Operation "Brown Dwarf"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vrZsA8NWPJMi7BRDKCSRPva8_w1odqJIH6r1imILPos/

Details: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/operation-brown-dwarf.425937/post-8472643

Total ELWs - 2 (1 T-type star)
Total WWs - 99 (2 T-type star)
Total AWs - 28 (0 T-type star)

1 ELW in system:
Eol Prou CR-A a27-22 (L-type star)
Eok Bluae YW-T a16-48 (T-type star)

2 WWs in system:
Dryooe Flyou BQ-B a109-51 (binary WW)
Dryooe Prou DY-A a68-307 (binary WW)

1 WW and 1 AW in system:
Dryooe Flyou UO-U a112-71
Dryooe Flyou VI-O a33-159
Eol Prou ZQ-A a27-289

2 WWs and 1 AW in system:
Preia Pruae LB-X a83-2 (binary WW)
Eol Prou QM-Z a45-0

2 AWs in system:
none

Two ELW found at this time
Eol Prou CR-A a27-22
Eok Bluae YW-T a16-48

Mission objectives:

1. Searching for ELWs in systems with L-class primary star
2. Ammonia and Water worlds
3. Any unusual planets and configurations

Ship: Cobra Mk III
The mission starts on March 28, 3304.

Last edited:
1. Searching for ELWs in systems with L-class primary star

That's been my prime directive since my first untagged ELW. Still no joy after 50k systems.

I've found a few orbiting brown dwarves but there's always been at least an M in close attendance.

Good luck and fly safe.

Hit me up if you want some help. This is one of my specialties. To date ive found 41 of em. If i had known someone else out there was keeping track of em all i would have saved the system names and locations. Anyways, if I find more Ill be sure to send you the info

I’m cataloguing hab zones by searching for “candidates for terraforming” around stars. I know the upper end of that range for M stars is in the realm of 250 ls, so brown dwarves’ HZs must necessarily be far, far closer than that, if they exist at all.

I’ll also note I’ve yet to see a planet closer than about 350 ls around a lone brown dwarf (whereas M and K have metal-rich bodies in the low tens of ls away). It’s almost as if Stellar Forge isn’t even spawning planets anywhere near close enough to L, T, or Y lone stars to produce TC’s, let alone an ELW.

My “success” parameters are looser than yours (TC vs. ELW), but it may be a wild goose chase either way. I’m very interested what you find out anyway!

WDIT: Strike some of that, I see you list a close-in planet (the one at…1 ls?!) This is good news! Was it a round orbit? Or a high-eccentricity one that happened to be close at the time?

Last edited:
All the best in the ELW quest.I've had a go trying to find one orbiting a main L star but no success.

As someone who spent thousands of system jumps looking for an ELW orbiting a White Dwarf, quests like this can be annoying and boring but very addictive when you get into it.Although at least a few have ben found so it's not a potential mision impossible.

My current copy of the EDSM data has 2139 ELWs in systems containing L dwarfs (not necessarily orbiting them directly though, that would take a further analysis, and at a glance it looks like very few of them are). So the number is definitely small compared to what's out there, at least in terms of what people are scanning and submitting.

An example of one that appears to be "real":

L-class: Praea Chraei UQ-J b23-1 B
ELW: Praea Chraei UQ-J b23-1 B 1

Another:

L-class: Pyraleau IR-V c18-25 B
ELW: Pyraleau IR-V c18-25 B 1

EDIT: Note, both of those are secondary stars.

Last edited:
This has also been a bucket-list item for me since way back when Droju IG-M a103-0 was discovered.

Happily, that search ended(*) a few weeks back when I ran into this (name redacted as data not sold yet)
VNIRbUn.png

So they are out there - they're just very rare. I don't even want to think about the number of systems I've searched to find this. It's a lot.

Edit: I just checked, and Droju IG-M a103-0 was discovered back in Feb 2016. That was a looong search.

