RCT 3 PC Performance Issues

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
We are forever being asked about the best computers to run RCT3 - whether ATi or Nvidia is better, is this computer 'good enough' and so on, and how to make a particular system go faster.

RCT3 was designed to run well on both ATi and Nvidia cards; personally I've seen fewer problems on Nvidia cards, but from time to time we see problems on both - particularly when new drivers come out.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but one very important thing when speccing out a machine (not just for RCT3) is to ensure there are no obvious 'bottlenecks'. There are (at least) six separate causes of slowdown in a machine:

1. Processor speed and cache size
2. Main memory size and speed
3. Graphics card speed and memory size
4. Speed of transfer between graphics and main memory
5. HD speed
6. Sound card speed and settings

The first four are pretty obvious - but it it worth making sure they are well matched. For example a good 'rule of thumb' is to have at least four times as much main memory as graphics memory - eg a 256Mb card in a 1Gb machine.

For RCT3 particularly:

1. Processor speed and cache size

A secondary cache size of 2Mb makes a big performance difference. This dwarfs any typical increase in clock rate, particularly for RCT3. Also, if it is a dual core machine - 2Mb shared cache (as Intel Core Duo have) is fine, but the 1Mb+1Mb as the earlier Pentium 4 dual cores have are not.

RCT3 does not take much advantage of dual core, but it can help for (eg) sound cards that do their processing in software.

2. Main memory size and speed

For RCT3, the difference in speed between a paused and unpaused game (with the same 3D view) is accounted for mostly by processor and main memory speed, and is particularly noticable when you have a lot of peeps in the park.

If your HD light flashes continuously when playing the game with a particular park (with a fixed viewpoint), then getting more main RAM should speed things up.

3. Graphics card speed and memory size

The card speed is often hard to find out - but this can make as much as a factor of two difference in speed. This is the main difference between differently priced cards with seemingly similar specs. 'Imposters' can help greatly for a slower card.

Card memory size determines the detail and number of textures, and a large graphics card memory often means less data had to be transferred from main memory each frame. A game will show a sudden slowdown as such a transfer starts - as can be noticed in large parks.

Edit: A good way to check to see if the graphics card is the limiting factor on your machine is to change the detail level. If it makes little difference, then you are probably limited by something else - usually the processor or main memory.

4. Speed of transfer between graphics and main memory

This is a big issue for laptops, and also for graphic cards with smaller amounts of RAM. PCI Express x16 cards are the current best - but it may well be that your motherboard does not run at the full speed of a card.

5. HD speed

This affects load times - there is a huge range of HD speeds. If your load times are long, then you may have a slow HD - or it may need defragmenting.

6. Sound card speed and settings

Many newer (cheap) sound systems do their 3D positioning in software, so only set your system to do 3D sound if you have it set up. If not, then you are likely to be burning quite a lot of processing power.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Gee thanks David for the info. But honestly I don't blame you guys for the lag, because you warned us at the onset that we could get about midsized parks. Just a darned shame though, that we can't build the megaparks ;)

I didnt see the warning at BestBuy:p

Yeah but what you mean on 4?
It is a big issue for laptops???
i play it in a laptop:eek:

Michael Brookes

Game Director
It just means that some laptops have their performance reduced by some components, usually to save cost, space or heat generation. It tends to be an issue on cheaper laptops.

Michael

I bought this machine with the intention of NOT HAVING any issues with this game - I even purchased the online digital Platinum edition specifically because I understood that the bugs were worked out. My HW specs are more than fine (ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified NVIDIA HYBRID-SLI Certified - 9800 GX2 NVIDIA QUAD-SLI Certified - Dual 9; EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard; OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model; Western Digital RE3 WD7502ABYS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive; Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model) but the game hangs terribly (less than 5fps) during nighttime play. Lowering the detail level does not help. Any ideas!? I love this game!

Michael Brookes

Game Director
This was a problem with Securom, the Wild Update 3 should fix it. Unfortunetly the update doesn't work with the download version of the game. You need to contact Atari technical support in case they have another way for fixing the problem.

Michael

I'm an old Elite player and have quickly realized that my kit is way off the spec needed to run the new Alpha version . Could someone direct me to a couple of reputable online PC vendors and the cheapest machine they sell that will run Dangerous comfortably? (yes, I have a copy of the spec, but it doesn't help much when you are buying on-line and don't know what you're talking about!!!). Much appreciated.
Nick.

Nick there was a few threads somewhere about this very topic... and it all depends on what you believe as reputable.

I trust the likes of Scan.co.uk and overclockers.com but neither are particularly cheap. Scans not too bad..

I use my local PC shop creativecomputing.net it has again not the cheapest prices.. but are reliable.

They also offer systems..

Have a look, and I'll try to find threads.. though according to Chris Jarvis on Lave Radio he had it running well on an I5 cpu though he had spent near £600 on the whole system.

I trust the likes of Scan.co.uk and overclockers.com but neither are particularly cheap. Scans not too bad.

All depends on your budget which sadly Nick didn't specify.

Nick - post a thread here coupled with details of your budget and any hardware you currently own (that you maybe able to upgrade) and I am sure one of the forum members will be able to assist you - we're all fairly friendly around here ...

... apart from Psykokow when he hasn't washed his onesie :D :eek:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom