Paralell Galaxies

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ganking is only a thing in ED, because there's nothing else to do once you reached a level. Open only server would give a reason to said gankers to be interested in the BGS, and they wouldn't just spend their time waiting in frequented systems for their next victim.
I really doubt that. There's plenty of gankers who just want to rain on peoples parade, and I very much doubt that even a majority of people currently preying randoms in Open would change that to filling-the-buckets that BGS basically is in the end.

Last edited:
Hay CenturionPuch Are you going to pay for my subscription? So I can play in the open? If not then your idea is a FAIL.

I am on a console that cost $120 to let me play in the open. I can only play solo only.

Note to OP. This game is on one Galaxy only to save space. Used on 3 different platforms. 4 if you account for Non Horizon users. We have 400 billion systems and to split this game up more is stupid.

Last edited:
Hay CenturionPuch Are you going to pay for my subscription? So I can play in the open? If not then your idea is a FAIL.

I am on a console that cost $120 to let me play in the open. I can only play solo only.

Note to OP. This game is on one Galaxy only to save space. Used on 3 different platforms. 4 if you account for Non Horizon users. We have 400 billion systems and to split this game up more is stupid.
Do I look like your mother that you're asking me to pay for your stuff?
I don't care about your problems, don't bother me with them.

The basic problem of your idea is that, at it's core, your idea is "Frontier should more than double all of their costs associated with running a full background sim, but do it for something that won't generate any additional revenue."

The basic problem of your idea is that, at it's core, your idea is "Frontier should more than double all of their costs associated with running a full background sim, but do it for something that won't generate any additional revenue."
This is the main reason why OP's suggestion won't be implemented. It won't be because of all of the "carebears", no matter how much some people might say it is. In this case, it will be because FDev is a company and is trying to make money and OP's idea would would increase their costs without increasing their revenue.

This is the main reason why OP's suggestion won't be implemented. It won't be because of all of the "carebears", no matter how much some people might say it is. In this case, it will be because FDev is a company and is trying to make money and OP's idea would would increase their costs without increasing their revenue.
More people playing because the game caters to a wider audience would sure increase their revenue.

More people playing because the game caters to a wider audience would sure increase their revenue.

You need to give something more concrete than "more people would probably play", given the level of expense you're suggesting here.

I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out some facts you should take into account. They already have the BGS servers up and running and everything. "More people might enjoy playing this way" isn't gonna be enough to make them duplicate it all.

There are only so many people that FDev can market ED to because space sims are a niche genre. The only "wider audience" your idea would reach would be people who want a hardcore PvP space sim, and the poor network architecture (p2p networking, combat logging, etc...) and game balance (healing beams, anyone?) of ED would probably turn most of them away.

While a few people might pick up ED if your idea was implemented, it probably wouldn't be enough to offset the costs associated with the implementation. When you consider that the same funds used to buy more servers for a second BGS could be used towards developing other features that would attract more new players or DLC that existing players would buy, it doesn't make sense for FDev to duplicate their entire BGS in order to cater to a group of players that might not even give their game a second glance.

Meh

The simple answer, rejected long ago, would be to sandbox your CMDR's progress in each mode.

I pretty much always play in Open - but I don't really care what anyone else does.

Nor do I care what anyone else thinks I should do.

There certainly are servers.
It's hilarious that people think that there are no servers because of p2p, considering
matchmaking.png

The idea is a new open only server.
The whole game is copied as it is now, and a new server is started, that is open only.
In the log-in screen, one simply chooses to log in to that server, that is at the time of the split is totally identical to the one we have now.
There are no extra features, modules, etc. on the new server, so if one chooses to stay, there's nothing they are missing out on feature wise.
After the split the two galaxies go on their separate paths. The difference is, on the new open only server BGS and PP cannot be manipulated from solo/pg. No more ghost boxing and a chance to oppose enemies in real space. The old server stays the same, and most likely it turns into the PvE server where carebears can pet each other and is free from the commanders that are in search of competitive gameplay and PvP.
As long FD hasn't sorted out cross platform gameplay, this server is PC only. Yeah, it's time to join the PC master race to play on this server.

Migration from one server to another can be done trough a designated system, for example one gets the chance to migrate in Leesti and nowhere else. Ships, stored modules and credits are all copied over to the other sever and deleted from the one migrating from, but the commander can only enter the other galaxy trough this gate. One migration per month if someone wishes to go back and forth for whatever reason.
No

It's hilarious that people think that there are no servers because of p2p, considering
View attachment 155422

There are servers but the matchmaking server does exactly that and nothing else.
Checks what instances are running, checks the matchmaking rules (mode, wings, friends, blocks, etc.) and then either starts a new instance with you as the host or places you in a shared instance that someone else is hosting.

There are servers but the matchmaking server does exactly that and nothing else.
Checks what instances are running, checks the matchmaking rules (mode, wings, friends, blocks, etc.) and then either starts a new instance with you as the host or places you in a shared instance that someone else is hosting.
Yeah, I know. I was mainly joking there, but obviously the most important thing here is that FDev has a server that stores the galactic state and "runs" the BGS. You want two galaxies, you need to have two galaxy databases running side by side.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom