Planet Coaster - 1.0.3 Update

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
I have given up expecting any detail tbh Wablamo, it just doesn't happen with Frontier & PC.

Aww that's a little negative buddy. We have given update notes a lot of times. This one is more of an under the hood tech fix which is aimed at improving specific crash issues and stability. I appreciate it feels a little vague but we wanted to explain that it's some tech tweaks and planned fixes rather than worry people that there was some unscheduled update.

Yep, however in the last few updates, they at least made a few bullet points to let us know some the things they done. That was handy.

Even if it just states, fixed crash on 'X' or bug where 'Y' happens should no longer. Means we can see that and check and report back again if needed.

it seems they fixed the queue, i got queues with 30 min since the update! wich is really nice to see full queues

Thanks for the update [heart] be happy that they are even posting this - I mean these are just bug fixes - do we really need patch notes for them ?
Maybe Zac was just too lazy to write down all the bugs that were fixed [wink][wink]

Aww that's a little negative buddy. We have given update notes a lot of times. This one is more of an under the hood tech fix which is aimed at improving specific crash issues and stability. I appreciate it feels a little vague but we wanted to explain that it's some tech tweaks and planned fixes rather than worry people that there was some unscheduled update.

Sorry dude, bad day my end. Wasn't meant to be as negative as it came across. You made a small step in right direction with 1.0.2 but then kinda cut it short with this one.

However that makes sense in what you are saying, just maybe a tiny little detail then saying. "We have made some under the hood tech fixes, which should increase stability and we have seen it improving specific crash issues from the reports that we got"

Just kinda feels a little more specific. Yeah it probably doesn't change much directly to what is being said under your initial sentence but that just just read more like "we done stuff, laters" if you get me?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

it seems they fixed the queue, i got queues with 30 min since the update! wich is really nice to see full queues

Well that would be a pretty big thing to say "we have resolved the queue issues" or even "some of the queue issues have been sorted" because that is something a lot are discussing and we could easily check then.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Thanks for the update [heart] be happy that they are even posting this - I mean these are just bug fixes - do we really need patch notes for them ?
Maybe Zac was just too lazy to write down all the bugs that were fixed [wink][wink]

Aww I don't think they too lazy [ugh] sorry if it came out that way, just maybe that they are under estimating what I feel (and some others) would be handy in the quick updates. I don't want pages but a few paragraphs outlining key points is good.

If they fixed the queue issues, then that's a big thumbs up! [up][up]

If they would've said that from the beginning, my first response wouldn't have been "&#^^$&#^$&#^&^".

It would've been, "Nice work on fixing the queue issues!!".

Sigh...

Last edited:
If they fixed the queue issues, then that's a big thumbs up! [up][up]

If they would've said that from the beginning, my first response wouldn't have been "&#^^$&#^$&#^&^".

It would've been, "Nice work on fixing the queue issues!!".

Sigh...

Aye exactly, this is why I would be surprised if they are fixed without saying as such. It is a rather large deal I feel.

Aww I don't think they too lazy [ugh] sorry if it came out that way, just maybe that they are under estimating what I feel (and some others) would be handy in the quick updates. I don't want pages but a few paragraphs outlining key points is good.

Was just joking Curly [wink] I understand that you want some patch notes. Maybe next time [up]

Edit "an under the hood tech fix which is aimed at improving specific crash issues and stability" into the original post; problem solved.

The ever vigilant Planet Coaster dev team have continued to review your bug reports and this update aims at to address some of those reports made.

This implies

1. Bugs have been fixed

2. That includes specific bugs people reported

You guys don't think those people deserve to know that bugs they reported have been fixed? [rolleyes]

Here's some facts:

- This patch contains specific bug fixes

- Those specific bug fixes were reported on the forums

- Frontier knows what was fixed in this patch

What benefit is there, in any universe, to release a patch and not tell us what is in it? What does Frontier gain from doing this? What does the user gain from doing this?

Do you really think it's right to expect the user to go in-game and test every single bug they've ever experienced to see if anything they have a problem with was fixed or not? Do you really think it's right for FRontier to fix specific bugs specifically reported by specific users on the forums and yet not let us know what they are? They know what they fixed, why would they not tell us and why are you okay with not knowing?

The only two reasons I can think of are blind devotion for some reason or no reason, and/or not caring enough about their own experience or the game.

