PC vs PS4 lag times

I know some of you folks were and or still are avid pc'ers. And now for a number of reasons your playing on a console.

MY question of you folks is:
Does the console seem to lag as far as information like comms from passengers, updating the contact in the left menu. I have an issue where as messages from passenger are not received until I'm at or almost at the dock. Duh, to late. IN addition, when I scan a beacon, it takes 30 to 45 seconds to upgrade the contacts, which is forever in or near a NAV with those griefers sitting there.

I would concur it's either the console, FDev's servers or my extremly slow dial up connection. At any rate the data does come, but at a snail pace.

I have no real answer for you, but just my personal experiences. No lag like you described it on PC/Xbox or now PS4. However, there are times where the servers seem to behave "funny". But that is seldom.

What do you mean by "dial up connection", Sir ? Like a modem and literally "dialing" ? I have a hard time imagine this in 2017 ... Is there no broadband where you life or at least 4G LTE or something like that ?

Without a doubt my PS4 cannot handle the game compared to my PC, but that is really alright in my book, and most of all, what I expected.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
My PC experience I had was worse graphics because my GFX card is less powerful than the PS4 Pro but the SC transitions and such are much better on the PC in Open play (instant, no delay like on the PS4). The mission messages and stuff are pretty much identical between my two experiences on PC and PS4. My PS4 graphically is superior, the PC network wise was superior. (This is on an ageing Core i5-2500k and GTX 570).

I have no real answer for you, but just my personal experiences. No lag like you described it on PC/Xbox or now PS4. However, there are times where the servers seem to behave "funny". But that is seldom.

What do you mean by "dial up connection", Sir ? Like a modem and literally "dialing" ? I have a hard time imagine this in 2017 ... Is there no broadband where you life or at least 4G LTE or something like that ?

I live on the outskirts of a tourist vacation spot in Mexico called Mazatlan. Though there is broad band and even fiber in the city, there isn't any thing except an old antiquaited dial up connection when you get 5 clicks from the city. There wasn't ANY until 5 years ago, so I least I have something.

Thanks, apprently it's just what it is. Though it's a minute or less before my contacts are updated, it seems like a life time when there's other ships in the area and you have to just sit there and wait. Or you take off and generally have to back track cause ya went the wrong way, but at least your not just sitting there.

I think the PS4 version of ED, as good as it is, has plenty of room for optimization. I'm seeing network lag on contacts, SC exits, etc. that just should not be. PS4 hardware is actually high-end on the networking side (it will easily match what any of us have for broadband). I'm hoping we'll see all sorts of PS4 performance-related patches in the months ahead as the dev team learns the minutia of this new platform.

All that said, I watched OA land at a station in a recent video playing on his PC, and boy o' boy do I have PC envy right now. Smooth as butter, super crisp graphics, some nice mods installed. If money were no object.... But not all of us are rich like Captain Nemo ;)

I think they did a great job of the PS4 version, I was a bit worried it would be noticeably worse but its just as good.

I played it on a pretty good PC, 1080p and 120fps, which is smooth, but I dont find 30fps jerky, its smooth enough. But it still suffers the same lag and delays and stutters, it was worse when I played it as it was still in its early days, coming out of supercruise loading an instance, delays selling stuff, not being able to connect to server, depends on how bad a day it was. Ive had very little lag or delays and disconnects on PS4, about 4 in total.

Its more the network and servers or your connection that cause the issues not so much the power of the machine you are playing it on. If you play on a dial up connection even if you spent 5 grand on a PC it will still be laggy.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Its more the network and servers or your connection that cause the issues not so much the power of the machine you are playing it on. If you play on a dial up connection even if you spent 5 grand on a PC it will still be laggy.

This isn't strictly true though, my PC and PS4 Pro are on the same wired Gigabit Lan, the PC performance in Elite Dangerous is so much better, instant SC drops at stations, very little lag and smooth. The PS4 Pro however is a much more mixed bag, I have never seen SC transitions at stations (I have had a few planet side) on the PS4 Pro as good as the PC, much more lag and general network stutter. Not sure its PSN overheads, bad PS4 code or what. I hope it improves.

I think the PS4 version of ED, as good as it is, has plenty of room for optimization. I'm seeing network lag on contacts, SC exits, etc. that just should not be. PS4 hardware is actually high-end on the networking side (it will easily match what any of us have for broadband). I'm hoping we'll see all sorts of PS4 performance-related patches in the months ahead as the dev team learns the minutia of this new platform.

All that said, I watched OA land at a station in a recent video playing on his PC, and boy o' boy do I have PC envy right now. Smooth as butter, super crisp graphics, some nice mods installed. If money were no object.... But not all of us are rich like Captain Nemo ;)

LOL

This isn't strictly true though, my PC and PS4 Pro are on the same wired Gigabit Lan, the PC performance in Elite Dangerous is so much better, instant SC drops at stations, very little lag and smooth. The PS4 Pro however is a much more mixed bag, I have never seen SC transitions at stations (I have had a few planet side) on the PS4 Pro as good as the PC, much more lag and general network stutter. Not sure its PSN overheads, bad PS4 code or what. I hope it improves.

That doesnt mean its not true, when alot of the issues were happening on PS4, the same complaints were happening on XB and PC, Ive had a better time on PS4 but I think I have better internet now than I did 2 year ago on PC.

