General Gameplay Paleo Flora

Your Feature Request / Idea
Paleo Flora

I'm getting a bit tired so i might have to continue this tomorrow, but this is one major concern of mine right now.

Since carnivores can feed off of herbivores (mostly) reliably now, it highlights how sub par it is that herbivores do not have a natural food source. So here's where Paleo Flora comes in. This is official canon in the very first JP film so you have full rights to do it, and you can explain things by saying that dinos will refuse to eat modern flora as they are unfamiliar with it and gives them digestion issues. Making Paleo Flora instead of the modern one would obviously cost much more, but it would remove the need for feeders and allow animals to actually move freely and migrate about, especially with some good herding behavior, while being able to find food naturally around them, instead of just clustering around feeders, which looks very... artificial, lets be honest.

In addition to it's cost, you would also have to replant it once in a while as it is eaten away. Most dinos can eat the ferns and shrubs, treating them as ground feeders with less charges or so, and Sauropods would munch on tree foliage, treating them as tall feeders. This can introduce it's own set of challenges but players can mix, match and choose what they want to do, and it's always better to give players more tools in a game like this, to play their way. It's far more engaging.

To do this, just make another row of Paleo Forest and Paleo Shrubs above the existing vegetation options in the Landscaping menu. It would require a bit of work in speedtree or whatever you're using and some code rejiggering, but overall i dont think it would cost too much time and effort to implement, especially considering the massive gameplay payoff.

Please remember to rate how much you like these ideas as the forum rules suggest, it is an important tool for the devs to know what the community wants and how much! Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you, in JPOG there is that type of Paleo Flora, and in some way that is implemented as food for herbivores would be great, adding the same sequence of feeding from the automatic feeders to the new Paleo Flora.

5 stars!

Thanks man, it just bugs me so much that we don't have any natural source of food for herbis now, you really can't make a proper "Lost World" style Site B sandbox because they cant survive on their own. Even on the Sorna map, the actual Site B in the campaign they had to add feeders for the wild stegos. It just prevents any real ecosystem, along with hte lack of herding and the problems of how certain mechanics around the social and population caps work.

Paleo Flora would not only be a great way to feed herbivores but could also extend the ways in which we can decorate our parks and exhibits, especially when there are different types of trees and shrubs one can choose from.

For trees/plants in general I would suggest

- Paleo trees and shrubs (Gingko, magnolia, cycads, (tree) ferns, Auraucaria trees, Lycopods, Bennettitales etc.)
-Redwoods and other conifers
- Cypress and mangrove trees for swamps
-Reeds, Horsetails and water lilies for placing in and around water
-Elephant grass
- the ability to place normal trees and palms seperately and individually place plants in general or alternatively a very small brush

Last edited:
Lore-wise, herbivores should always need to feed from feeders, at least at times, but I agree on this mostly.
Actual flora should have more probabilities to cause herbivores diseases (poisoning, digestion issues, etc) and should feed them "less" than feeders and Paleo Flora.
On the other hand, and while being expensive (at least until you have something like Green Houses or Botanical Gardens, which would also function as an exhibit/museum), Paleo Flora would do a lot to help easing the really dumb herbivore AI. The problem would be doing the maths to adjust it to dino numbers because while it should need replanting if you have a lot of animals in a small space, it shouldn't need it so often, or even at all, if you build an enclosure big enough.
Not all herbivores have the same eating needs, and that also can be tweaked via gene splicing so that would also be something to keep in mind while building enclosures with Paleo Flora...
I think it would add a lot to the game, yes.

Paleo flora would be nice as something that could be unlocked via fossil extract.
I mean, they went out of their way to address the revival of extinct vegetation in the book and film.
Aw2BcLZ.jpg

Plus, there's fossilized plants in the game already.​

Last edited:
Paleo flora would be nice as something that could be unlocked via fossil extract.​

The thing is that, while there are lots of plant fossils, I don't think any DNA could be retrieved from those (since their mostly prints, never petrified bones) and many paleo plants are still living; to reconstruct a paleo plant's DNA would require a great DNA editing, hybridation and perhaps other techniques.

Actually, I think it would require much more effort and be better to need some previous (moderately arduous) research (for Greenhouses, to start). Then, once on this new building, you can plan how to place it (water stations and enough space would be a requirement for it) and then began their long-time research on modifying plant genomes.

The thing is that, while there are lots of plant fossils, I don't think any DNA could be retrieved from those (since their mostly prints, never petrified bones) and many paleo plants are still living; to reconstruct a paleo plant's DNA would require a great DNA editing, hybridation and perhaps other techniques.

Actually, I think it would require much more effort and be better to need some previous (moderately arduous) research (for Greenhouses, to start). Then, once on this new building, you can plan how to place it (water stations and enough space would be a requirement for it) and then began their long-time research on modifying plant genomes.

I agree, Paleo Flora wasnt explained in the movies and therefore we shouldnt try to explain it here. It's canon in the movies, it was silly, but it's there, so we can have it just like JPOG had it, making for a better ecosystem.

I know it would probably require more than fossils but, for suspension of disbelief, it would give the devs a means of including new content without it looking hamfisted.

I know it would probably require more than fossils but, for suspension of disbelief, it would give the devs a means of including new content without it looking hamfisted.

Actually, better just it be a research item, than a fossil thing. That makes sense the most to me, as you wont have it unlocked from the start and would require some significant investment and a certain park rating.

Another bump - Given the herding is now ingame, this is the next logical step to make a more natural site B style sandbox for those who want it, which i certainly would love to have a go at and im sure many others agree. Either this or just allow dinos to eat plants that are currently in the game. I imagine this will take a bit of an overhaul on how the trees work currently but yeah, whole thing still very much needed. Larger feeders are all well and good for reducing tedium but this can outright eliminate it and make an island nearly devoid of all humans possible, or just one huge preserve for some gyrospheres. Plenty of good reasons.

Thats not the point of this post, the post is to eliminate the need for feeders which results in a) exhibits that always seem not quite so natural and b) the grouping and reliance upon feeders for herbivores, which eliminates the possibility of creating an all natural Site B or even a huge open exhibit for gyrospheres, through which herbivores will move naturally instead of just focusing around feeders.

Top Bottom