Ships One for the wishlist: The Lakon Type-8

Hiya, I'm guessing something like this has been suggested and discussed umpteen times before, so apologies if I'm going over very old ground here.

With my main commander slowly returning from Beagle Point after Distant Worlds 2, I set up a new alt to get my fix of life back in the bubble, and also sample the new starting experience in the Pilots' Federation District (very nice job there FDev, the starting experience was excellent and I enjoyed pottering about this new mini-bubble).

Anywho, while levelling up (and btw, the payouts for mapping established, civilised worlds in the bubble are FAR too lucrative - I get it if it's a previously scanned world outside the bubble, but getting millions for scanning a world with 5 billion people already there? ...very immersion breaking - but I digress) I remembered again what a relaxing, therapeutic joy it is to haul commodities in this game, particularly in a proper, dedicated freighter, whether it be the transit van Hauler or the space whale Type-9.

I've now got my alt into a Type-7, the first time I've flown one in at least a couple of years. First time round I remember it feeling like a necessary evil on the long grind to a Python. I read all the criticisms: the looks, the lack of medium-pad capability etc., and while it had a certain 'big rig' freighter chic to it, I didn't really enjoy it.

Fast forward two years, having re-discovered a while back with my main commander my love for the Lakon freighters via hauling in a Type-9 (so much more rewarding and satisfying than doing it in a Cutter), for me, nothing makes me feel like I'm existing inside a huge breathing galaxy than doing a routine trade run. Now I'm having a cracking time hauling freight in my T7 out on the frontier. The stations on my run have large pads so no issue there, the ship has a nice industrial feel to it, and it reminded me again of the gap in the market between the Type-6 and the Type-7.

So, with FDev presumably pumping the vast majority of resources into the upcoming big update, yet dropping in new ships now and then, why not finally address this void easily by making a tweaked version of the Type-7: trim the height down so it will fit a medium hangar but keep the same general aesthetic, use the same cockpit like the Type-6 does with the Keelback and the Type-9 does with the Type-10, lower the cargo capacity slightly to match the smaller height, and perhaps swap two of the Class 1 hardpoints for a single Class 2 so we can go core mining in it (still less firepower than a Cobra so shouldn't be a balance issue). Voila, the Lakon Type-8, a relatively low cost (for both the devs to make and for us to buy in game) new ship that fills an obvious gap in the market.

I'd fly one of those all the time!

Cheers!

Last edited:
You can read more about the Lakon Type-8 in Saggitarius Eye, 1st Issue (look in archives). Its a sad story.
"The Type-8 was a marvel in freighter design, almost able to match the Type-7’s capacity for cargo while sacrificing none of its jump range or defensive capabilities, all at a very cost effective rate. There was only one hiccup in the design of this technological masterpiece: it required a specialized, custom-made powerplant called the “Type-8 Reactor.”

Top Bottom