PC upgrade, advice wanted!

Well I'm getting dizzy :D Now I've been reading and watching YT videos like crazy, as of now I'm leaning towards the Asus ROG Strix x570-E gaming MOBO

It got what I need and is in a price range I find reasonable.
Not sure if it bothers you, but isn't this generation of motherboards the last to use the AM4 socket? As for 3600 DDR4 memory, it works fine on my Asus ROG Strix 570X E with a 3900X.
Don't know, I'm looking at the 5900X CPU as the one I will use.

Well I'm getting dizzy :D Now I've been reading and watching YT videos like crazy, as of now I'm leaning towards the Asus ROG Strix x570-E gaming MOBO

It got what I need and is in a price range I find reasonable.

Don't know, I'm looking at the 5900X CPU as the one I will use.
The only problem I have with the motherboard is the known USB power problem when using the HP G2 VR headset. If you don't use a G2 you should be fine.
Here is a link that compares the 2 CPUs...
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/4087vs4044

The only problem I have with the motherboard is the known USB power problem when using the HP G2 VR headset. If you don't use a G2 you should be fine.
Here is a link that compares the 2 CPUs...
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/4087vs4044
Yeah, also my conclusion, the note I got was...

"They showed the 5900X as being 26% better for gaming than the previous generation’s Ryzen 9 3900XT, attributing this to the new architecture’s faster single core speeds and lower latency. AMD also stated that the 5900X achieves, on average, 6.8% faster gaming performance than Intel’s 10-core i9-10900K. The details around AMD’s testing were not disclosed but it is safe to assume that 6.8% is the highest average lead that AMD are willing to stand by"

AMD has not announced AM5 yet. DDR5 is likely to come with the new socket but noting is confirmed

And about usb power. Use a powered USB hub if you need to power a lot of equipment.

Yeah, also my conclusion, the note I got was...

"They showed the 5900X as being 26% better for gaming than the previous generation’s Ryzen 9 3900XT, attributing this to the new architecture’s faster single core speeds and lower latency. AMD also stated that the 5900X achieves, on average, 6.8% faster gaming performance than Intel’s 10-core i9-10900K. The details around AMD’s testing were not disclosed but it is safe to assume that 6.8% is the highest average lead that AMD are willing to stand by"
I saw a bigger than I was expecting jump in performance when I upgraded my system from Intel to AMD. That's all that matters to me. I like the bang for buck with AMD.

AMD has not announced AM5 yet. DDR5 is likely to come with the new socket but noting is confirmed

And about usb power. Use a powered USB hub if you need to power a lot of equipment.
Won't be until 2022 I have read. They power thing does not solve the problem with the G2. Lots of people have tried including me. There is a bios update from AMD that is currently in beta.

Well, there is always something new, my dad never bought a color TV because he was told (down at the pub by uncle George) that there will be a new model next week.
I upgrade parts of my system every 2-3 years. I should have upgraded my graphics card by now, but we all know how that panned out. Motherboard and CPU next year. Will wait to see about the memory.

I upgrade parts of my system every 2-3 years. I should have upgraded my graphics card by now, but we all know how that panned out. Motherboard and CPU next year. Will wait to see about the memory.
I'd do the MOBO and CPU now, then hopefully I can find a GPU that doesn't cost me the farm later.

yeah price is a big decider, $699 at amazon for the DH $369 for the GAM, ok 2 less USB but very similar MOBO.
We bought the DH much closer to what you're looking at with the GAM - before prices and inventory went crazy...

No doubt things have changed since we did the DH build

My son scored a used 2070 from a friend for $150

It is a tough time to build

I just ordered the Alienware 38" Ultimate G-Sync monitor from Dell scheduled for mid June delivery. My thinking is that if the 3080Ti arrives at the end of May in sufficient quantity to relieve the GPU shortage problem - the next squeeze could be on high end gaming monitors by everyone wanting to complement the new GPU with a better monitor. So I'm doing it backwards as the AW 38 is down to 1425 from it's retail listing over 1800.

If demand goes up because of increased availability of GPU's then that discount is likely to disappear. So I'm hoping that the monitor will arrive just about the same time as the opportunity to upgrade my GPU from a 980Ti to perhaps a 3080Ti - hopefully at a more reasonable price point and availability than what we're facing now.

Timing is everything - just ask your PCIe bus...

Lastly, if/once a 5900X becomes available around the $550 price, I'll upgrade my CPU from the 3900X.

This should put me pretty well positioned to handle whatever Odyssey throws at me.

Hopefully...

Also DDR4 3600 CL 16 runs without a glitch on my box and was the recommended ideal for the 3900X

1619788792532.png

If you're buying hardware today, you're likely paying too much...

Yeah - prices are out of control

Everywhere

Motherboard prices aren't particularly elevated and it's entirely possible to get a quality, relatively full featured, AM4 board that will not be the limiting factor for any an AM4 processor, or most practical memory performance targets, for 200 dollars or less.

The situation with GPUs, and even some CPUs, is quite different. One may not have a choice but to pay more than they normally would, but that's not the case with motherboards.

Motherboard prices aren't particularly elevated and it's entirely possible to get a quality, relatively full featured, AM4 board that will not be the limiting factor for any an AM4 processor, or most practical memory performance targets, for 200 dollars or less.

The situation with GPUs, and even some CPUs, is quite different. One may not have a choice but to pay more than they normally would, but that's not the case with motherboards.
True dat.

I usually keep my PC's for 10 years or more and just re-purpose the old box for something else at EOL. We were fortunate to get our boards before things went nuts.

For me the 11 usb ports were a big draw as I have those on the mb as well as 2 hubs, one 10 port and another 7 port. Hoping I can snag a 5900X and a 3080Ti and then I'm done with hardware for many years to come. I plan my PC hardware budget for these things on a 10 year cycle and that has worked pretty well so far. My old box that retired last year can still do everything my new box can, albiet a tad slower, but it was starting to show some issues with all the usb attached and the 4 monitors.

Knowing that, I usually go for the best quality stuff I can find even if it costs a bit more up front, as the extra $ isn't much over the useful life of the build.

It was time to upgrade and the new box fixes the problems the were starting on the old machine.

A good crypto-crash would sure be nice about now...

True dat.

I usually keep my PC's for 10 years or more and just re-purpose the old box for something else at EOL. We were fortunate to get our boards before things went nuts.

For me the 11 usb ports were a big draw as I have those on the mb as well as 2 hubs, one 10 port and another 7 port. Hoping I can snag a 5900X and a 3080Ti and then I'm done with hardware for many years to come. I plan my PC hardware budget for these things on a 10 year cycle and that has worked pretty well so far. My old box that retired last year can still do everything my new box can, albiet a tad slower, but it was starting to show some issues with all the usb attached and the 4 monitors.

Knowing that, I usually go for the best quality stuff I can find even if it costs a bit more up front, as the extra $ isn't much over the useful life of the build.

It was time to upgrade and the new box fixes the problems the were starting on the old machine.

A good crypto-crash would sure be nice about now...
Yeah I’m on a 10 year cycle too, still running great however is getting long in the tooth.

Back
Top Bottom