Optimal HUD colour for least SDE

Messing around with the HUD's colour settings, I started to notice a change with the level of screen door effect in it. Red being the worst and blue the best.
I found that the default orange colour was nearly as bad as it could get, and that changing it to blue makes a decent improvement. Especially with text clarty.
I'm using a Vive pro and wondered if anyone had found a "perfect" setting for clarity but kept the other menus looking normal? And does this change for different HMD's?

Messing around with the HUD's colour settings, I started to notice a change with the level of screen door effect in it. Red being the worst and blue the best.
I found that the default orange colour was nearly as bad as it could get, and that changing it to blue makes a decent improvement. Especially with text clarty.
I'm using a Vive pro and wondered if anyone had found a "perfect" setting for clarity but kept the other menus looking normal? And does this change for different HMD's?
It varies from unit to unit. Without knowing the precise details off hand, different screens have varying degrees of RGB pixels in their matrices. There's usually more concentration in either red, green or blue pixels to even out the balance of pixels from 3 to 4 so that it can fill a rectangular screen (or something along those lines as I recall). LCD differs from LED grouped pixels as well. I suspect that you've found the best colour gradient for your HMD, based on your results.

So this could be the same on the rift, odyssy, vive- anything with pentile displays? But no effect on hp reverb and index. Shame you can only change the hud colours and not mess with the game palette.
Might be worth having optimised settings in EDDProfiler depending on your hmd of choice...

I could be wrong, however I thought OG Rift uses LCD so HUD colour settings for best resolution would be different to that for pentile matrix OLED? I know there's the personal preference aspect which is what it boils down to. In this context I'm just considering availability of sub-pixels which, unless someone knows different, is not a problem for LCD.

I didnt know that we can change colors.
Does anyone have some nice to share and maybe see pictures of them?

I could be wrong, however I thought OG Rift uses LCD so HUD colour settings for best resolution would be different to that for pentile matrix OLED? I know there's the personal preference aspect which is what it boils down to. In this context I'm just considering availability of sub-pixels which, unless someone knows different, is not a problem for LCD.

Sorry, meant Oculus Rift, brain fade :)

I just asteroid rammed my hull down to 60% by trying to mine while watching Judge Dredd, I submit that your brain is waaay better than what mine... duz

According to your table, OG is LCD. See section "Standalone (mobile device mounts and all-in-ones)", almost half-way down.

You;re confusing models, OG Rift is the CV1.

Edit: For clarity, OG is shorthand for original gangster not oculus go, rift, go and quest are models so there is no such thing as an oculus go rift.

Last edited:
Top Bottom