Player Minor Faction Applications Broken

My squadron is trying to apply for a PMF and the site appeared to be broken. I put in a ticket with FDev and was given this response:

Currently PMF applications are on hold as a larger issue is preventing them from being accepted into game.

We’re currently looking at possible solutions, however this is taking a little while to get through as PMFs are somewhat low priority as they are a non-essential extra.

How is this a non-essential extra? This is the tie-in for most players to have a faction to work on. Especially a squadron of players that want to make a mark on the galaxy. Anyone else find this a bit ridiculous?

It's been broken since at least mid-November (that was when the last PMF was added, though the form may have been broken longer) with relatively few mentions - this is the fourth I've seen, I think. That's going to be fairly "non-essential" compared with other things that need fixing.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon and you can get one ... if not, hopefully there's an existing faction you can adopt.

It seems that after the initial creation of the game FDev lost touch with the original aim
The original aim had the BGS as purely a background layer of no interest for intentional manipulation, and everyone playing Powerplay for the territory control side of things, so that's probably a good thing.

If it hadn't broken now they were going to have to stop it in a year or so anyway because they'd be completely out of space to add factions that hadn't already been claimed by one of the huge ones.

It's been broken since at least mid-November (that was when the last PMF was added, though the form may have been broken longer) with relatively few mentions - this is the fourth I've seen, I think. That's going to be fairly "non-essential" compared with other things that need fixing.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon and you can get one ... if not, hopefully there's an existing faction you can adopt.

The original aim had the BGS as purely a background layer of no interest for intentional manipulation, and everyone playing Powerplay for the territory control side of things, so that's probably a good thing.

If it hadn't broken now they were going to have to stop it in a year or so anyway because they'd be completely out of space to add factions that hadn't already been claimed by one of the huge ones.

If it broke mid-November, then that would be about the time they started laying the groundwork for the upcoming update 15. Perhaps they'll inadvertently 'fix' it when they deploy that in 6-8 months (I know it's due in April, but we all know the track record)
We run an orphanage: we are plenty of abandoned factions ready for adoption.

Need one?

As much as I appreciate the offer, We just left another squadron and would really like to have Our name on the galaxy not adopt another - Though that idea has been put to the side for future need if this doesn't get resolved.

Elite Dangerous is a great game, and I'm grateful that it's been playable for a long time and continues to improve in some ways... but this is actually a pretty important bug. Extinct player factions should be swept out of the game and new ones should be able to be added. They should also tie CQC, on-foot CQC, and even racing in SRVs and ships into the core game, with GALNET announcing players who won as news items. But Commander Harklynn is right about them needing to fix player factions being able to be added... 100% correct... and there should be some kind of timetable at least, even if it's not their very top priority. FDev, don't be like Star Citizen and let bugs fester while adding new stuff before fixing existing bugs.

FDev: "Hi, what can we do for you 'valued' customer?"

Customer: "Hello there (insert Obi-Wan meme). I would just like to have an in-game faction placed so I can continue to play, promote, and support your game."

FDev: "Well, seeing as you are a non-essential extra, the best I can do is put you on hold."

Game proceeds to decline in (x amount) of players who have spent countless combined hours in time and (most importantly to their share-holders) money

FDev in their financial report: "Sorry share-holders, we're continuing to lose player interest which is resulting in overall monetary loss. The solution you ask? Ramp up the Thargoid war! That HAS to bring them back."

Me watching the in-game galaxy burn: "Maybe humanity wasn't that great after all."

Elite Dangerous is a great game, and I'm grateful that it's been playable for a long time and continues to improve in some ways... but this is actually a pretty important bug. Extinct player factions should be swept out of the game and new ones should be able to be added. They should also tie CQC, on-foot CQC, and even racing in SRVs and ships into the core game, with GALNET announcing players who won as news items. But Commander Harklynn is right about them needing to fix player factions being able to be added... 100% correct... and there should be some kind of timetable at least, even if it's not their very top priority. FDev, don't be like Star Citizen and let bugs fester while adding new stuff before fixing existing bugs.
It would be cool if they eventually create a sub menu in game relative to factions. It could be nested within the galaxy map or system map, and provide some information that can currently found at INARA; namely stuff like whether a faction is NPC or Player, faction homeworld, associated squadrons, etc.

it would a.so be cool if there was a way to contact those factions in game, using the inbox feature we already have.

Not a vital need, but it would be nice.

As much as I appreciate the offer, We just left another squadron and would really like to have Our name on the galaxy not adopt another - Though that idea has been put to the side for future need if this doesn't get resolved.

Nps, consider that given the Bubble became so crowded, the "risk" of picking the wrong government type and being "implanted" in the wrong powerplay area (i.e. where the govt type is unfavourable for the local power) makes almost impossible for your faction to expand.

Based on the new update about the year, apparently their response about it being a "non-essential extra that is being investigated" was simply code for "too bad, so sad we're just going to remove the system entirely"

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39 KB · Views: 64
Very disappointing that they think PDF'S is non-essential extra. since it plays such a big part in ED to tie communities and players together, and actually bring players into the game..... please don't do this it's a big mistake.

Very disappointing that they think PDF'S is non-essential extra. since it plays such a big part in ED to tie communities and players together, and actually bring players into the game..... please don't do this it's a big mistake.
I agree but it just fits so well with the "turd in every punchbowl" philosophy. Fleet carriers? Great! let's assign massive upkeep, way more than we stated when we first indicated what to expect (which, to their credit, they did reduce significantly). Multiple limpet controller? Sure, but let's give it an absurd weight penalty that makes no sense (not saying there should be no tradeoff, but what they proposed was ridiculous)! Want more AX weapons? Needs a special module! And then the tone-deaf surprise when they get negative feedback.

