General / Off-Topic Online reproduction of excerpts from the Frontier Manual and Gazetteer

Stachel

Banned
I sent an email to frontier developments last week, but didn't recieve a reply. Guessing it was /dev/null'd

Anyway I want to run a pbem/message game set in the Frontier universe and as my hook in for new players wanted to give them the same intro the Manual does: You are the heir of Peter Jameson, last will and testament and letter from solicitor.

Only thing is I am aware that these are copyright, albeit already in the public domain unchallenged for years, and I wanted to get permission to use them.

As my game is conducted online, through a message forum such as this, I would technically be republishing the will and testament .. which would be reproduction without permission e.g. breach of copyright.

It has been suggested that I just change all the names and re-write the will, but I want to use that specific part of the manual purely because it is original. Not because I lack originality ..

Is there an official line from D.B. regarding the reproduction of parts of the manual or the gazetteer, or indeed, the use of the 'Frontier Universe' for entertainment purposes?

Google shows me that every last word of what I wanted to use has already been published multiple times elsewhere online for many years ..

But I still want to ask. It would be terrible to start a game, then receive a cease and desist letter after a few weeks or months ..

The game is free, no financial gain is made by myself or those who play the game. There is no challenge to the rights of the authors of the excerpts intended. It is purely a case of being creative and having fun.

Would someone at Frontier Developments comment?

Here is the original email I sent:

Dear Frontier Developments/Mr. Braben,

I would like to ask your permission as copyright holder on the
contents of the Frontier: Elite II manual, to reproduce parts of it as
part of a message board based internet roleplaying game.

The game would be hosted here: http://www.dreamlyrics.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

The site is fee paying, but only in so far as to cover the costs of
hosting and maintaining the server. This is done by the community of like
minded individuals who donate the fee.

I am not in any way affiliated with the site, I merely propose to host
a roleplaying game there.

I understand that the contents of the manual, the gazetteer, stories
from Life on the Frontier are already extensively published and
reproduced elsewhere on the internet, and I understand that in many
cases, you have consented to allow it (cf: the stories from Life on
the Frontier) or have not contested it.

Can you kindly allow me to quote from the first three pages of the
Manual (the solicitor's letter and the Last Will And Testament of Cmdr
Jameson) as part of the recruitment blurb for players of my
roleplaying game?

Again, I re-iterate, it is not for profit. I make no profit from the
game directly or indirectly, it is simply for creativity and
enjoyment.

I ask, instead of doing it anyway, because as a member of the
DreamLyrics community, we sincerely respect the intellectual property
of others. Many of us are writers or journalists and we would be
deeply unhappy if someone were to use our IP without first obtaining
permission.

It would be nice to get a yes, no or conditional response.

Thanks!

- cgavin

Last edited:

Michael Brookes

Game Director
I suspect it's not as simple as us saying yes or no, as other parties may be involved. However I am not an expert on these matters so I've passed your request along and will reply to you as soon as I hear something.

Michael

Stachel

Banned
Fair enough.

The terms and conditions of the website, Dreamlyrics, are very specific about copyright material. They understandably don't want any hassle.

With that in mind, explicit permission must be given for any material to be used. Which is why I ask ..

If I could obtain permission or maybe even just a 'I have no issue with it, others may but me personally, I don't mind' specific to my request (not open season for all and sundry) that'd be great.

If its just too complicated, or indeed, consent is not given, no worries!

Will just have to shelve the idea.

Stachel

Banned
Well many months of waiting and I never got a reply from Frontier or Mr. Braben. I don't want to be rude, but you could have at the very least dropped me a line to say 'no' instead of simply ignoring me completely.

As no consent (nor even acknowledgement) was forthcoming I had to cancel the game.

Its a shame that.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Unfortunetly David does get very busy, I did look into this for you, but it's a tricky legal area so not something I can authorise. Apologies for not getting back to you.

Michael

Top Bottom