Ships Picking an explorer between DBX and Krait MK2

Hi CMDRs,

Can't seem to decide between those two for a long range expedition - general plan is to travel bubble > Colonia > Sag A and from there eventually to Beagle, using some weird less traveled routes. After about 10k in each - i still can't make up my mind.

DBX pros:
Really nimble and enjoyable to fly both SC and normal space.
More range.
Overall better cockpit view.
Runs colder, than my ex's heart.

DBX cons:
Small scoop, although it's really not a deal breaker for me.
Interior designed by communists Lakon.
No SLF.

MK2 pros:
Has SLF (zoomies, when i'll feel insanity closing in).
Bigger internals.
Arguably, looks better on screenshots.

MK2 cons:
Less range.
Worse cockpit view, although it's a close one due to bottom windows.
Can get pretty hot, if careless.
Somewhat sluggish handling in normal and SC.

Overall, range difference between the two is exactly 10.3ly, when outfitted/engineered to my liking (55.2 vs 65.5). Just to add, I don't want AspX, Phantom or Conda.

What would you pick, CMDRs? Appreciate any feedback/advice, o7.
Why no consideration for the Phantom?

I used an Adder on my long way to Colonia. Followed the Perseus Reach Expedition Waypoints.

When I finally reached my home at Helgoland I went to the Asylum instantly.

I can use liquid food since a few days. Thank you I am fine ;-)

If I had to choose between DBX and Krait MK II, I would have a problem: one jumps further but tanks slower, one jumps less but tanks faster. Both are not my optimal piece of exploration ship. Which would be either the Phantom or the Asp X.

Phantom...did anyone ....?

Why no consideration for the Phantom?
I used an Adder on my long way to Colonia. Followed the Perseus Reach Expedition Waypoints.

When I finally reached my home at Helgoland I went to the Asylum instantly.

I can use liquid food since a few days. Thank you I am fine ;-)

If I had to choose between DBX and Krait MK II, I would have a problem: one jumps further but tanks slower, one jumps less but tanks faster. Both are not my optimal piece of exploration ship. Which would be either the Phantom or the Asp X.

Phantom...did anyone ....?

In the OP i mentioned, that I don't want Phantom, AspX or Conda.

Phantom - I don't enjoy the cabin and how it flies. Same applies to MK2, but that has an SLF option which I considered for fun times. Both Kraits are fine ships, and MK2 is my go to for combat stuff (which I do quite rarely), but I wouldn't want to be in it for a very extended period of time.

AspX's only saving grace for me is the cockpit. Other than that it got the looks, dynamics and handling of a space Prius. Now, I'm going to escape somewhere far, far away, before AspX enthusiasts get me with torches and pitchforks.

Conda is too big, slow and heavy. Do not like.

Last edited:
In the OP i mentioned, that I don't want Phantom, AspX or Conda.

Phantom - I don't enjoy the cabin and how it flies. Same applies to MK2, but that has an SLF option which I considered for fun times. Both Kraits are fine ships, and MK2 is my go to for combat stuff (which I do quite rarely), but I wouldn't want to be in it for a very extended period of time.

AspX's only saving grace for me is the cockpit. Other than that it got the looks, dynamics and handling of a space Prius. Now, I'm going to escape somewhere far, far away, before AspX enthusiasts get me with torches and pitchforks.

Conda is too big, slow and heavy. Do not like.
Totally agree on the AspX. I bought one quite early on, cos everyone said what a great ship it is. Hated it. Mine is a module storage hangar queen. DBX on the other hand loved it the moment I got into it. Take the DBX!

The cockpit is the worst bit! As far as I know the Asp handles better in supercruise than either of the Kraits, but ISTBC.

I liked the AspX. But I was coming from a Cobra 3 so it was a nice upgrade in terms of jump and capacity. It served me well for a long time. It's very versatile and has it's charms. I did my Palin trip in the AspX. But over time it was used less and less until I eventually sold it because I rarely flew it any longer. The sounds and lights don't bother me at all. It was a more pragmatic decision as I cull ships I no longer use in order to keep my fleet around 10 ships. Others sharing the same fate include Keelback, Anaconda, T-9 (OK that one cause I hate it), Dolphin, Cobra 3, Viper 3, Python, Chieftain, and Vulture, which I have since bought another and engineered it.

Mothballed ships cost us nothing, but I like keeping the fleet streamlined.

The cockpit is the worst bit! As far as I know the Asp handles better in supercruise than either of the Kraits, but ISTBC.

Could be, I haven't used it for a while. In normal flight however, it's about as graceful, as a flying cow. And acceleration/deceleration can be measured in dog years. That with A-rated thrusters, I always A-rate my thrusters.

