Opinion and problems with gameplay

I know the game is still developing and the demo looked awesome 10/10. But here are some things that should hopefully be fixed.

Hippos swimming on top of water when they should be walking at the bottom.

Babies like the wildebeest calf not following its mother and instead just doing it own thing when they should be sticking to parents side. Also the removal of genitalia makes me wonder if teats were also not in game and how will babies feed?

Springbok just randomly decides to swim which is something antelopes don't do

Wild dogs rather calm when eating. These things go mad

Hay in the croc exhibit and crocs sleeping on hay

Some animals shown to only have one baby when they should be having litters. Like the wilddogs in demo and bear in trailer

I'll wait for full release.

None of the things mentioned here are disturbing to me though.

+
Swimming antilope.

sitatunga-moerasantilope-het-water-1025420.jpg

Crocodile laying eggs in hay.

depositphotos_226956670-stockafbeelding-wild-krokodil-legt-eieren-het.jpg

Last edited:
Babies like the wildebeest calf not following its mother and instead just doing it own thing when they should be sticking to parents side.
I would really love to see this one.

It's not "disturbing" or a "problem" at all, but some things would be nice details to have. =)

It bothers me also. Being a realism freak I don't like any of that, especially artistic freedom with the hippos. I wish they made a separate kids friendly version and keep aggression levels, genitalia etc. realistic in the main version. But the game has other really good qualities so it still convinced me.

Last edited:
It bothers me also. Being a realism freak I don't like any of that, especially artistic freedom with the hippos. I wish they made a separate kids friendly version and keep aggression levels, genitalia etc. realistic in the main version. But the game has other really good qualities so it still convinced me.
I honestly wish they would have added in the genitalia for realism purposes (especially the mamas genitalia for feeding babies) because you're definitely not gonna hide that in real life at real zoos. lol
I think the aggression levels are just fine towards other animals but they just won't harm the humans. I can't wait to find out more about the fighting system, mating system, birth, death, etc.

I just saw this video today of "Prehistoric Kingdom" and it looks like on their prehistoric mammal (the "Bos") has some form of genitalia? (sheath) Lookie!

Really, though, I think it would be awesome if Planet Zoo would implement it! It's just animal anatomy. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Actually, African wild dogs eat quickly and quietly, and there is very little bickering about who gets what. So how they were eating is pretty accurate

I'm not saying that eating animations are problem but African wild dogs are definitely not calm and quiet when it comes to feeding. Look at any YouTube vid of zoos feeding them and you will see how crazy they get

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
I know the game is still developing and the demo looked awesome 10/10. But here are some things that should hopefully be fixed.

Hippos swimming on top of water when they should be walking at the bottom.

Babies like the wildebeest calf not following its mother and instead just doing it own thing when they should be sticking to parents side. Also the removal of genitalia makes me wonder if teats were also not in game and how will babies feed?

Springbok just randomly decides to swim which is something antelopes don't do

Wild dogs rather calm when eating. These things go mad

Hay in the croc exhibit and crocs sleeping on hay

Some animals shown to only have one baby when they should be having litters. Like the wilddogs in demo and bear in trailer

Whilst the comments are a bit premature because you've only seen one gameplay demo featuring Alpha gameplay (mentioned in both video and overlay), here's a few rectifications:
  • Hippos do walk on the surface, they don't swim. It depends where the surface is so they can find their footing.
  • Both juveniles and adults will age and grow, and they will behave based on their species bio.
  • All animals' needs are based on extensive research and cooperation with zookeepers; some animals will have a low need to swim (which doesn't mean they won't) and some will have a high need to climb - this will drive their behaviours in-game. Again, please remember you've seen an Alpha build and balance tweaks are still being made to the game. This also goes for aggression levels.

On a personal, "taking off my Community Manager hat" here, note: I do not really get some comments about genitalia. I don't remember ever seeing that in a zoo tycoon game (granted I have not played all of them), and I never missed it either - like you know it happens and it's normal but games have always found ways to display these things in a way that works for everyone. Even in the Sims for example, giving birth is treated in a game-y way that works within the Sims universe. Yes, the animals are authentic - I mean, look at them! - but there's some things are are "gamified" for many reasons; audience being one of them. Some things just don't work, and don't need to work, in a video game in my opinion, and I think our team is doing a great job in striking the right balance with everything.

@Bo Marit First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to adress issues some people might have with what they've seen so far. I appreciate it very much and can only imagine how hard it must be to read crticism when we ALL can feel the team put a lot of effort, very good research and as I can see heart into this game. It feels to me like you all aren't just doing the job to get a (hopefully good) paycheck at the end of the month, but because you are really interested in delivering and alos playing a well thought-out zoo simulation game. Something some of us have been waited for over a decade now.

I for myself am still completly hyped for this game and fine with every bit of detail I saw so far. However, people voicing concernce about something often just show how much they anticipate and kind of "need" the game, because for us Zoo Tycoon players something was missing in our gaming-life for years now. Please don't take any critic personally. You are doing a great job, the developers are doing a great job and I have yet to find another company that listen to fans so well. Us voicing concerns may just be a way to try to "help" you making the game the best one possible and making it last for years and thousands DLCs to come. ;)

As for genitals: I can live without them in a game, but as a grown up european I always struggle to understand what is wrong about making animals biologically correct. it's nature. And having genitals in game would mean animals could nurse their offspring. Nothing is more soothing to watch and I would love to see it in game. But, as I said, I can also live without. There are more important things for me the game needs to deliver and so far I'm happy with everything (which I'm clearly not knowen for. The sims devs might hate me).

