Orrery!

I like that they added this without teasing it, yet half the livestream chat was just people complaining they still haven't implemented HUD color changes. I tried to explain why that's not going to happen until they have next to nothing important to do, but nobody wanted to hear it.

As good as I'd hoped. It looks very much like the IDWar2 orrery system, which is the gold standard in user friendly orrery GUIs.

Cheers and congrats to ObsidianAnt, he's been asking for this feature for a while now. I'm sure he's doing some backflips and cartwheels right now :D

True, but for most CMDRs it would probably be little/no purpose/use surely? ie: If you could send probes around a system using it, then maybe... But as just a means of looking around? Rare usage?

It looks like it's to scale rather than being a representation. I think it looks pretty awesome but not sure how often I'll use it compared to the system map.

Did you not see it? They showed it on stream.
I did.. that's kinda how I got that screenshot.. lol.
This is the concept art I'm referring to though:
ozVWOUC.png

Not something I think I’ll use much, but I’m glad it’ll be in the game.

I’m very interested in the new exploration mechanics especially the effective removal (or vast modifying of) the advanced discovery scanner/DSS. Will be playing the heck out of the beta!

True, but for most CMDRs it would probably be little/no purpose/use surely? ie: If you could send probes around a system using it, then maybe... But as just a means of looking around? Rare usage?

I believe it will be quite handy for finding the now persistent(!) USSs.

The general visual presentation is a bit prosaic, though.
I wouldn't mind a little bit more playfulness and maybe some additional information at the side (like in the concept art).

Other than that, it is surely a great and unexpected addition!
Well played, FDev! :)

I did.. that's kinda how I got that screenshot.. lol.
This is the concept art I'm referring to though:
I knew people would have this in their mind. That concept art is so out of scale, it’s just the current abstract system map rotated.
The orrery they sowed was a true scale and really shows how massive a system is. Each planet with bodies needs its own orrary, which they showed as you zoom in and out.

I think that showing shipping lanes would be good at a system level within the bubble.

I wonder if stations will be shown

Top Bottom