What benefit is there, in any universe, to release a patch and not tell us what is in it? What does Frontier gain from doing this? What does the user gain from doing this?
By releasing a patch (with or without notes) they improve the user experience. Frontier have fewer issues, and the users have fewer problems. That's a clear gain.

Do you really think it's right to expect the user to go in-game and test every single bug they've ever experienced to see if anything they have a problem with was fixed or not?
No. I expect users to continue to play the game. If they have *specific* issues that stop them from playing, then it would be in their interests to give it a go and see if something has improved.

Do you really think it's right for FRontier to fix specific bugs specifically reported by specific users on the forums and yet not let us know what they are? They know what they fixed, why would they not tell us and why are you okay with not knowing?
I think it's neither right nor wrong. Those users don't have a *right* to know when their particular bug has been fixed, but I can see that in some situations (e.g. persistent crashing) it would be helpful for them to be told.

The problem is that there isn't necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between a change to the code and a reported issue. Sometimes issues that are reported are fixed just in due course (e.g. someone might be doing a code review, spot and fix an issue; in this case there's no link between that change and however many bugs that were reported). Sometimes a fix for one issue will also fix others. And sometimes issues will be fixed because of the information directly from a bug report -- now, I would argue that in these instances there *could* be some feedback. Even when there *is* linkage, it still requires someone to manually go through and update all of those threads, and that's more time consuming than you would think (and yes, I know this because I've spent many a day writing up release notes for customers).

The ideal situation is to have a bug reporting interface that links directly with Frontier's internal issue tracking. But again you still wouldn't get direct feedback in all instances, and it still requires people to maintain it full-time. There's very little return on a bug tracker like this -- in the worst case, its absence makes a few very vocal people annoyed, but it has very little general effect as the vast majority have little interest in patch notes if they don't contain functional changes.

Here's some facts:

- This patch contains specific bug fixes

- Those specific bug fixes were reported on the forums

- Frontier knows what was fixed in this patch

Do you really think it's right to expect the user to go in-game and test every single bug they've ever experienced to see if anything they have a problem with was fixed or not? Do you really think it's right for FRontier to fix specific bugs specifically reported by specific users on the forums and yet not let us know what they are? They know what they fixed, why would they not tell us and why are you okay with not knowing?

I know your never happy with what Frontier does or does'nt do. But man you getting old every single post is you complaining on how you think Frontier should respond hears a thought go make your own game and let us bash you that's just my .02.

Last edited:
By releasing a patch (with or without notes) they improve the user experience. Frontier have fewer issues, and the users have fewer problems. That's a clear gain.

No. I expect users to continue to play the game. If they have *specific* issues that stop them from playing, then it would be in their interests to give it a go and see if something has improved.

I think it's neither right nor wrong. Those users don't have a *right* to know when their particular bug has been fixed, but I can see that in some situations (e.g. persistent crashing) it would be helpful for them to be told.

The problem is that there isn't necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between a change to the code and a reported issue. Sometimes issues that are reported are fixed just in due course (e.g. someone might be doing a code review, spot and fix an issue; in this case there's no link between that change and however many bugs that were reported). Sometimes a fix for one issue will also fix others. And sometimes issues will be fixed because of the information directly from a bug report -- now, I would argue that in these instances there *could* be some feedback. Even when there *is* linkage, it still requires someone to manually go through and update all of those threads, and that's more time consuming than you would think (and yes, I know this because I've spent many a day writing up release notes for customers).

The ideal situation is to have a bug reporting interface that links directly with Frontier's internal issue tracking. But again you still wouldn't get direct feedback in all instances, and it still requires people to maintain it full-time. There's very little return on a bug tracker like this -- in the worst case, its absence makes a few very vocal people annoyed, but it has very little general effect as the vast majority have little interest in patch notes if they don't contain functional changes.

You didn't answer his question. He was talking patch notes; not reasons to patch software.

You can't expect users who've given up on the issues to come back and try it out because things may or may not be fixed. Anyone who puts any sort of value on their time; this wouldn't be in their interests. If they are waiting for something to be fixed, they're a higher level user than someone that doesn't pay any attention to notes, or even notices the issues in the game. The only way to get that information is via notes or if someone posts the issue they are waiting on is fixed.

BTW, are queue lines really fixed? Other than the one post, I haven't seen anything regarding the queues.

Top Bottom