Though any game can and does have issues, the delay in getting comm's from a passenger which off alternatives and tips to their passage. And or in solo where as you have 10 seconds to relinquish some cargo or get blown up. And or waiting in the voids of space for a location on your contacts to become available unless you like to back track a few ly's; Kind of sucks.

In regards to the last one, though a NAV beacn will give you the actualy names in contact and the ADS doesn't. There is still the lag in time where as your vulnerble to attack. Exspicaly when you use a NAV beacon. Every time I've tried, there's always a half dozen or more conda's waiting to eat me alive. So I only use the ADS and hope I've chossen the right available selection to click on. I've had to actually leave a system, go to another, to find a station, park, and replot the mission. Sometimes, the dam passenger for some reason have the ability to replot the mission, which if you are not willing to comply with, will leave you with out a station to go to. You have to go to another system and replot it manually.

Last edited:
There's definitely a bit of lag in places on the PS4 version.

I'm only using a modest gaming laptop, with a GTX 1060, but it runs decently smooth not in VR. I've only played ED on a PS4 Pro, so not sure if there's any differ with a PS4 OG. Things I've noticed:

- Station UI elements. Such as moving from the main station menu into mission board, outfitting and so on.
- Galaxy map. On PC I can click "Launch" to take off from the docking pad, quickly hit gal map, tab and select a book mark, let it plot, exit. My ship will not have launched yet, and will always be finishing the rise up / at most decoupling.
On PS4 Pro typically I will be launched off the pad, with the blue exit timer started but under 5-10s.
- jump tunnels. On PC I could do consistently 45 second jump to jump transitions. I think 2.2 or 2.3 may of slowed this slightly. However on PS4 jumps will be 50s to 55s, which is due to longer tunnel transitions.
- orbital flight / drop. Again there's a lag here, while on PC it's much smoother dropping down.

Now obviously a lot of this depends on server load, players in instances etc. It is known that speed-jumping in Solo is faster than Open. I can notice these differences, just slightly, however TBH they are not generally annoying unless you get a stuck warp tunnel.

There's definitely a bit of lag in places on the PS4 version.

I'm only using a modest gaming laptop, with a GTX 1060, but it runs decently smooth not in VR. I've only played ED on a PS4 Pro, so not sure if there's any differ with a PS4 OG. Things I've noticed:

- Station UI elements. Such as moving from the main station menu into mission board, outfitting and so on.
- Galaxy map. On PC I can click "Launch" to take off from the docking pad, quickly hit gal map, tab and select a book mark, let it plot, exit. My ship will not have launched yet, and will always be finishing the rise up / at most decoupling.
On PS4 Pro typically I will be launched off the pad, with the blue exit timer started but under 5-10s.
- jump tunnels. On PC I could do consistently 45 second jump to jump transitions. I think 2.2 or 2.3 may of slowed this slightly. However on PS4 jumps will be 50s to 55s, which is due to longer tunnel transitions.
- orbital flight / drop. Again there's a lag here, while on PC it's much smoother dropping down.

Now obviously a lot of this depends on server load, players in instances etc. It is known that speed-jumping in Solo is faster than Open. I can notice these differences, just slightly, however TBH they are not generally annoying unless you get a stuck warp tunnel.

I only play in solo, so the instancing isn't an issue. Just me a few npc at any one time.I don't mind the cops, I always clean, but those dam pirates only give ya 10 seconds and if you don't get the message for 30 or longer seconds, it's rebuy time.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
That doesnt mean its not true, when alot of the issues were happening on PS4, the same complaints were happening on XB and PC, Ive had a better time on PS4 but I think I have better internet now than I did 2 year ago on PC.

Yeh but I tried PC, today and get "instant" SC transitions in Open play, I can't do that on the PS4 Pro at any time. Still prefer playing on the PS4 though as my PS4 is more powerful than my PC, its just the network thats worse.

Maybe your PC is set up better network wise than your ps4, better configed, opening ports or fire walls or such. I'm getting instant SC transitions on PS4 and very little lag or delays, even with a few players on in the area, it could be a setting on PS4 causing it

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Maybe your PC is set up better network wise than your ps4, better configed, opening ports or fire walls or such. I'm getting instant SC transitions on PS4 and very little lag or delays, even with a few players on in the area, it could be a setting on PS4 causing it

No idea. Never had issues on other PS4 games. Would love instant SC transition on my PS4 though.

I hadn't noticed. The only place that i have noticed excessive issues is on planetary surfaces. My SRV kept going 'through' Hills at one point - i thought i would fall through the planet - it was most disconcerting as i had cargo i could not afford to lose at the time.

I've found it depends on time of day. When it's an obviously busy time I'll get slower transitions (ie hear the transition out of jump sound before the star jumps into view etc) but normally it's as fast on my PS4 as it is on my PC

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I've found it depends on time of day. When it's an obviously busy time I'll get slower transitions (ie hear the transition out of jump sound before the star jumps into view etc) but normally it's as fast on my PS4 as it is on my PC

I must have some unknown PS4 network issue then with my setup, mine are way slower on the PS4 Pro than my PC (always). I must admit its usually when dropping to a station, planet side drops are fine. I have followed all the advice in the bug forum, and am on a FTTH connection 75Mbps/5Mbps. Not sure what more I can do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom