would send me careening off wildly, with no sense of control whatsoever. Basic throttle control is similar - with drive assist off, the choice is between going very slowly and Ludicrous Speed, or bouncing wildly in between.

Drive assist on and a lot of control tuning mostly fixes this - with KB+M.
I was on comms with a friend during our first outing and he was using a HOTAS; his experience was totally different and much hilarity ensued.

It doesn't help that the default mapping for the SRV controls are bat     insane. :p

The SRV handling is one of the best I've seen for ground-bases vehicles ever. Maybe binary controls are different, but with axes its just perfect.

Last edited:
Do it!

Everyone should know how to play SRV baseball with an Anaconda!!

Video please :)

Note: I think the SRV is well designed for it's job, and does a great job of running around on planet surfaces.

Getting back on board is the pain.

Get exactly under bay, pointed in right direction. Centered up. No "Board Ship" light.
Drive forward 1 meter. No little "Board Ship" light.
Back up 2 meters. No light.
Pull out completely, adjust track to exact centerline of ship, measure by compass angle, repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat....
After PlayerSufferingTime=X, then allow board ship light. :(

Speaking of jumping off cliffs, the self-destruct in the SRV is supposed to put you back in your ship.

SRV aside IRL can I have a ride in your jet ? Pretty please I promise not to puke :p

Top Bottom