Old rares technique still possible?

Hey, do you guys remember that old single player technique of packing twice the rare goods with only one trip?

I only have one PS4 account and, just for grins, was wanting to get twice the rares in one trip to a rares station. I recall that I could abandon rares near the station and then pick them up within 0 to 20 minutes before they expired. Anyone remember this technique? I used this in the past but I tried it today and failed.

What I just tried that didn't work: 1) I bought rares. 2) I waited 15 minutes or so to make sure the rares would be available when I get back to the station. 3) I flew 7k to 10k meters away from the station and abandoned a rare. 4) I went back to buy one more rare and the station wouldn't sell me one more. 5) failing that test, I flew to find the rare which I abandoned and it was gone too.
Two strikes. Arg!

Given my testing, I don't think the technique is possible any more.

I'm guessing that many newer players will look at this and say something like "what are rares" and they would be justified in doing so. :) The only thing they're good for these days is unlocking engineers.

I know of the east india group which will trade rares for other more expensive things. Not having alternatives is not why I was testing this.

If anyone is bored enough to test this old technique and finds it still works please let me know how.

Thanks

Last edited:
The problem with rares is frankly they're not worth hauling anymore.

there are easier/better/ more profitable ways to make money hauling, which is a shame, because back in the day the rare route was actually quite fun.
I remember the first couple of times doing the 20 odd jumps to witchauul in my Hauler (which i can remember upgrading to a T-6 for more profit per run...
Travelling to the other side of the bubble seemed like a massive undertaking..

Look what I did! I went on an off topic rant on my own thread! :)

Oh well, one more rant. Once Frontier gave players the ability to literally go from a Sidewinder to an Anaconda (and Elite) in one or two days, it's was all most Elite Dangerous vloggers talked about, and it eclipsed everything else for new players. It's sad for sure.

Last edited:
The problem with rares is frankly they're not worth hauling anymore.

there are easier/better/ more profitable ways to make money hauling, which is a shame, because back in the day the rare route was actually quite fun.
I remember the first couple of times doing the 20 odd jumps to witchauul in my Hauler (which i can remember upgrading to a T-6 for more profit per run...
Travelling to the other side of the bubble seemed like a massive undertaking..

Yeah. I loved the Rares Trade.
I used to run The Old Worlds rares route.

3265x8401.jpg

Rare trading was fun. Think I still have bookmarks buried for it somewhere (routes I found to be better than that oft-shared one you've printed out).

Shame that it's entirely irrelevant as an activity once you graduate to Asp/T-6 size ships. Which I guess these days is what, 5 minutes? I'm out of the loop.

Rare trading was fun. Think I still have bookmarks buried for it somewhere (routes I found to be better than that oft-shared one you've printed out).

Shame that it's entirely irrelevant as an activity once you graduate to Asp/T-6 size ships. Which I guess these days is what, 5 minutes? I'm out of the loop.

Rares are vestigial throwbacks to an earlier time. With Void Opals they are just curios or objects of derision (Kamitra Cigars etc).

Look what I did! I went on an off topic rant on my own thread! :)

Oh well, one more rant. Once Frontier gave players the ability to literally go from a Sidewinder to an Anaconda (and Elite) in one or two days, it's was all most Elite Dangerous vloggers talked about, and it eclipsed everything else for new players. It's sad for sure.
FD do have the best knack of scoring goals against their own game.

The Rares route isn't dead. In fact I've got the map uploaded to the nav com in my Krait.

There's a lot of Lore and curious background details to many of the Rares systems including permit locks and nice little coincidences. Making the journey around the circuit should really be a training mission.

Some people think there may even be a ceremonial journey of sorts in the game that requires some Rares be delivered to a certain station.

Who knows for sure. If Its just credits people chase they will miss all of the interesting stuff

The Rares route isn't dead. In fact I've got the map uploaded to the nav com in my Krait.

There's a lot of Lore and curious background details to many of the Rares systems including permit locks and nice little coincidences. Making the journey around the circuit should really be a training mission.

Some people think there may even be a ceremonial journey of sorts in the game that requires some Rares be delivered to a certain station.

Who knows for sure. If Its just credits people chase they will miss all of the interesting stuff
vGsW6S4.jpg

That is a fantastic touch.

Did you see that CMDR @Saool from the Alliance Spinward Marches project got in VR and found that the screw plates on the hatch behind the chair had Alliance logos on them?

The Krait is a truly classy and lore rich ship.

Also
@Rubbenuke - Are you saying Leathery Eggs aren’t available at Ridley Scott Terminal any more? (Which I find weird because Dayrth and the ARC crew haven’t mentioned anything that I’ve heard.)

Or are you referring to this:
52106x1842.jpg

?

Coz that was just where I was billeted during the Lave war, when I was given the discord logs of the Lave Radio Network supporters. It’s not my home or anything. In fact ARC being such a bunch of LRN flag wavers, they weren’t happy about me being based there, but George Lucas In Leesti had been UA bombed at the same time so station services were flakey and we had a war on.

Did you get to read those logs?
It was pretty funny to match up what they were saying publicly on their podcast with what they were actually saying and doing backstage.
Toxic mess of devious personal nastyness in private, smiling liars in public.

PM me if you want the link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom