[OOC] This Is Literally Me Just Begging At This Point

Relspi, I am certainly in the same boat (well...spaceship)
It feels like 2 sides of the same coin to RP in a space sim sandbox like Elite.
On one hand, there are no real restrictions or confining guidelines in how you RP,
but on the other hand...there are no real guidelines or direction as to HOW to RP or even making it a necessity or an option.
(I jumped into Elite and started playing in Open, hoping that it was the common norm and that I would come across all types of players.
Kind of sad to find that most squadrons use their own style of private groups.
Maybe I'm just naïve to have the hope of seeing a bustling Open community,
but I've come to terms and I just stick with it in hopes of coming across some good encounters that would only happen by being in Open play.)

Rhaazerus spends much of his time kicking back and listening to music and GalNet while he rummages through salvage locations or does courier jobs for callous corporations and factions that he finds irrelevant.
He spends a lot of time day-dreaming that he'll come across some cool crew of pilots,
or a (roleplay) Squadron that want to recruit him to get into some dangerous and roleplay heavy hijinks.
So naturally, coming across another CMDR, he would spill his coffee on himself out of excitement and reach for the comms.
So far I've been interdicted by a kind pirate that decided not to destroy me, and I've been run out of a system by a couple of hostile CMDRs who guarded the place like junkyard dogs.

Anyway, if you're around Arcturus, and need someone to remind you that you're still human,
you may just find a rogue, holistic scavenger named Rhaazerus. Feel free to say hello.

Last edited:
I find a sandbox game gives more opportunities to roleplay; the game doesn't get in the way. With more traditional fare the character is on an arc defined by the game. It has events that drive the protagonist in definite directions. The only question is how you respond to them and, in most cases, it doesn't really matter; the plot happens whatever you do.

Consider:
Final Fantasy -- Almost no chances to roleplay as other than the defined roles
Fallout -- huge roleplaying opportunities limited by the story arc.

Elite just gets out of the way and lets us define our own story. It doesn't help, but it doesn't hinder either. It becomes what we make of it. Like ourselves, our characters are formed by their history -- where they've been, what they've done, what they saw and how they responded to it. How you express and inform that is up to you. If writing stories helps, then write stories.

Personally, I don't feel any pressing need to join up with anyone. Soron Silin was always a loner, out in the black at least. He's not looking for a new gang or fun communal activities. (It's only been a few days though and I know nothing of any squadrons that might fit.) He might be up for a low traffic IC chat forum between widely dispersed individuals, just a brief banter with random people to break up the boredom of another 20-jump trade run or to keep from going insane 50kly from civilization.

IC:
I was out in the black when I was not much older than you. I flew the eight galaxies when there were still eight galaxies to fly. They called me Elite and Dangerous. I did a lot of stuff; some of it I'm proud of, some of it I'm not. Then I settled down, got myself a family, commitments. I let my license lapse. Now the family don't need me and the commitments don't matter. I walked away with just enough left to get myself a Sidewinder. Just me and the black. Again.

Top Bottom