* Actually the purist in me wants to find one around a sole L-class - but this will do for now

Last edited:
I filtered the list down to look at names showing that the ELW orbits either a single star, or an "A" (primary) star. My copy of the EDSM data has 10 such ELWs orbiting L-class brown dwarfs total. So they definitely exist:

Bleia Dryiae FQ-Z a109-6 / Bleia Dryiae FQ-Z a109-6 3
Blu Thua EH-D b12-0 / Blu Thua EH-D b12-0 3
Droju IG-M a103-0 / Droju IG-M a103-0 3
Dryaa Pri WE-T a44-20 A / Dryaa Pri WE-T a44-20 A 1
Dryooe Flyou AS-K b51-10 A / Dryooe Flyou AS-K b51-10 A 1
Eol Prou VL-B b18-80 / Eol Prou VL-B b18-80 2
Mariyacoch A / Mariyacoch A 2
Negidals A / Negidals A 2
Nuekuae LZ-D b42-1 / Nuekuae LZ-D b42-1 4
Nyeajaae HW-V a70-2 / Nyeajaae HW-V a70-2 1

(note, these are not my finds, this is from the total EDSM data)

Last edited:
Found this last night. These really arent that hard to find... I think when people dont go up or down on the galactic plane and they dont push the boundaries, or give in to the belief that these dont exist... then yea, youre not gonna find these.

Orbiting an L class
20180509_005250-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all very much for interest in this topic! My congratulations to your finds!

I would like to clarify that I'm only interested in those systems where the brown dwarf is the main star in the system.

I saw that there are three such earth-like planets on the "List of Earth-like worlds, v2":
PUEKEE QF-U B34-2

EOL PROU VL-B B18-80
DROJU IG-M A103-0

WDIT: Strike some of that, I see you list a close-in planet (the one at…1 ls?!) This is good news! Was it a round orbit? Or a high-eccentricity one that happened to be close at the time?

The eccentricity of the orbit is 0.06, so this is practically a circular orbit.

Hit me up if you want some help. This is one of my specialties.

Thank you. I would be glad if you will report any of your findings in this thread.

This has also been a bucket-list item for me since way back when Droju IG-M a103-0 was discovered.
Happily, that search ended(*) a few weeks back when I ran into this (name redacted as data not sold yet)
So they are out there - they're just very rare. I don't even want to think about the number of systems I've searched to find this. It's a lot.
* Actually the purist in me wants to find one around a sole L-class - but this will do for now

This is exactly what I'm looking for! [smile]

PS. Oh, I remembered another similar system with the ammonia world and water planets. I quite by chance found it very close to the Colony. But when I returned to the Colonia after a long time, I saw that Heavy Johnson had sold data before me))

Last edited:
I filtered the list down to look at names showing that the ELW orbits either a single star, or an "A" (primary) star. My EDSM data has 10 such ELWs orbiting L-class brown dwarfs total. So they definitely exist:

Droju IG-M a103-0 / Droju IG-M a103-0 3

Thanks for looking those up!

Of course Marx's got to have discovered one of them *grumble* ;)

Thanks for looking those up!

Of course Marx's got to have discovered one of them *grumble* ;)
Oh, I was the first to upload it to EDSM, but it was actually discovered by CMDR Veersarge. There's even a screenshot showing his tag in this thread. I've yet to find any ELWs orbiting L dwarfs, but that's no surprise, as I haven't gone looking for those.
In the meantime, congrats in advance to MattG for finding one of these rare ones!

Also, @ Orvidius: thanks for posting the current list! Looks like I'll have to get screenshots of those too, as I'd like to add them to the list. I don't suppose anyone here has any images of them already?
Oh, and it looks like Puekee QF-U b34-2 isn't on EDSM. Anyone in the area mind swinging by and uploading its data there?

One more thing: it's worth noting that the ELWs in Mariyacoch and Negidals are both terraformed ones. Those can exist with characteristics well outside the ranges of the "natural" Earth-likes. Still, personally I expected there to be more such tELWs in the bubble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom