One Year in and Still No Combat-Free Materials Gathering

Why do someone need upgraded suits if he/she is not doing combat? For the Standard exobio and salvage the normal suits are fine.
The OP stated:

"And to the next lot of naysayers that will say you don't need engineered suits for exploration, yes you do. Having things like night vision, extra battery capacity, extra backpack capacity etc. and extremely helpful in making many of the non-combat on-foot activities more enjoyable."

Not being an explorer, I cannot dispute the OP's view. Having a decent Maverick suit for gathering materials I can understand, although a G3 will do. The only use I have for an Artemis suit is as a combat suit (Tormentor and Executioner loadout) as it is the best jumping suit.

I bought a new CMDR in the Steam Summer Sale, and that CMDR runs around in an un-engineered Cobra. Bought a G1 Maverick suit to get started, replaced it by buying a G3 Maverick suit, which was replaced almost immediately by a G2 Maverick suit with night vision. All found by checking the Pioneer's in the area I was operating. I admit I got lucky with the night vision, but then again, I have found lots of such suits when searching. The good stuff is out there.

So, I upgraded the G2 suit to a G3 and probably have enough mats on hand to upgrade to G5. This CMDR is a bit reluctant to engage in combat, and will only take on scavs, usually from the comfort of the Scarab SRV. Looting anarchy controlled settlements would be an easy way to gather lots of materials, but I am deliberately forgoing that gathering option as I am (role) playing my new CMDR as being non combatant apart from the scavs. A bit more effort is required, but I have no problems running around with G3 gear, no engineering/modifications and self imposed restrictions on play. I already have two CMDRs with all the modified G5 gear that they need and no play restrictions.

Steve 07.

Good job that such isn't required then - not that you'd know.

ETA: Even in a high on-foot CZ, 2 shots from the shotgun (G3 purchase, no engineering) ends the discussion. Usually...
I think I got better to do than visit random shops in the hope that a random item of the right kind would drop in order to play an expansion I paid money for.

I'm not very keen on unloading 5 mags of shotgun into a mook's head to take them out either. Bulletsponge has railroaded my playthroughs of Cyberpunk 2077 to a versy limited selection of builds. I had to force myself to play a melee character and forego hacking.
Even in high ground CZs with the four chevron NPCs, that is not true. For those guys, 2 (G5) executioner shots to take down the shield and 2 more for the kill is more then enough. Most NPCs require only 1+1.

Steve 07.

I think I got better to do than visit random shops in the hope that a random item of the right kind would drop in order to play an expansion I paid money for.
I am a bit confused. You bought the game but cannot play it because you do not have immediate access to better than basic gear? How many games start you with the best gear available? Most seem to require some gameplay to obtain the better gear than what you start with.

Steve 07.

I am a bit confused. You bought the game but cannot play it because you do not have immediate access to better than basic gear? How many games start you with the best gear available? Most seem to require some gameplay to obtain the better gear than what you start with.

Steve 07.
No, I didn't buy it because I played the base game 500h and my stuff is still useless peashooters. I don't agree with FD's idea of progression, most games don't make it past 200 h for me. Only the good ones - and I expect to be able to experience the full game after 500, not an ever-dangling carrot of bogus progression for powercreep.

No, I didn't buy it because I played the base game 500h and my stuff is still useless peashooters. I don't agree with FD's idea of progression, most games don't make it past 200 h for me. Only the good ones - and I expect to be able to experience the full game after 500, not an ever-dangling carrot of bogus progression for powercreep.
It would appear that this game is not the game you are looking for to fill some of your leisure hours.

For many of us, it is the game we enjoy and continue to play despite there being some shortcomings.

Steve 07.

Last edited:
It would appear that this game is not the game you are looking for to fill some of your leisure hours.

For many of us, it is the game we enjoy and continue to play despite there being some shortcomings.

Steve 07.
I wish they hadn't have me play 500h before they nerfed my stuff. Usually I can spot when something isn't my cup in a couple hours. But engineers was a lot of goalposting.

