Player Faction but no Squadron

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is exactly a BGS question but what does it mean when you find a player faction in a system that has no associated squadron?
Is there some way to track the player group that "owns" the faction?

There's no way in-game to find out which squadrons support any faction. If there was, it'd make diplomacy a lot easier.

I've sat in on diplomacy discussions where people with PMFs have been shocked and confused to find that a system they're looking to snatch already has a player group in it that just happens to have adopted one of the existing factions.
"But there's no player factions there! The system should be open! They're griefing us by not letting us roll in and take over!"

Yup, precisely the first thing I did, no dice
I believe you can own a faction without being in a squadron. All it means is that you want to have a faction of your own that you can increase the power of in a system and possibly expand to other systems. It really has no other purpose than to accomplish that end. I believe you can tie it with a superpower as well.

There's no way in-game to find out which squadrons support any faction. If there was, it'd make diplomacy a lot easier.

I've sat in on diplomacy discussions where people with PMFs have been shocked and confused to find that a system they're looking to snatch already has a player group in it that just happens to have adopted one of the existing factions.
"But there's no player factions there! The system should be open! They're griefing us by not letting us roll in and take over!"

Yes I can understand that is an issue.
What I am seeing though is a controlling player faction in a system, but there doesn't look to be any squadron that "owns" the faction

I believe you can own a faction without being in a squadron.

OK that was mainly what I was asking, cheers.

Inara isn't an official thing either, so you can't assume that every group has a representative active on there.
I "support" well over half a dozen individual factions personally, but my squadron isn't officially affiliated with any so there's no way to know.

However, this morning I did do one thing upon moving into a new system that I was planning to flip. I'm not sure if this is to your taste though.

Step one: set the public announcemenf for your carrier on Inara to something that states your intentions and urges anyone that has a problem with them to drop you a line.
Step two: Park that carrier right next to the main starport in that system so anyone else that flies there cannot be unaware of your presence.
Step three: Find a system controlled by someone present in the system, preferably not the actual controlling faction, and get yourself on their bounty board. In my case, the anarchists were offering like 80 kills worth of massacre missions all in the same system.

With those things combined, I'm going to assume that if someone doesn't hit up my inbox, then nobody has a problem with what I'm doing because there's no way in hell that they're not going to know I'm there.

Step one: set the public announcemenf for your carrier on Inara to something that states your intentions and urges anyone that has a problem with them to drop you a line.
Step two: Park that carrier right next to the main starport in that system so anyone else that flies there cannot be unaware of your presence.

That sounds like a good plan. Parking a carrier there is a pretty clear signal I think! LOL

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is exactly a BGS question but what does it mean when you find a player faction in a system that has no associated squadron?
Player Factions are not Squadrons, nor do squadrons "Own" factions. Any number of squadrons can pledge to a single faction, and any squadron can pledge to any faction; the player creating/managing the squadron need only be Allied to the faction in question.

In other words, any faction, "PMF" or otherwise, should be no more noteworthy than any other for having no squadron pledged to it.

Last edited:
I believe you can own a faction without being in a squadron. All it means is that you want to have a faction of your own that you can increase the power of in a system and possibly expand to other systems. It really has no other purpose than to accomplish that end. I believe you can tie it with a superpower as well.

Quick and easy novice question or two: what IS a "Player Faction"? How can I create my own "Player Faction"? And, as a bonus, how is it different from a "Squadron" (which is the in-game equivalent to a "Guild/Clan" system)?

Quick and easy novice question or two: what IS a "Player Faction"? How can I create my own "Player Faction"? And, as a bonus, how is it different from a "Squadron" (which is the in-game equivalent to a "Guild/Clan" system)?

A player faction is something you have to apply for externally for the game and it is for the Background Simulation so the station reputations for factions. It has no relation to squadrons other than you can work with a squadron to expand its' influence. I am not even sure you can still get player factions atm.

No-one "owns" a player faction - not even the player group that requested the faction to be created. Since players cannot formally affiliate with or join a minor faction, there is no way in-game to tell if there are any players or player groups supporting a faction. Best you can do is run a Google search and see if anyone out there on the Internet is currently claiming that faction as their own.

Player-made factions, or "PMFs", have a complex process for creation. They have to be requested by "player groups". To be a player group, you need to register with FD and have at least 10 members, so in theory, an individual player isn't supposed to be allowed to start "their own faction".

The player group files a submission to have a player faction created. The name, government type and superpower allegiance of the faction can be selected (though some superpowers disqualify certain government types). You also nominate a home system, but be aware that many systems are disqualified from being nominated - the inhabited galaxy is rapidly running out of free real estate for new factions. Finally, you get to write a one-paragraph story about your faction, which gets formally added to the game in the home star system's description on the galaxy map.

PMFs are added to a star system with only a small amount of influence and no space stations under their control. The players of the player group presumably then get to work supporting that faction, helping them in their battle for dominance over their home star system, then expanding into and conquering other star systems. It's a popular "end-game" activity for players that own all the ships, have bajillions of credits and have seen and done everything else in the game.

The player group that requested the PMF be made does not have any special control over or authority within "their" faction: you can't rename planets or space stations, write missions for your faction members to undertake, or demand that "your faction" declare war on another faction or invade this or that star system. It's all controlled by manipulating the BGS, just like it is for any other faction.

PMFs are only loosely connected with squadrons, in that a squadron can nominate one faction (PMF or non-PMF) they are affiliated with. The squadron's members then get to access a special screen which lists all the star systems that faction is present in and all the assets (space stions etc) the faction controls. Each squadron can only be affiliated with one faction, but you can have more than one squadron per faction, and there's nothing to stop another squadron from affiliating with "your" faction.

And there are groups out there that will not acknowledge that the adoption of any faction gives the adopter any negotiating rights (not that either side has any rights in the first place, but there have to be some mutually acceptable ground rules for negotiations).

And there are groups out there that will not acknowledge that the adoption of any faction gives the adopter any negotiating rights (not that either side has any rights in the first place, but there have to be some mutually acceptable ground rules for negotiations).
People that try to flaunt their "but we're a PMF! You just adopted a faction!" status are especially fun. A lot of people around here will tend to support the underdogs on general principle.

It's a popular "end-game" activity for players that own all the ships, have bajillions of credits and have seen and done everything else in the game

Not that you need all the ships or Bajillions of credits. Even a single player in a small ship can make a difference in the right systems. Just don't try and tackle a system already occupied by a large active player base. :)

Not that you need all the ships or Bajillions of credits. Even a single player in a small ship can make a difference in the right systems. Just don't try and tackle a system already occupied by a large active player base. :)
<<< Has been manipulating the BGS for fun, profit, and mayhem (in the Federation) since the Gamma, when all I had was a Cobra III.

Top Bottom