🌈 PlanZoPride Competition! 🌈

Francesca Falcini

Senior Community Manager
Hayo Zookeepers!

Pride month is almost upon us, and what better way to celebrate than by kicking it off with another PlanZoPride building competition?

PZ_Pride_Competition_960x540.jpg

Thank you so much to everyone who submitted an entry last year and who has enjoyed our #PlanZoPride highlights every month on our social media. Pride is an incredibly important thing and exists all year round, and that's something we wanted to celebrate here at Planet Zoo! 🌈

But with another June comes another time to share the love and celebrate the LGBTQ+ community, so dust off your flexicolour, get out your favourite rainbow assets, and let's get to it!

Build your best LGBTQ+ pride-themed build to celebrate the season. We don't want to restrict your creativity, so anything goes! Do you want to create a restaurant or an animal habitat? Do you want to create a scenery item, or maybe an entire zoo? Perhaps you want to take screenshots, or maybe you want to create an entire video? It's all up to you!

Once you're happy with your creation, submit it to the Steam Workshop with PlanZoPride somewhere in the name and send us a link to it at community@frontier.co.uk with the subject "PlanZoPride 2022" 🏳️‍🌈

The winning entry will win a Planet Zoo: Wetlands Animal Pack self-care kit, and all entries will be kept for a chance to be featured in our monthly #PlanZoPride posts! All entries must be submitted by Friday 1st July 2022 at 5pm BST.

Prize:
  • A Planet Zoo: Wetlands Animal Pack self-care kit
  • A Planet Zoo Penguin Plushie
  • A Planet Zoo Tote Bag
Rules:
  • Your entry may take the format of a blueprint, full park, screenshot, or video
  • You may only enter once
Competition Terms and Conditions:
  • You only officially enter the competition when you have submitted your entry to community@frontier.co.uk with the subject title: 'PlanZoPride 2022'
  • Your first entry will be considered as your only entry - please only send one entry.
  • All entries must be submitted by Friday 1st July 2022 at 5pm BST.
  • Frontier have the right to remove any entry at their sole discretion.
  • Objectionable or offensive content will be disqualified.
  • The competition will be judged by an independent panel of Frontier staff.
  • The winner will be contacted by the Frontier Community Team via email.
  • The winner has 7 days to respond and claim the prize; if no response has been received after 7 days, you forfeit your prize.
  • Frontier employees are excluded from participating in the event.
  • Frontier reserve the right to exchange any prize for a prize of similar value.
  • Frontier have the final say on the winner and prizes of the event.

Are there gay and transgender animals in the game already? Or will they be added soon? You can't have Pride without LGBT+ representation, after all.

Are there gay and transgender animals in the game already? Or will they be added soon? You can't have Pride without LGBT+ representation, after all.
Not sure if that's supposed to be a Joke Post due to the Mention of Transgender Animals but to answer your Question: there aren't any homosexual Animals currently in the Game. Would be nice though if there would be a small Chance that a Animal could be attracted to the same Gender. It would make the Animals more unique and make breeding a bit more challenging. I assume approximately every Species can be attracted to the own Gender. Planet Zoo also has some Animals that are known to sometimes have same Sex Relationships. For Example Penguins and Primates

This feels a little mean-spirited but I'm going to take you at face value:

Technically? Yes. The snails have, in real life, one single sex that can perform both functions of reproduction. Given that the limitations of the game mean that they have to be designated 'male' or 'female', you could argue that all of the snails in the game are exploring atypical gender expression for their species. ;P

I don't mean to mock the LGBT+ community. Supporting their rights is a good thing in my opinion. But it does seem a bit weird to me for a game studio to celebrate Pride Month if they don't actually have LGBT+ representation in their game.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Animal behavior, if that's what you mean, will be the same as they would in a real zoo. They won't go through changing all their behaviors/animations for 1 month out of the year.

Technically? Yes. The snails have, in real life, one single sex that can perform both functions of reproduction. Given that the limitations of the game mean that they have to be designated 'male' or 'female', you could argue that all of the snails in the game are exploring atypical gender expression for their species. ;P
😂 Didn't think about that one. Would be nice if they could update them. But I assume if they would release a Update for them now, it might cause Problems with some Save Games

Animal behavior, if that's what you mean, will be the same as they would in a real zoo. They won't go through changing all their behaviors/animations for 1 month out of the year.
Why should it be for only one Month? There are enough Zoos in the World that have male Penguin Couples in their Colonys. I think they are even sometimes used to hatch Eggs and raise Chicks if the original Parents can't do it for some Reason

🤔 now that I think about it, gay Penguins might be quite easy to implement. Just add a small Possibility that they get a Partner of the same Gender assigned by the Game and include a few Animations for them like cuddling and cleaning each others Feathers (I assume Penguin Couples might do this?)

Edit: googled it. Penguin Couples do indeed clean each others Feathers

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Honestly, nothing is "easy" to do in game development. The benefit has to outway the amount of work that would go into a new feature of the game. And if it's only for 1 month I don't think they would ever do something like this. Just my opinion from being around for many years.

Ohhh this sounds amazing! 🥰
Quick question, as I've never participated in a building contest before: Will we be able/allowed to use custom billboards? :) or will they show up as empty billboards to the frontier team? thanks for helping!

(Also I'd absolutly LOVE to see gay penguins like they were mentioned in this thread already!!)

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Ohhh this sounds amazing! 🥰
Quick question, as I've never participated in a building contest before: Will we be able/allowed to use custom billboards? :) or will they show up as empty billboards to the frontier team? thanks for helping!

(Also I'd absolutly LOVE to see gay penguins like they were mentioned in this thread already!!)
The billboard will show up blank if someone else were to use your submission in the game. That's because the files (pics/video) have to be in the computer of the person viewing your build.

We'd love to see what you build though and hope that doesn't hurt your submission to much :)

Will we be able/allowed to use custom billboards? :) or will they show up as empty billboards to the frontier team? thanks for helping!
I guess it will be ok If you link the necessary File in the Blueprint Description or if you include it in your E-Mail

Very disappointing to see Frontier using LGBT issues as a bit of easy PR. Will Frontier be making a donation to an LGBT charity to provide actual support or is this just lip service?

I don't mean to mock the LGBT+ community. Supporting their rights is a good thing in my opinion. But it does seem a bit weird to me for a game studio to celebrate Pride Month if they don't actually have LGBT+ representation in their game.
How tf does is matter what is within the game at all?... Especially animals. Even if it was a racing-game. - LGBT is about HUMANS and PEOPLE play this game.
There's doesn't need to be any "representation" WITHIN the game by default, but giving the assignment to make a "Pride"-themed park would be a way to represent it.
And, again, it's about the representation and acceptance of the people.

Very disappointing to see Frontier using LGBT issues as a bit of easy PR. Will Frontier be making a donation to an LGBT charity to provide actual support or is this just lip service?
I wouldn’t start by assuming it’s an easy bit of PR. But it’s reasonable to ask how they create a positive environment and actively support inclusion and diversity as a company.

How tf does is matter what is within the game at all?... Especially animals. Even if it was a racing-game. - LGBT is about HUMANS and PEOPLE play this game.
There's doesn't need to be any "representation" WITHIN the game by default, but giving the assignment to make a "Pride"-themed park would be a way to represent it.
And, again, it's about the representation and acceptance of the people.
Fair enough, I guess just seeing all the critiques of corporations using Pride month to promote their brand has made me too cynical. Still, better for them to support Pride than come out against it.

Top Bottom