Planet Zoo - August Monthly Catch Up

Eltanin Casciani

Community Manager
Hayo Zookeepers!

Another month has come to an end, and that means it’s time for another Monthly Catch Up! Check out below for a summary of all the awesome stuff that happened in Planet Zoo this August.

News:

We started a new thing here on the forums this month, with our Discussion Threads! If you haven’t seen them yet, these are a chance for us here at Frontier to have a chance to chat and get to know you all more. Our first two were “What are your favourite real-life zoos?” and “What is your favourite Planet Zoo Pack?”! We’ve really enjoyed reading all of your responses, and for the warm reception, they have received. Keep an eye out next month for more to come!

We also started a new feature on our social media - #PlanZoPride! Every month on the 28th, chosen in honour of Stonewall, we will be sharing a pride-themed build from our community. After all, pride doesn’t only exist in June, and we want to keep the love going all year round! Don’t worry if you didn’t take part in the Pride competition, your builds could still be chosen to be featured – just share your creations on the workshop like normal with the tags #Pride and/or #PlanZoPride.

pridefloat.jpg

This months' #PlanZoPride is this Pride Float Bonobo habitat by Caitlin Anwyn – they can even perform on stage with enrichment items! Grab it on the Steam workshop and add a pride parade to your zoos too.

Community Creations

As always, we shared some amazing creations from our community this month, but you also swept us all away with your own new trend – the Planet Zoo Dioramas! Check out below for some of our favourites in case you missed them.
download-_5_-jpg.260298
download-_5_.jpg

Keep your penguins cool in the desert sun with this Modern African Penguin Habitat by AdamUpGaming.

marseilles.jpg

Fancy a trip to Marseille? Now you can visit in Planet Zoo, with this build of Longchamps Palace by Crispims! Complete with water feature and several exhibits, your guests are sure to love this as much as we do!

pumpkin.jpg

We all know pumpkins make wonderful carriages, but did you know they make great cottage's too? Add a little magic to your zoos with The Pumpkin House by swarley.

rudirennkamel.jpg

If we’re going to share diorama’s, we had to share one by the person who started it all – RudiRennKamel! You can find even more diorama builds of theirs on their channels, including process videos!

poisonblade-min.jpg

It’s not the “Jungle Book”, it’s a jungle IN a book! This diorama was so unique that we had to include it – check out the video build of it by PoisonBlade.

Creator Spotlight:

Do you love the dioramas above and want to try making your own? Well, the creator of the trend themselves has you sorted! Check out this video by RudiRennKamel to get started on making your own PlanZo diorama – and be sure to share it with us when you’re done!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8sKmGjYg8s

Finally, it’s time to round off August with a reminder of all the Zoopedia facts we shared:
  • Although the Southern White Rhinoceros has no natural predators, they have been seen with scars as the result of fighting with hyenas
  • Fennec Foxes are highly vocal and will chatter, whimper, wail, growl and shriek to communicate with their pack mates
  • The African Penguin is also known as the Jackass penguin due to its donkey-like cry
  • Meerkat females have a hierarchy of social rank, with the oldest and largest female usually assuming the role of alpha
Thanks for joining us for the August Monthly Catch Up! We’ll see you for another at the end of September!

What an inspiring month for us all! It was so wonderful to see such a rush of creativity during what's usually a dead zone in terms of content. Not to mention our wonderful CM's being so involved this far in! Such a wonderful shakeup to what was once the worst part of the DLC cycle to many of us. Cheers to the creators, the community managers, and the players alike! <3

edit (i'm sorry the same message got posted twice and i can edit but not delete :/ )

Last edited:
Fantastic round up. I still get mesmerized by this game, even if my playing time varies over the course of weeks or a month. This game has meant more to me than the developers would ever know, especially over the last two years. It really does feel like the developers genuinely care about this game, and are not just out to make money (though of course, that's a part of it!). And it really has been a positive upswing in the level of engagement with the community, in between pack release ramp ups.

I can't believe next month is the 2 year mark the beta came out, and about 9 more weeks until the second anniversary of the official launch.

Top Bottom