I liked the AspX. But I was coming from a Cobra 3 so it was a nice upgrade in terms of jump and capacity. It served me well for a long time. It's very versatile and has it's charms. I did my Palin trip in the AspX. But over time it was used less and less until I eventually sold it because I rarely flew it any longer. The sounds and lights don't bother me at all. It was a more pragmatic decision as I cull ships I no longer use in order to keep my fleet around 10 ships. Others sharing the same fate include Keelback, Anaconda, T-9 (OK that one cause I hate it), Dolphin, Cobra 3, Viper 3, Python, Chieftain, and Vulture, which I have since bought another and engineered it.

Mothballed ships cost us nothing, but I like keeping the fleet streamlined.

Same here, I prefer to keep my fleet tight. There's the DBX for everyday use/exploring, Python for mining (I thought about something with more cargo capacity, but Python got it just right - I usually get tired of mining by the time she's filled up), Krait MK2 for combat (repurposing for AX), and I'll be setting up something else for CZs/HAZ RES/etc, maybe a Corvette.

Funny that you mention it - but I also didn't mind the AspX engine sound, but the lights - Jesus wept - that was annoying. Not as bad as Kraits, of course, as I really hate those two lamps right in your face. Again - DBX done that right - the lights are directly above your head, and you'll rarely notice them.

Lakon better release some sort of DBX mk2 come Odyssey.

Last edited:
Same here, I prefer to keep my fleet tight.

Right on. Here's mine at the mo

Orca -- Interstellar Style Magnet
Fer de Lance -- Assassin
Krait II -- Combat Sweeper / Scout Sniper
Krait II -- Armed Merchant Cruiser / Rumble Bus
Krait II -- Core Mining Vessel
Krait Phantom -- Scientific Exploration
Vulture -- Knife Fighter
DBX -- Deep Diver / Bubble Runner
iCourier -- Speed Demon / Bounty Hunter
iEagle -- Wake Scanner / Racer
Diamondback Scout -- Scout Hunter

So that's 11 currently and those are my Inara Fleet descriptions

Aside from the Orca, which does not really count, notice the distinct absence of big ships :)

I think you answered your question yourself several times now :)
You don't really like the Krait - besides the SLF option - which you will not use that often, more often you will get angry that you took the cockpit with this lamps in your face, so go with the dbx :)

Honestly - hull pick is a secondary issue with a journey that long you are planning. As a CMDR who made Colonia and Sag* twice I have some credit of knowledge. My take is:

- biggest fuel scoop. Period. If you have two ships to pick from - take the one with bigger scoop capabilities. On a journey like this it's essential to scoop quickly. I too thought that underrated scoop is no issue at all. 500 LYs later I regretted not taking bigger, after 1k LYs I spit at myself for not taking bigger and after 2k LYs I made my way back to get a bigger scoop. Trust me - biggest slot goes for fuel scoop.

- g5 and guargian booster. Engineer your drive to max and outfit booster. Again - pick a hull that offers you enough space for that. If you want to reach places in reaonable time it's mandatory eqipment. If you want to do lots of sightseeing it's optional.

- big and bad AFMU (for neutron highway). My last journey proved that repairing FSD from 79% to 100% takes bit over 1000 AFMU ammo and dropping to 79% (malfunctions start to appear) takes about 40 neutron jumps (not counting overheating or emergency drops).

- boredom breakers: SRV and SLF. SRV is almost a must (tho I personally barely use it) if you want to refill your materials. Any ship can have a bay but those bigger offer double hangars so another advantage of bigger hull. SLF is pure vanity item - it's quite interesting to hit the void in such a shell when you're 2.8k LY below the Galaxy and all you see ahead is pure black, no stars whatsoever. But it requires additional slot.

- paranoia stuff: redundancy SRV bay if you plan breaking them frequently and more importantingly: spare AFMU. This module will repair any other, except itself. Having another, small one, makes you truly self reliant as with small one you can revive the main one. Additional slots required.

Going half way through above you'll fing DBX is insufficient and barely can fit the most basic stuff. And even that won't be top notch as you must make hard decisions. Not saying DBX is bad choice - only it lacks the versatility and utility for very long range journeys. Krait is a better pick in that case.

But it is you who will decide what you want in the end. I was fed up with obvious choices and my last major journeys I made in Clipper and Cutter. Maybe not the best in terms of range (hair width above 50 LYs in a Clipper, 47 in a Cutter but due to redundant AFMUs) but plenty of room for everything needed. My last run I attempted to go Beagle but few k LYs past the Sag I dropped that and returned to Colonia. Main reason - low range. For Beagle I'll be building Anaconda. Overused hull but the only one that can provide both mopdule space and range. I aim for 65 LY bare minimum, looking for passing 70.

A lot of other good comments here. Honestly what matters the most IMO is how much your going to be sightseeing and how much your going to be using Neutron jumps.

The more you plan to sightsee the less raw jump range matters. Whilst the more your going to be using Neutron jump, the more your going to need AFMU's.

The DBX is a great basic explorer and anytime i need to go anywhere where i can't use an L sized ship it's still my go to boat. Easily the most fun to fly of every ship i've owned.

However if your wanting to make fast long range journeys where your going to want to use Neutron jump's it's really tough to give it everything you'll need.