Steve 07.
And we must never mention those shortcomings or even try to improve upon them.

And we must never mention those shortcomings or even try to improve upon them.
There are tons of posts about the shortcomings. And tons of posts of suggestions.

And FD have been known to listen. Occasionally, and sometimes their solution is not what was expected or wanted.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough. I would rather play a game that is good enough, rather than wait for the perfect version.

Steve 07.

As you don't play at all, I am sure you have better things to do.
Just try not to show your ignorance of the current game quite so much, it just makes you look bitter.

There are tons of posts about the shortcomings. And tons of posts of suggestions.

And FD have been known to listen. Occasionally, and sometimes their solution is not what was expected or wanted.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough. I would rather play a game that is good enough, rather than wait for the perfect version.

Steve 07.
But the game is already out, no need to wait. Frontier themselves have asked for our feedback regarding Engineering.

Dismissing everything with "game's not for you then" or "so you want the best gear right from the start?" isn't very productive either.

But the game is already out, no need to wait. Frontier themselves have asked for our feedback regarding Engineering.
Last November wasn't it? I'm sure they'll post a follow-up with their conclusions sooner or later.
Dismissing everything with "game's not for you then" or "so you want the best gear right from the start?" isn't very productive either.
Isn't that S.O.P. for this forum?

No, I didn't buy it because I played the base game 500h and my stuff is still useless peashooters. I don't agree with FD's idea of progression, most games don't make it past 200 h for me.
Observation:

You're the type of guy that has over 1,000 games in his Steam account because you have no attention span. That's OK. That's perfectly fine. Some people are like that. They don't like to have a full 5 course meal and enjoy a fine dinning experience. They want to hork down their double cheeseburger as quickly as possible and move on to the ice cream shop.

Something you have to understand though is that you're in the minority. The vast majority of people like games that have either long, extended, rewarding game play or infinite replayability. They're not like you. They actually want their monies worth.

That's why the vast majority of games are built to be open ended or repetitive. One or the other. Not both.

Call of Duty is exactly that. Once you've played it for 10 minutes, you've played all that game is ever going to be.

This is NOT one of those games. It's not in the same league. It's not even the same sport.

Don't go bashing on the game simply because you couldn't be bothered to actually read what it is and come to terms with the huge, vast, endless scope that this game incorporates.

This what I took from the poster's comments. There have been a number of similar posts by the poster in various threads, saying pretty much the same. The commenting on a part of the game not played/owned because of issues with the base game is not helpful to the discussion. In addition, he does not appear to be continuing to play the game at all.

Steve 07.

The bashing is because the game changed, updated to move forward. It was only 5 years or so ago.
As a new player, my comments are based solely on his statement that he expected everything the game has to offer in less than 500 hours.

At 500 hours, I was just getting a decent start on the game. I still haven't done any land based missions yet. There's nearly 1/3rd of the game I haven't been able to get to yet and I'm approaching 1000 hours in.

That was my point.

Edit to add: especially given the meaning of his name, it's odd that he expected everything to be done so soon.

Last edited:
At 500 hours, I was just getting a decent start on the game. I still haven't done any land based missions yet. There's nearly 1/3rd of the game I haven't been able to get to yet and I'm approaching 1000 hours in.
It sounds like you are playing to enjoy the game. Have lots of fun!
There are quite a few of us here who have many 1,000s of hours played and still have a long 'ToDo" list, but there is no rush - apart from the galaxy being destroyed tomorrow afternoon, of course...

Have you started to engineer your ships yet?

It sounds like you are playing to enjoy the game. Have lots of fun!
There are quite a few of us here who have many 1,000s of hours played and still have a long 'ToDo" list, but there is no rush - apart from the galaxy being destroyed tomorrow afternoon, of course...

Have you started to engineer your ships yet?
Yeah, he's got more engineering than I do...

Not that that's hard to do at all...

Top Bottom