Owning multiple carriers

I'll preface this by saying I am in complete agreement with those that are sick of seeing carriers cluttering up systems maps and HUDS across the bubble. The devs really need to think about a way to clean up the UI, my initial thoughts would be to have a clickable drop down for carriers in the system map, and the ability to only display bookmarked targets in the left hand nav panel (that way you only see carriers/stations that you want to see) Old Ducks Mod is excellent for cleaning up the HUD https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/amazingly-realistic-immersion-mod.535240/

With that out of the way, I was finding owning one carrier too restrictive, so (on a tight budget) I bought an additional carrier, storing random cargo I didn't want to lug around (and doing most of the work hauling painite/cheap tritium etc) My main carrier is free to travel light and explore with optimum fuel loads. Have any of you been successful with this, or did you just end up selling it?

Last edited:
You mean you bought another account so you could use a second FC for storage? Seems a bit extreme, but if you need storage that badly I guess that works.

if i would have another account with the necessary credits (only my bubble commanders has enough for a FC, and he has that much only for owning a FC), i would have done it for three weeks or so. i was BGS testing in one end of the bubble and playing the BGS in another. would have been great to have a FC just for testing. but i would have sold it directly afterwards - the loss is minor.

Have any of you been successful with this, or did you just end up selling it?

I didn't bother buying one as I would have only wanted one for easy locations for combat bonds etc, for my PMFs BGS.
But they didn't include PMF BGS options with the carriers so I didn't bother getting one.

Might get one, if things change in the future.

I'm still a bit undecided. I could afford a second one on an alt account, but I'm still concerned that there are too many unsettled issues to add a second one just yet.

Maybe after Patch 6...

You mean you bought another account so you could use a second FC for storage?

Partially, I have had a spare PS4 sitting around for a while, it always had a stock cobra account that I would mess around with occasionally. The primary reason is to store cheap fuel, and avoid carrying around extra mass when jumping, the more fuel or cargo you carry, the more fuel you burn. Last reason is to have a base in the bubble, if I'm off exploring, I can still use a carrier in the bubble to take advantage of any cheap fuel as and when it appears..

You get most of your credits back if you decommission a carrier, so I don't think it's too extreme.

Last edited:
You mean you bought another account so you could use a second FC for storage? Seems a bit extreme, but if you need storage that badly I guess that works.
Long ago, I got an alt so that I could be in two places at the same time. It made engineering easier. Eventually earned 10B for the alt so that I could get a 2nd carrier. Several months ago, I got another account and only earned 4B (without mining) cuz I only had time for a few hours per weekend. An alt for another carrier is a good idea for so many uses, especially since they're so cheap to maintain (only 12M/week). The third alt is useful to increase my earning ability from 250M/hr to 400M/hr thru trade missions. That's the sole reason for getting it. It makes owning 2 carriers much cheaper. And the cost of the alt accounts was cheap. So, I figured, why not?

Having your own Majestic or Farragut would be something else; if they were in game, then they should be like any other ship, only in-play when logged on.

A hangar to accommodate several ships, a decent jump range, few hundred light years, but better armament than the lame shooters they have now.

The kicker? They are subject to attack and damage! Cost? 7.5 billion, no fuel issues with a class 12 scoop, but some sort of up-keep. They would be flyable but handle like a large asteroid on thrusters.

Lots of potential, will never happen.

From a logical point of view, I simply cannot see players ever being allowed to possess one of those battle cruisers. They are the primary means of projecting power for the Superpowers and I cannot imagine any of the Superpowers wanting to share that power.

Wish there was a way to turn FCs off completely. Like they don't even exist. Especially those disgusting little ( ) markers infesting my beautifiul black.

Complains about too many carriers.
Has multiple carriers himself.

I think you completely missed the point, I'll say it again 'cluttering up systems maps ' that is my only issue. I'd be saying the same if regular ships appeared on the system map.

If you still don't get it, the amount of carriers is not the problem, it is the poor UI. I only intend to keep one carrier in populated space, the other is free to explore.

@
CMDR X - As mentioned in the OP, you can turn off parts of the HUD using the link provided, I have all carrier names turned off in the HUD and side panels.. Removing carriers completely is not feasible in a shared galaxy.

@ocflyer. what exactly are you using the third carrier for? My second carrier is currently sitting near a popular mining spot with a buy order, it was previously based near the last cheap tritium port, main carrier has been stripped down for my next exploration trip, only use I can think off for a third would be to base one out in Colonia or deep space near a mining spot.. Feel free to Pm if you have any advice mate.

For those worried about cost, it's like buying/selling regular ships, modules are 100% credits back, hull is around 90%. What else is there to spend excess credits on at the moment? May as well use the credits to expand the fleet.

cheers

Last edited:
I think you completely missed the point, I'll say it again 'cluttering up systems maps ' that is my only issue. I'd be saying the same if regular ships appeared on the system map.

If you still don't get it, the amount of carriers is not the problem, it is the poor UI. I only intend to keep one carrier in populated space, the other is free to explore.

@
CMDR X - As mentioned in the OP, you can turn off parts of the HUD using the link provided, I have all carrier names turned off in the HUD and side panels.. Removing carriers completely is not feasible in a shared galaxy.

@ocflyer. what exactly are you using the third carrier for? My second carrier is currently sitting near a popular mining spot with a buy order, it was previously based near the last cheap tritium port, main carrier has been stripped down for my next exploration trip, only use I can think off for a third would be to base one out in Colonia or deep space near a mining spot.. Feel free to Pm if you have any advice mate.

For those worried about cost, it's like buying/selling regular ships, modules are 100% credits back, hull is around 90%. What else is there to spend excess credits on at the moment? May as well use the credits to expand the fleet.

cheers
Ha! No, not 3rd carrier. 3rd alt. The point was (a) it is too easy to earn credits to buy and maintain carriers, and (b) I find lots of uses. As someone else said, one carrier for storage, which I use to make wing trade missions more efficient, and one carrier for hopping around with a light load.

Top Bottom