Pilots do the dumbest things - post your screw ups

Well, last Friday I was coming into dock at a planetary base in my Cutter. Came out of glide a little too far away and, feeling impatient, I hit the boost button.

Unfortunately I failed to notice that it was a 2G world and that I had just inadvertently boosted myself into the ground. I frantically tried to slow my descent and hit the landing pad, but ended up colliding with the blast deflectors with such force that the impact knocked my shields down completely and my hull down to about 15% and also flipped the ship over, causing it to smack upside down into a turret. All of the base's defences then opened fire.

Expensive...

You should have filmed that, it would have been fantastic! :D

I consider an Action dumb when it happens for at least the 2nd time. The 1st time I book into "learning".
True dat. Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when you are about to make it the second time! [yesnod]

As for my stupid moments: my first planetary station landing on a high-g planet. I did my usual nosedive-boost-approach. Got a really nice bounce off the landing pad.

I also learned the hard way that you should not place the "Jettison all" button next to any other one that you would occasionally use.

Another nice episode was when I flew to Maia, to get the last meta alloys I needed for Farseer. On the way back, only 2 or 3 jumps from Deciat, I wanted to scoop some fuel. Noticed too late that the system had 2 planets in very close orbit. I got grilled to medium-well, but made it out alive. Only my cargo scoop malfunctioned while I was frantically trying to escape to cooler waters, leaving a nice poop-trail of meta-alloy canisters in my wake.

So back to Maia it was. This time, I got intercepted on the way back, by another player. Again, I escaped, but again not without cargo scoop incontinence. That was the last time I played in open while running important errands.

Just recently, I set out on my first big exploration mission. Equipped my ship with a module with 2 heat sinks, just in case. Just about 1,000 ly outside the bubble, I accidentally switched my fire groups and popped them both while trying to scan a planet. Thankfully, I never needed them during my trip.

And then there was that one day, when my first ever PvP contact coincided with my first ever "tip off message" run, which left me completely overchallenged. I got out unharmed, but that unfortunate CMDR whose planet-parked ship I mistook for a hostile mission target did not. Turned out later he was a combat logger, so no sleep was lost over that episode. In case you missed it, the full story is here.

Not so much a screw up, but a funny turn of events. Last week I was messing about in a fighter from my friends Anaconda, I was on a roll, compromised NAV, 20 kills and counting without a fighter loss.... (Dont ask how, sheer luck)... unless you count a death by your mates (motherships) flying skills.... but this fighter was overheating like crazy (Plasma Repeaters), I had warning lights everywhere.... but like a true "pro" I just ignored it, wasnt doing any hull damage(!!)...... was just coming up on my final kill for the night.... a Viper.... guns blazing.... when suddenly I get "Thruster Failure".... and ended up drifting off in the direction of the sun spinning around..... much laughter was had as I was on comms going "MAY DAY MAY DAY"...... "I am out of control!" eventually I drifted outside the fighter range and exploded.... I tried everything to save that damm fighter.... *sniff*..... good times!

Last edited:
My first ever trip to Hutton, in the early days; deactivated almost every module to save fuel. Finally made it to Hutton - yay! Erm, why can't I target it and request docking? Log out, log in, still nothing. Stupid glitch?! Eventually I give up and go home.

later realise that I still had all my modules switched off, including my scanner, and can't target what you can't scan... [knocked out]

I took a week of grinding to fly out to Sag A, once I got there I decided to land on a planet in a nearby system just so I could say I did. I totally botched the landing and cracked my canopy open. I tried to repair it with my AFMU but was unable to. In a panic, I decided to land and get in my SRV since it still had oxygen. Sadly it's not possible to run the AMFU while in the SRV. Some lovely chaps on the forum told me I might be able to dismiss my ship and recall it for a repaired canopy. After doing so, the canopy was repaired and there was much rejoicing.

I decided to repair the rest of my systems and in the process of repairing my life support, took the ship oxygen offline. The mere seconds of reserve oxygen was not enough to restore power and I died in the process.

What do you mean dumb things ?

Do you mean like that time where I picked several missions and one of them asked me to transport 3 tons of grains to some station, and while I was completing another mission suddenly I realised that there were 3 tons of grain in my cargo.

And after asking myself where the hell did it came from, proceeded to flush them out.

And once I arrive at the destination where I need 3 tons of grain wonder why I can't complete the mission, look at my cargo, wonder in disbilief and ask where the hell did that grain go.

And suddenly......

oh........

Yea, it happened once. :eek:

Last edited:
Oh, the usual. Fly to new system to so some mining, no scanner so can't find the planet I want to mine. Fly back to civilization, pick up a scanner, fly to mining system, find planet, drop into pristine metallic ring and voila, no limpets....... facepalm!

Oh yeah! I almost forgot, because I've been trying to forget....