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
@Bo Marit First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to adress issues some people might have with what they've seen so far. I appreciate it very much and can only imagine how hard it must be to read crticism when we ALL can feel the team put a lot of effort, very good research and as I can see heart into this game. It feels to me like you all aren't just doing the job to get a (hopefully good) paycheck at the end of the month, but because you are really interested in delivering and alos playing a well thought-out zoo simulation game. Something some of us have been waited for over a decade now.

I for myself am still completly hyped for this game and fine with every bit of detail I saw so far. However, people voicing concernce about something often just show how much they anticipate and kind of "need" the game, because for us Zoo Tycoon players something was missing in our gaming-life for years now. Please don't take any critic personally. You are doing a great job, the developers are doing a great job and I have yet to find another company that listen to fans so well. Us voicing concerns may just be a way to try to "help" you making the game the best one possible and making it last for years and thousands DLCs to come. ;)

As for genitals: I can live without them in a game, but as a grown up european I always struggle to understand what is wrong about making animals biologically correct. it's nature. And having genitals in game would mean animals could nurse their offspring. Nothing is more soothing to watch and I would love to see it in game. But, as I said, I can also live without. There are more important things for me the game needs to deliver and so far I'm happy with everything (which I'm clearly not knowen for. The sims devs might hate me).

Of course, that's our job and we love doing it!! ESPECIALLY if you are lucky and get to work on Frontier games like Planet Zoo... :love::love::love:

Nothing was taken personally, don't worry - I've been in this job long enough to know it's about sharing passion! I just wanted to level with you because I'm also a fan of the genre and looooove my animals :) And at Frontier our motto is always that criticism is absolutely welcome, as long as it's constructive!

Thanks!

I feel like the animal doesn’t need genitalia to nurse it’s young they can easily have the animation where the young calf or who ever is under its mom in a nursing way, you don’t need the detail for it to still be a nice thing to watch. I personally would not zoom in so much so to tel the difference if there was a teet there or not.

I too don't really care if there is genitalia or not. If it's there, I'm not going to throw a fit, but if it's not...I'm not going to throw a fit. Stylization is a big thing with any art form. Typically genitalia is something that's omitted at least a for simplicity's sake. I mean, if there IS genitalia, are you going to be upset if you don't see waste matter coming out of it?

Whilst the comments are a bit premature because you've only seen one gameplay demo featuring Alpha gameplay (mentioned in both video and overlay), here's a few rectifications:
  • Hippos do walk on the surface, they don't swim. It depends where the surface is so they can find their footing.
  • Both juveniles and adults will age and grow, and they will behave based on their species bio.
  • All animals' needs are based on extensive research and cooperation with zookeepers; some animals will have a low need to swim (which doesn't mean they won't) and some will have a high need to climb - this will drive their behaviours in-game. Again, please remember you've seen an Alpha build and balance tweaks are still being made to the game. This also goes for aggression levels.
On a personal, "taking off my Community Manager hat" here, note: I do not really get some comments about genitalia. I don't remember ever seeing that in a zoo tycoon game (granted I have not played all of them), and I never missed it either - like you know it happens and it's normal but games have always found ways to display these things in a way that works for everyone. Even in the Sims for example, giving birth is treated in a game-y way that works within the Sims universe. Yes, the animals are authentic - I mean, look at them! - but there's some things are are "gamified" for many reasons; audience being one of them. Some things just don't work, and don't need to work, in a video game in my opinion, and I think our team is doing a great job in striking the right balance with everything.
Wow thanks for replying. I will admit that I'm winging too much. Its great to hear the developers respond to the fans. Yes it's only a demo but it looks great. Keep it up guys

Both juveniles and adults will age and grow, and they will behave based on their species bio.

When do we get to find out more about this feature? The life cycle is one aspect of the game I am most looking forward to exploring. And I do hope this means that young will follow their parents around. That's not something I have ever seen a zoo game include, but I think it would be adorable and add to the realism.

When do we get to find out more about this feature? The life cycle is one aspect of the game I am most looking forward to exploring. And I do hope this means that young will follow their parents around. That's not something I have ever seen a zoo game include, but I think it would be adorable and add to the realism.
Yes, I would also love to know more about this mechanic.. I sure hope that the babies will follow around the mom, dad or both at different times.. of course, you always have those mischievous wanderers. ;) It should be according to what it does in nature of course.

I mean, if there IS genitalia, are you going to be upset if you don't see waste matter coming out of it?
Yeah, I don't think we need to see the details of animals going number 1 or number 2 in any game.

Plus, while I may not be a hardcore prude, these are non-human animal genitals we're talking about. Unless there's a significant number of furries eager to buy the game, I don't think most consumers have that much interest in seeing the animals' naughty bits.

Top Bottom