OT: Omnitrend's Universe1 and 2

Any of you ever play that back in the day. I had it on my Atari 800 but it was also available on a wide range of platforms. It was a very comprehensive space game for it's time. The player could buy different framems for a ship and then pick and chose what components were to be added. Space was limited so the player had to be careful. There were several frames to chose from in a variety of sizes.

With the help of the Nav computer, the play chose jump routes and had to calculate orbit speedsand altitudes.. I mostly remember it as a freighter/trading game but I do remember pirates so there were weaponmounts as well.

I emailed them a few years ago to see if they wouldever ramke or update the game. The answer was a firm no. I could still get the game on 8in floppies if I wanted to for something like $70.00.

Well to be honest the first pc i got was a dos so never had any change to play games on atari.
Also don't really think this is the place to re-live old memory of another company's game

Vamp, I loved Universe II and III for the Atari ST. U2 was playable on a monochrome monitor. (S124?). The trade and personnel features were awesome. Choosing your crew was tons of fun. (Astrogator). I still have my U2 and U3 boxes and disks. All my Atari ST computers still run and I have Frontier: Elite for the ST. I pulled it down from the attic when I ordered Elite: Dangerous. I could still play it. Those Atari's are indestructible. Thanks for the memories.

p.s. Do you know if the full-color galaxy map packed in Frontier: Elite is relevant to the ED galaxy map?

I have no idea about the map. I still have the Note book with all of the catalog items you coudl buy in game for your ship. It has all kinds of info in there and was sold seperaely. It was a very ambitious game for it's time.. I'm pretty sure it was on every platform from PC to Comadore.

lol..yes I played 1,2, and 3 on my apple 2. it was good g ame but the disk switching, if I remember right, was awful. but considering the memory on the apple 2 at the time and the awesome 143K disk storage it was playable for the time. hard to believe how many years ago that was. I was an experienced teacher then so not young. definitely not young now. lol

I had 3 drives for my Atari so that helped a lot on the didsk swapping.. There wer 4 disks I thin, Naviagation, Trading, Combat and maybe outfitting. I'm not sure. It was so long ago.

Top Bottom