Ships Orca Orca - How can I improve this build?

This Orca is built for long range, luxury class passenger missions for high paying customers with a maximum group size of 4.

I prefer to have some shielding for the time in the bubble, to maximize survival odds when finishing the mission.

The fuel tank has enough fuel for 2 max range jumps. This allows me to visit a star that cannot be scooped. Fuel capacity could be increased if neutron stars needed to be included in the route.

Can this build be improved?

Last edited:

Thanks. If I only need 1 cabin then what about this.

Improved the integrity of the power plant. Improved repair modules. Shielded the fuel scoop. Added 2 tons of fuel. Exchanged size 1 mining laser for class 2. (same weight)

Last edited:
Just click on it in the module list at lower left

It's pretty much personal preference. Either build will work fine.

I don't do much long range passenger running, but I'm considering using my Conda to load up on multiple 40 - 50 mil CR VIP missions to Colonia just for fun.

I usually add an SRV - and then rarely, if ever, use it.

The most important thing to me is to do a lot of practice runs to get muscle memory and discipline to a point where you don't sustain damage. I made 2 runs to BP and never used my AMFU's. It's pretty easy once you have your routine automatic.

I don't worry about the shield much as I find speed to be the Orca's strong point. With 642 boost and 500 sustained speed no one even bothers interdicting me even at Shnrarta.

I also usually have a full load of mats before I head out so that I don't need to hunt for them while I'm out in the black.

I also like the full size fuel tank for those times when you hit patches of unsoopables. I've used builds with less fuel capacity but found it too much of an inconvenience to have to stop and look for a scoopable star on a long run.

It's pretty much personal play style choices.

Last edited:
Seems to me you are hamstringing one of the Orca's strongest attributes (speed), in order to bolster one of the worst (shields).

I'd go something more like this based on what you've shared so far:

Seems to me you are hamstringing one of the Orca's strongest attributes (speed), in order to bolster one of the worst (shields).

I'd go something more like this based on what you've shared so far:

I have to agree. If you're going to use an Orca for exploration you should be making the trade off between shields and jump range. Maximize speed as it's the Oeca's best attribute.

I have to agree. If you're going to use an Orca for exploration you should be making the trade off between shields and jump range. Maximize speed as it's the Oeca's best attribute.

OK. I will rethink it. How fast does it need to be? I presume that I mainly need a reliable way to evade on return to populated space. I don't want to be killed in the final system.

OK. I will rethink it. How fast does it need to be? I presume that I mainly need a reliable way to evade on return to populated space. I don't want to be killed in the final system.

Just put full sized 6A G5 dirty/drag drives on it.
That will be over 600m/s boost for your build.

IIRC 507 4pips full throttle and 642 boost.

I never get interdicted in my Orca as everyone knows they won't catch it. The only things that can catch it won't have enough firepower to stop you from high waking out.

My Clipper only boosts to about 602, that could be a threat. The peashooters are fast but don't have much firepower.

Speed is also a big asset for long range passenger mission as all that I have seen are passengers that don't want to be scanned. I wouldn't want to travel to Colonia and back, set the docking computer and get scanned on the way in and lose the mission payoff. The Orca can slip in and out so fast that it won't ever get scanned if you do it right.

The only caveat to using it as an explorer is that it will be a bit warmer than the classic exploration ships. Anyone using it should spend some time fuel scooping around the bubble to be sure they know how to avoid heat damage.

Anyone not sure would also be better served with a heat sink or two rather than shield boosters.

One of my favorite parts about the Orca is you can still go 630+ with pretty much any build as long as you have G5 dirties.

What a ridiculous ship lol.

Gotta love it - especially once you get used to taking advantage of the fast yaw speed.

It really is a good mats hunter and smuggler as well.

I like the build Bob Lighthouse gave you. That's a well-rounded Orca.

The Orca is one of my top ships. Hardly anyone owns it, but it's clear that Saud Kruger builds the finest ships in the galaxy :)

Mine is engineered for passenger missions to run very fast and very cool. Speed is life and the Orca has it in spades. It rests at 14% heat, so also makes a great smuggler and rescue ship.

There are many ways you could go with an Orca build, but the issue I have with the OP is that building an Orca for a single cabin is very limiting. Luxury missions are hard to find, and aren't that great anyway. My Orca is built to carry multiple cabins, to make it vesatile and re-configurable for whichever good missions pop up in the passenger lounge. Personally I would at least drop the AFMUs, the additional fuel tank and the docking computer. A little slot swapping and you now have space for a class 4 and a class 5 cabin as well. I would switch the GFSDB to a class 4 to reclaim that class 5 slot for a cabin. And I would drop the scoop one size to get a class 6 cabin slot. I just think you need more built-in cabin versatility.

Keep a variety of cabins in storage and equip them when you visit the lounge. Fill as needed, then drop the unused cabins to maximize range and speed.

Last edited:
So you want to aid explorers doing some sightseeing tens of thousands miles away?

I believe you should have three cabins, and take multiple passengers, once you are 25000 ly out, a detour of 6000 ly to visit the other two destinations is no longer an issue.

I would want to find a good compromise between speed (for evading scans), speed using Neutron stars, and passenger capacity. Optimal for your goal would be an Anaconda, but that is much less fun to fly. My suggestion is this Orca. 0E boosters to save power and weight, a heat sink as insurance and for sneaking in, keeping the max scoop and AFMUs for Neutron jumping.

That's a really nice Orca setup. On mine, I've used a class 5 fuel scoop as I have found it to be sufficient, especially given that you have very small fuel tank.
This frees up a class 6 slot for beautiful things like more passengers or a larger shield generator for avoiding those pesky pirates.

I love the Orca too and I've tweaked mine for many hours.

Mine is engineered for passenger missions to run very fast and very cool. Speed is life and the Orca has it in spades. It rests at 14% heat, so also makes a great smuggler and rescue ship.

Just bought an Orca, and this ^ is my objective.

Any chance you could share your build??

I use this Orca for Expedition work. I modified it slightly for your needs here:

Here is the review:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFE_Weo4nLQ

It has a bit less jump range than your build (56,3), but it has been tested to be able to get to Beagle Point rather fast. I use neutron star jump liberally. The heat mechanics of this build are beyond excellent and the handling in normal space is just lovely. Boost speed of 620 and enough shields to take a hit at that speed ramming a station or free dropping to a planet of 1G or more. Enough hull to take that same ramming without shields also.

That power plant of yours is a pretty poor choice for a lot of scooping. I would go either with armored or low emission (I personally prefer the LE but with armored you can downsize your PP a bit so many prefer that).

I hesitate to cripple the ship's original idea this much, but here is a rather stripped version that is still very sturdy and rather fast, but that jumps over 60 LY:

You can still shave 2 tons from PD if you go 3D engine focused, cluster capacitor, but that is already molestation of my dear speed bullet and I cannot do it personally ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom