Dinosaurs "Pack Hunting" Mechanic (and how it could work)

There are requests for certain dinosaurs having "pack hunting" behavior, but none of them ever go deep into how it could work based on how the game is like. An idea may sound cool in one's imagination, but trying to make it work in a post-released game is way more difficult than you may think. But, I do have an idea of how "pack hunting" for certain carnivores could work out well, an idea concept that was used in an earlier thread post of mine for cooperating two large carnivores on sauropods.

Direct dinosaur contact interactions are made as script animation sequences to play out which are fighting and hunting. Some miscellaneous behavior animations like the harmless carnivore snaps and roaring dinosaurs at one other when walking by are real-time sequences based on entity distance. The contact script animations, on the other hand, can only play when two dinosaur AI entities decide to position themselves because they are way more advanced than the miscellaneous real-time animations. Once the two dinosaurs are in proper position, the script animations play out.

The way how I see pack hunting making it into the game is in the same fashion as how two dinosaurs can go into positioning before executing their direct interaction animations: The usage of script animation sequences, but with multiple AI entities towards one entity simultaneously.

For "pack hunting" carnivores, it would probably be more appropriate of at least one AI entity is hungry enough to start hunt something. Hunting behavior in carnivores only play out whenever they hunger meters reaches a certain low point. It would be likely that the alpha dinosaur would be the one to start the sequence when they get hungry and decide to hunt whatever their AI spots first, allowing the prey item to go into position first as they are triggered by the hungry alpha AI entity. Once that happens, a behavioral stat called "Pack Hunting", with its own icon next to its title, would turn on for all the carnivore entities to carry it out. Once in position, the carnivores will move in take out the prey item together.

For two of the small carnivore species, the raptors, both velociraptor and deinonychus, would be able to perform their "Pack Hunting" system on vulnerable medium herbivores. Pack hunting could perform when at least two individuals are present. Maybe, if possible, could randomize to three maximum when there are three or more raptors together. When the sequence plays out, they would all rush in with the medium herbivore about to run, but one of the raptors jump onto the back of the dinosaur which thrashes around as the other(s) move in, leaping onto the sides and neck, biting lashing out on the helpless herbivore before it falling over where they can finish it together. Once the prey is dead and goes into a rag doll and the raptors go into their idle stance, the animation sequence will end.

Similarly, with certain mid-sized large carnivores which would be carnotsaurus, ceratosaurus, albertosaurus, and spinoraptor, they could hunt down vulnerable medium herbivores with "Pack Hunting" as well, but only with two individuals at once. When two of these dinosaurs are in position, the predators would start running from both sides as the herbivore in the sequence starts running. One of the carnivores would head smack the running herbivore (except for maybe the spinoraptor) against its side to stun it while the second one from the other side goes in to attack it by the neck. At the same time, the first large predator would start doing its own attacking on the herbivore's side as it collapses down where the can finish it off together. Once they do, the sequence ends as the dead victim goes to a rag doll and the predators go back into a regular idle stance.

That is my conceptual plausible idea of how "Pack Hunting" could work out into the game.

Last edited:
Update:

With the release of the Compsognathus from the Return to Jurassic Park DLC and how many you must create in campaign mode, I can now positively flesh out how my “Pack Hunting” behavior mechanic above can work for them.

So, 1 to 4 individual compies shall pose no threat to anything, but when there are five individuals (the number of compies you must make in the JP DLC) they shall enter that same script animation sequence as above for attacking and killing the following below:

1. Goats
2. Humans
3. Small herbivores of appropriate size (ex. Homalocephale)

Since you must make five in the story, this number would be perfect to showcase what they can do if the feature is to be added for them with that many specific individuals.

Maybe, if it could be expanded, and if ever, more individuals of maybe 10 specifically and maximum, they could take on other small herbivores like ornithomimids, other larger pachycephalosaurs, and the dryosaurus? And if that will be the case, it shall always be ten compies for those dinosaurs, and always five of them for the former three above.

If small carnivores do need teamwork to hunt unarmored medium prey except ground feeding sauropods, I think Troodon should be left out because it simply poisons the prey and then waits. That goes for Dilophosaurus too. It just HAS to be poisonous. Also make Iguanodon like the other medium armored herbivores: Fight medium AND large carnivores while scaring off smaller ones, but the difference is that it still can be poisoned.

If small carnivores do need teamwork to hunt unarmored medium prey except ground feeding sauropods, I think Troodon should be left out because it simply poisons the prey and then waits. That goes for Dilophosaurus too. It just HAS to be poisonous. Also make Iguanodon like the other medium armored herbivores: Fight medium AND large carnivores while scaring off smaller ones, but the difference is that it still can be poisoned.
Also, as for the Proceratosaurus and Herrerasaurus, I personally view them as “too primitive”, so I personally count those two small carnivores out for any kind of pack hunting mechanic like how I said the two raptors above could work it out.

Last edited:
With the release of 1.12, the Velociraptor and the T.Rex can now briefly fight each other, with the rex emerging victorious. Because if this, I wonder if my concept here can also apply here with more than one raptor and a rex battle out in a script sequence, with the rex being victorious non the less?

I can imagine at least two raptor individuals jumping and clawing on the rex during the sequence while the rex finishes them off one by one. Kinda a little inspiration when, in the Lost World console game in the chapter where you play as a T.Rex, you deal with a raptor on the front and you slam it onto the ground but not knowing another has spawned behind you and stuns you as it jumps and claws on your back (that was how it was like when I first got to the rex chapter in that game, not sure what to do because there were so many of them spawning in all directions until I died).

Last edited:
Top Bottom