My squadron is trying to apply for a PMF and the site appeared to be broken. I put in a ticket with FDev and was given this response:

How is this a non-essential extra? This is the tie-in for most players to have a faction to work on. Especially a squadron of players that want to make a mark on the galaxy. Anyone else find this a bit ridiculous?
Have you ever spoken to someone who is crap at lying, and they constantly contradict them selves? Litterly whats happened here.

Fdev: "Yea there's a error with PMF applications, so we can't add them! (Not publicly announcing it)

Also Fdev: were stopping PMF applications but will add the current pending applications. (Public announcement)

Clearly there's no "error" and it's just something they want to do.

Why they conduct them selves like this I don't know. They just lose credibility every time the waffle crap like this, imo.

I actually communicated with FDev about it before and it seems they are having an issue that enforces them to reconsider PMFs alltogether:

QwvLMsT.png

FDev sincerely has made a great game here, but they are repeatedly tone deaf to how the players are actually playing the game.

1 - Player made factions became a thing that brought people together to expand their name-imprint in the bubble and it's more popular and fun than the mindless boring slog of carrying whatsits from port a to port b for Powerplay. Powerplay is not fun.

2 - CQC actually IS fun, but not being able to get matches is a self destroying loop. This should be done "in-game" as an e-Sport, with the ability to log in remotely to fighters at ports, and add computer controlled enemies at least for the lower levels so it's always possible to get matches. Extend this to races and on foot CQC, with the idea being that you're projecting into a SLF or cloning or whatever and you have "sports" that people could even watch or bet on.

3 - The Thargoid war is exciting and fun... but like everything else in the game, anything FDev adds must be done with a slap in the face to players... i.e. to make progress, you have to do it so many times that you hate doing it. You can do it, have fun, and NOT make progress. But if you want to MAKE PROGRESS you must do the game loop 10,000 times.

There's someone who works at FDev who insists on punishing the players... and while I agree that things being too easy in a game kill the enjoyment... things being too grindy, or forcing players to re-log or fly up into orbit and re-land 453,345,234 times to get a tiny level up is the game design philosophy here.

The Thargoid war finally is balanced to the point where humans are winning some systems back and losing ground at a slower rate... but that's AFTER players killed how many millions and millions of Thargoid ships? Some of us have restarted and would still like to level up and kill Thargoids, so it's good that it's still available... all the options should stay available to players.

Anyway, if you take away things that players enjoy doing, and replace them with more non-rewarding grindy things, more players will leave. People have been talking about the grind being "good to a point" but way overdone in Elite for years, but every time FDev puts out a new feature, it's with as much or more grind than ever. There's a game designer at FDev who is incapable of hearing this constructive criticism and adapting just a bit to it... so every time, 100% of the time, it goes like this where a new thing is put out into the game, and then they have to scale back the grind from hellish eternity to simply extreme purgatory.

FDev sincerely has made a great game here, but they are repeatedly tone deaf to how the players are actually playing the game.
They have massive amounts of data on how people are actually playing the game, rather than who shouts loudest on the forums.

Not that I've got anything against player factions (though I have little interest in them either).

They have massive amounts of data on how people are actually playing the game, rather than who shouts loudest on the forums.

Not that I've got anything against player factions (though I have little interest in them either).
Your comment (and a few replies) imply that their data is correct, while player comments are subjective and false.

However...

1 - Most wings that I've seen, and three that I've been in, focus heavily on the BGS and have dozens of systems, which takes time and effort. Expanding your faction in BGS requires lots of mission variety and playing the game with a purpose. Compare that to Powerplay, where your two options are delivering widgets or fighting in non-profitable fight zones... you can't just 'play the game' and participate in Powerplay.

2 - The reason the bubble is full of Player Based Factions and that they negotiate with each other while expanding is because this filled up, because it's popular. People did this without community goals or being pressured to do it. If the data indicates people don't care about this, and I'm just spewing a baseless opinion as you insinuate... why is the bubble completely full of PBFs? You can see that, you can see the facts and data, so if you want to just insult me, cool... but if FDev actually communicated with the loyal fan-base I suspect you'd see how wrong you are about the popularity of PBFs.

Otherwise, wouldn't there be very few of them?

As for PBFs that died due to being on console or just phasing out after a decade... why not get rid of those and allow new ones in for new players? Why eliminate a popular game play option? What's the gain? Our new wing has two dozen people in it, we posted for a PBF before they announced they were going away, and were told it was 'bugged' and then this announcement came out... so dozens of long time players were excitedly planning this new PBF, only to be given the shaft. They're already bleeding players... why add to it?

And if something fun is planned to replace this, why not say what it is before cutting it off?

People are 'yelling' because they have loved this game for a long time, and because FDev has lost a lot of trust with players... because this is one of the best games ever, but then they just seem to alienate players.

Sorry that we cared, sorry we're frustrated, sorry we feel let down. Please let me know what's ok with you as far as what we're supposed to look forward to doing as a wing, so I know how I'm allowed to feel.

Thanks.

You can act and feel how you like. I simply corrected a single piece of information. FD do know how their players are playing the game. Whether they then make the right decisions based on that is another discussion entirely (and not a rabbit hole I feel inclined to head down).

Top Bottom