Player Minor Faction

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Player minor faction applications were closed down nearly a year ago:

This is very UNFAIR! because the ones that currently exist control many systems and when you want to play BGS they are everywhere (even outside the bubble) and they don't let you help the faction (npc) and you can't beat them.

doesn't help new players AT ALL

This is very UNFAIR! because the ones that currently exist control many systems and when you want to play BGS they are everywhere (even outside the bubble) and they don't let you help the faction (npc) and you can't beat them.

how would creating more PMFs make things more fair?

Even older player factions still get stomped by bigger ones. That's unfair also. Just hope for some changes in the future that might change things around, but it's unlikely imo.

Steve

Many PMFs have been abandoned by players moving on to other games. There is absolutely nothing to stop you adopting any faction (although it's obviously better to join an unsupported one) and working to towards system control. There is no functional difference between an NPC faction and a PM faction, abandoned or otherwise - what you go for depends on the size of your ego.

It's going to be hard work identifying a faction to adopt.

Your first task is to choose your allegiance in a super power: Empire, Alliance, Federation - or completely Independent.
Secondly, go for the management type: dictatorship, feudal, communist, cooperative, democratic, theocratic, etc - but note that some types don't work under some super powers: somehow democracy and the Empire don't go together.

You can use Inara to help in the next stage - probably the hardest part if you're starting from scratch. You'll need to identify a faction that meets your criteria and is flatlining in all the systems in which it has a presence. This means that the faction has either been abandoned, or that the supporting players access the game through Xbox or Playstation and have no leverage in the latest Live version.

You can shortcut the process by finding an existing group with a similar operating philosophy (and playing style) to your chosen two criteria. There are some player groups that are closed: they're probably a group that has been playing together for years over many games. But most ED BGS player groups welcome new players with open arms: see https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-groups-squadrons-factions/

These days it's not so difficult finding the groups that control factions. Most use Discord to communicate and getting on well with your neighbours is always a good tactic, even if your neighbours don't match your playing style: you will probably get back just what you put in.

And most contributors to the forums are very happy to share advice and help - just ask.

They'll even offer advice when it's not asked for or welcomed.

PMFs are what whomever is behind them do with them.
There's huge ones and little ones and defunct ones.
I've crossed swords with huge ones and got slaughtered hehe.
So l just take my time. Analysis is key. Don't wanna step on any toes.
Expand locally and that's it. Ie only from head office.
Didn't before and the poles got angry

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

How would creating a new faction help you against an existing big factions?

Players do not control factions. All "PMF" really means is that they are named by player group and have a custom description on the map, instead of having the name generated by the game.

There is literally no difference other than that. Regardless if the faction was named by a player group or existed in the game natively, it does not matter at all and whatsoever. It is all about how big and how well organised a group is that decides to support a (literally any) faction.

If I had a faction XYZ that I named yesterday and was the only supporter against a faction that was in the game from the start (not named by players) but supported by 100 players, i would be screwed.

Whether the given faction is a "player" faction or not, literally does not matter a single bit.

Players do not control factions.

Whether the given faction is a "player" faction or not, literally does not matter a single bit.
[cough cough]

April 3310.jpg

I need some help here. Changing the state of a faction by individual or group action sounds like control to me (albeit within prescribed parameters), but I'm open to persuasion.

Or expanding them to new systems.
Or repairing unwanted states, like outbreak or famine.
Or pushing them into boom & civil liberty.
Or taking new assets in the system.
Or help suppressing unwanted other factions.
Or be a cause for friction / war / diplomacy between player squadrons.

It gives a lot of control, as well as fun and varied game play.
Don't let yourself be put down by PP-fanbois and anti-BGS folk on the forums.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I need some help here. Changing the state of a faction by individual or group action sounds like control to me (albeit within prescribed parameters), but I'm open to persuasion.

Or expanding them to new systems.
Or repairing unwanted states, like outbreak or famine.
Or pushing them into boom & civil liberty.
Or taking new assets in the system.
Or help suppressing unwanted other factions.
Or be a cause for friction / war / diplomacy between player squadrons.

It gives a lot of control, as well as fun and varied game play.
Don't let yourself be put down by PP-fanbois and anti-BGS folk on the forums.

But what difference does it make that the faction is named by players?

ANYONE can control ANY faction through BGS actions. The fact that it's a "Player" minor faction does not give any extra benefits or extra control over it.

But what difference does it make that the faction is named by players?

ANYONE can control ANY faction through BGS actions. The fact that it's a "Player" minor faction does not give any extra benefits or extra control over it.

Self-identification. Lore- and world-building. A sense of common identity among the player group. Its one of that features that added a good chunk of flair to the game as a whole.
But yes, you are correct, there is no difference in game-play mechanics.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Self-identification. Lore- and world-building. A sense of common identity among the player group. Its one of that features that added a good chunk of flair to the game as a whole.
But yes, you are correct, there is no difference in game-play mechanics.

With that I can agree. Still, you can find any faction, including PMF ones and start supporting it. Heck, there are plenty of "abandoned" PMF's up for "grabs" :)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
It's certainly support, changing influence - however those confer no control over which player(s) are permitted to support / influence the Faction, nor which Squadron(s) might choose to affiliate with the Faction.

Control would be telling a faction where to go. What we have is manipulation, blocking off the other roads a faction might want to go so they have no choice but to go where we want them.

...not that it matters much practically outside of expansions.

Top Bottom