PC Upgrade question

My techiness is not at premium level. I am running an AMD PC, CPU Ryzen 5 1600X Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.0GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4 with a 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP. Right now memory is 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB). Thinking of upgrading RAM only for now since I’m back to getting good performance since recent update.

Question is - apart from future upgrade possibilities what is the performance difference between buying 4 x 8GB RAM OR 2x 16GB?

My techiness is not at premium level. I am running an AMD PC, CPU Ryzen 5 1600X Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.0GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4 with a 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP. Right now memory is 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB). Thinking of upgrading RAM only for now since I’m back to getting good performance since recent update.

Question is - apart from future upgrade possibilities what is the performance difference between buying 4 x 8GB RAM OR 2x 16GB?
It shouldn't make much difference, save that if you use 2x16, you'll still have 2 slots in reserve, which you can use for future upgrades, or even (if compatible) to put your current RAM back into for an additional 8GB giving a total of 40 instead of 32.

“ even (if compatible) to put your current RAM back into for an additional 8GB giving a total of 40 instead of 32”

I was told that you had to have the same GB and MHz in each of the four RAM slots to get value of highest RAM module. Is that no longer true?

“ even (if compatible) to put your current RAM back into for an additional 8GB giving a total of 40 instead of 32”

I was told that you had to have the same GB and MHz in each of the four RAM slots to get value of highest RAM module. Is that no longer true?
I don't think so in modern machines, and without knowing specs for your motherboard I can't be sure. If you have the motherboard manual, it should tell you. In my experience the GB is less important, and the speed, MHz, if it will work, will mean it will all run at the speed of the slowest, but it should work. I would check the manual first.

I don't think so in modern machines, and without knowing specs for your motherboard I can't be sure. If you have the motherboard manual, it should tell you. In my experience the GB is less important, and the speed, MHz, if it will work, will mean it will all run at the speed of the slowest, but it should work. I would check the manual first.
Thanks, very helpful 🙂

Top Bottom