I can't personally speak for the medium ships in exploration as i jumped straight to an anaconda, (your not interested in that i know, thats fine), which is both my dedicated explorer and general purpose scut boat.

But if you want to go for neutron jumps and lots of range i'd recommend a medium ship of some kind.

Right on. Here's mine at the mo

Orca -- Interstellar Style Magnet
Fer de Lance -- Assassin
Krait II -- Combat Sweeper / Scout Sniper
Krait II -- Armed Merchant Cruiser / Rumble Bus
Krait II -- Core Mining Vessel
Krait Phantom -- Scientific Exploration
Vulture -- Knife Fighter
DBX -- Deep Diver / Bubble Runner
iCourier -- Speed Demon / Bounty Hunter
iEagle -- Wake Scanner / Racer
Diamondback Scout -- Scout Hunter

So that's 11 currently and those are my Inara Fleet descriptions

Aside from the Orca, which does not really count, notice the distinct absence of big ships :)

Currently i own:

Cobra Mk III: Briefly owned one after the sidewinder, reacquired it later on to get my toes wet in combat. Pretty much a hanger queen for now but i may find some use for her later on.

DBX: My go to bubble taxi whenever i need distance but not cargo or when i need to land on a small pad.

Python: Former Miner now outfitted for combat.

Type 9: My Mining boat.

Type 10: WIP Large combat ship.

Anaconda: My go to general purpose scut boat with the modules in storage to swap her into a full bore explorer anytime i want.

Honestly - hull pick is a secondary issue with a journey that long you are planning. As a CMDR who made Colonia and Sag* twice I have some credit of knowledge. My take is:

- biggest fuel scoop. Period. If you have two ships to pick from - take the one with bigger scoop capabilities. On a journey like this it's essential to scoop quickly. I too thought that underrated scoop is no issue at all. 500 LYs later I regretted not taking bigger, after 1k LYs I spit at myself for not taking bigger and after 2k LYs I made my way back to get a bigger scoop. Trust me - biggest slot goes for fuel scoop.

I suppose, if your goal is to rush somewhere. All it takes is a single FSS stop in ~10 jumps - so it's never been a problem for me.

Going half way through above you'll fing DBX is insufficient and barely can fit the most basic stuff. And even that won't be top notch as you must make hard decisions. Not saying DBX is bad choice - only it lacks the versatility and utility for very long range journeys. Krait is a better pick in that case.

Dunno, it fits everything I would ever need and packs a decent shield on top, which allows me to be careless during landings. All that with 65.5ly unladen range. Yes, you can easily build a conda that slightly surpasses this range with more internals cramped in, but I passionately dislike that ship. It's an "iwin" button for pretty much every thing besides pvp, and as such - it's boring AF. I would've probably taken Krait, if we could dim/turn off interior lighting. Those two bulbs right in your face are beyond annoying for me to the point of deal breaker.

The DBX is a great basic explorer and anytime i need to go anywhere where i can't use an L sized ship it's still my go to boat. Easily the most fun to fly of every ship i've owned.

Basically my reaction any time DBX called basic or starter :) Certainly agree on being fun to fly though.

f5xTRhF.gif

Basically my reaction any time DBX called basic or starter :) Certainly agree on being fun to fly though.

f5xTRhF.gif

To be fair the difference between a starter explorer and a fully kitted out top of the line explorer is mostly in a few utility items. So it doesn't means as much to call it basic or starter as it does with say a trader.

I used a DBX to go the long way to Sag A (50K LY), to the top of the Galaxy and then on to Colonia where I stored it and came back in a Conda. I use the Kraits for taget practice. theyre brilliant for that, theres enough human trash in the black without adding to it.

Leave the ugly thing behind and fly the DBX, way more fun if a little less secure at times, makes lightning Legrange clouds a lot more exciting for a start.

Keelback is the answer...

I just came in here too post that!! Of the two ships in question I have both, would probably take the DBX. However for me I explore in either Asp Scout, Phantom or T7, depending on where I am going.

But the Keelback is a great shout for small, nimble, great, glassy view out and packs an SLF. I have a Keelback miner. I'm making myself want to pick up a second as an explorer.

I'm new to the game (three months), but I spent my whole time in DBX and I love it... It has everything I need, I've taken it to Sag A., now I'm on my way to Colonia...

When I'm in some boring regions or in a hurry, I usually jump in the system, traverse around the star and do a quick honk while traversing and scooping at the same time, then while I still scoop around 300units/s, I de-throttle and do a quick FSS check if there are any ELW, WW or AW, if not, I exit FSS and hit the accelerator and then Jump button when the star turns yellow on my radar, so I spool up the FSD while still inside scooping zone and I jump usually 50-60s after I initiated previous jump... Very quick and this way I keep my fuel tank full and can do around 60 jumps per hour... Of course I am mostly interested in exploring, so in interesting regions I don't really care how long it takes between jumps...

When I do FSS properly, I can stay at maximum scooping rate (343unites/s) and the heat never goes above 63%...

Top Bottom