Planet Zoo - Colour Variation

That'd be good. Be sure to apply the different tints to different parts of the body (as can be seen on the wolf images), make sure to check that all combinations of different body areas for each tint seamlessly blends with every other combination of tints that you apply, and that all combinations look realistic and good. Also, include code for how these different tints, for each body area, are inherited (i.e., the genetic system underlying the variation). Now do this for multiple species and get back to us when you're done.
this is't always quite as hard as you'd think. Fans are often even more passionate and driven with tasks like this than some developers are-- look Pokemon Sword and Shield, and how modders did a significantly better job than Gamefreak themselves did, with most aspects.

Last edited:
Actually, no, if I KNEW before I bought the game that we were lied to and it didn't have a bunch of the main advertised features that made me want the game in the first place, I wouldn't have bought it. Unfortunately, I pre-ordered it.

Secondly... I JUST said I made variant mods.Those lion texture images are mine, I made them, and I made them by doing the exact same thing Frontier clearly did here with the wolves. Opening the OG texture file in Photoshop, and color changing.

Would you like me to demonstrate with the actual PZ wolf textures? Because, like, I can do that lol

I remember seeing you editors do AMAZING things with Zoo Tycoon 2! Do you think it's possible that editors might improve on the colour variants in Planet Zoo, once the update is released? I remember seeing one that changes the colours based on the gender of the wolves. (If I remember right, male arctic wolves are changed to dark grey, females are left white, male timber wolves are blonde, and females are black!) But the code behind colour variations must be significantly more complicated than gender. Not to mention the genetically inherited traits. I have no idea how it would be done!

But I can understand if you and many others aren't up to the task, or don't even want to think about this stuff at all. People don't generally like being lied to-- it's why I refused to buy Pokemon Sword/Shield.

Last edited:
this is't always quite as hard as you'd think. Fans are often even more passionate and driven with tasks like this than some developers are-- look Pokemon Sword and Shield, and how modders did a significantly better job than Gamefreak themselves did, with most aspects.
i remember some time ago i saw some mods on nexus for planet zoo. i went to youtube and looks like there really are people playing with mods, now the question is, wouldnt it be possible for us to add our own "variations" trough mods into the game?
I remember back in the days of rollercoaster tycoon 3, some years after the release the community was still very active and creating a lot of CSO (Custom Scenery Objects) and even new coaster cars, track typse, new shops and much more. untill Planet coasters release i was playing RCT3 with all the custom content. Would be great if that would be possible here too, anyone know more about this?

EDIT: i just checked nexusmods and apparently there is even mods with different animals :D

Last edited:
Hi !

I don't know where to post this, so I thought here would be the best.

Well, the picture I took won't load, but on the Market, sometimes the text get out of the bubble where the color variations is written !

I had it in French with Springbok and Niyala. For Niyalas, it's even worse as the text get out of the bubble and disappear at the end of the market windows.

In others terms, in the Color bubble, the overflow is shown instead of becoming two lines / let a scroll bar appear, and in the market window the overflow is hidden.

There's only one letter that is cut and everything is still readable, but well, it looks quite weird and it could be problematic if there are animals with longer color description in French !

Sorry our language as such long words 😅

Also : these description are really really cool, but I didn't find them on the animals in my zoo ! It would be great if the genetic page of animals was updated too the same way ! This way even people who have a hard time seeing color variations could collection all variations, just for the pleasure of "having them all" (* pokemon music starts playing *)

Once again, thank you a thousand times for this update !

Also : these description are really really cool, but I didn't find them on the animals in my zoo ! It would be great if the genetic page of animals was updated too the same way ! This way even people who have a hard time seeing color variations could collection all variations, just for the pleasure of "having them all" (* pokemon music starts playing *)

Currently, the variation is only shown in the Franchise market. It was introduced in the weekly market maintenance, which only affects the Franchise mode (and was most likely not intended). I am sure the there will be information about the variation on the genetic page of the animal when the update is released.

I keep being surprised by the complexity of the animal variation system Frontier is using, the results are great. I mean first we got the coat pattern variations, then the genetic variations and the albino chances. now we got color variation as well. The only thing i can imagine now is fur length variation.

wouldnt it be possible for us to add our own "variations" trough mods into the game?
Yea, just needs some edits to the animals database and fgm skin material

I keep being surprised by the complexity of the animal variation system Frontier is using, the results are great. I mean first we got the coat pattern variations, then the genetic variations and the albino chances. now we got color variation as well. The only thing i can imagine now is fur length variation.

Yea, just needs some edits to the animals database and fgm skin material
That’s awesome to hear! I don’t know if we’re supposed to talk about that here, but.... I hope to see that soon. A lot of the work Frontier did here is really cool, but some variation is disappointing. I hope modders improve the Camels, reindeer, African wolf dogs, wolves, tigers, and lion manes. :whistle:

Is so much fun to play with lamas now :) what a great job they did here ;)

BeFunky-collage_dark.jpg

Yea as much as I know Frontier doesn't wanna yield, enabling modders is the best possible thing you can do. This should be done with no question.

Top Bottom