Took a decent-ranged passenger from Sol all the way to some system 300+ light years from Maia, without so much as a Basic Discovery Scanner - and couldn't locate the Tourist Beacon because there was neither a Nav beacon to scan nor any trace of the beacon (it was on the planet's surface). Had to fly back to a system near Maia to buy a discovery scanner, then back again to that system, scanned and found the beacon!

1. Fuel Scoop - Check.
2. Advanced Discovery Scanner - Check
3. American Express Card - Check

These three: Never leave home without them.
Shirt, shoes and pants optional.

I tend to be kind of a hotshot pilot and can bullseye the landing pad at full speed. In the smaller ships I didn't even deploy landing gear until I was about to hit the pad. Needless to say I've paid tens of thousands (at least) in fines at the many stations around the Galaxy, not just from speeding but also from bumping into other ships and the occasional station structure. When I jumped my ship size up from my little Eagle to a ViperIV, my methods didn't change... but the maneuverability of my ship sure did. First time headed to land at a station and rather than boosting through the entrance my attitude thrusters didn't correct my course fast enough and I boosted directly into the wall and got stuck between a pair of support struts. The station was more than fair with their three warnings about my imminent destruction, but I was good and stuck and couldn't get out. Boom goes my shiny new ship. I'm currently putting around in a Keelback, but I learned my lesson about increasing your ship size. I'm still kind of a hotshot, but I've learned that those attitude thrusters slow larger ships down VERY slowly, and give myself some extra room before boosting through the door. :p

Last edited:
I've violated so many stations I've considered naming my ship The Bill Cosby.
I actually laughed out loud at this so hard that my daughter asked what I was laughing at . I told her it was the bit about flying past Hutton Orbital by .45 of a ly. :D (also funny ofc)

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
...testing free-fall velocities FA off while Exploring - while disregarding Altitude and taking Selfies :D

Well, this is what happened :

Oh look, a giant Icy Planet on the System Map. Almost 2g. Let's check it out. *weeee* look how fast my little AspX can go!!
EXP-160912-8.jpg

High Altitude Disengage, so lets have some fun and make the Thrusters dance! *weeee*
EXP-160912-9.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

15 Seconds after this Image was taken, I saw 10km Altitude approaching.
No sweat, she's got L5 Clean Drives.

Oh, pitching up 90deg takes a few Seconds. 6km Altitude. I got it, I got it.

*taps Afterburner* Hehe, I'm a Pro, see? No sweat.

Afterburner depletes at ~1.5km Altitude, Sink Rate : still critical :eek:

*tap* nothing *TAP* nothing *HAMMER HAMMER SPAM* Afterburner lights up again.
Sink rate neutralized at... 400 Meters :p

--------------------------------------------------
EXP-160912-10.jpg

*cough* No don't worry.... I meant to do that... *sweats like crazy* *looks around for new underwear* :D

PS.
Note to myself : Don't do stupid things while Exploring. Don't do stupid things while Exploring. Don't do stupid things while Exploring...

Last edited by a moderator:
On my trip to Sagittarius A*, which was around 1000 jumps, the only damage I took was because I accidentally performed an emergency drop from SC. I tried to engage FSD but didn't have my next system selected so it did nothing. I tried again and ended up in normal space with damaged hull and a long FSD cooldown.

On that same trip I was really close to running out of fuel. I had some extra fuel tanks so that I could jump 8-10 times before needing a refill and once I just kept jumping without checking the fuel gauge. When I finally checked it it didn't show anything at all - as in not even a single pixel, the main tank was completely empty. I felt VERY relieved when I found my current system had a scoopable star.

Once I was backing out of a station slot in my Cutter (I had the bug where there was a NPC ship on my assigned pad) and managed to collide with and destroy another CMDR flying a T7. The station didn't shoot at me (maybe it was anarchy or just because I wasn't going fast) so I survived without any damage but felt really bad about it. Not sure how to prevent that without a rear view mirror though :-(

Well I flew out to an ancient ruin site. I was totally alone. In an asp with a single SRV. At the time I didn't even have and friends in the game....
I scanned an obelisk and headed off to my ship.

This is when it all went wrong. I thought yeah let's go full speed. I boosted into the air span the SRV etc thinking I was the man. The ultimate SRV driver.....
I hit a rock upon landing bounced then up a hill.. rolled span you name it.

I ended up landing right next the my ship very close. I was that close my turret had disabled..
The issue was I had landed on my back side

Yes the SRV was sitting nose sticking in the air. Me looking forward at the sky straight up. I was balancing in the back flat of the SRV, I could look to the right and see my ship nicely... but couldn't move the SRV

Wheels couldn't get enough grip to move me anywhere and I couldn't boost this is disabled when the turret was disabled due to proximity to ship.

I ended up having to self destruct SRV

I then had to fly back in a SRVless ship to the nearest station to buy another one. I travelled over 1200lys to the station and another 1200lys back to where I lost the SRV.....

I have never messed about with SRV travelling back ship since... lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom