PlayStation 4 controller stopped working all of a sudden.

sorry don't own a ds4 but have you tried adjusting the settings in steam big picture mode then the settings cog and controller setups could be something in there

I have. The only thing that is ticked off on that page is the PS4 controller option.

Just echoing what @STRONTIUM DOG says (as I don't know whether your answer covers it), at the bottom of the page here:

Thank you for the reply. I have tried various other preset controls. All of them and with no luck. The only thing I have not tried is uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Not sure if that will help.

instead of uninstalling just grab your current control bindings folder sling that on your desktop for now so that it is no longer in the frontier directory
now when you restart the game a new default bindings folder will replace the missing one that you put on your desktop
see if control is restored with the new default bindings folder
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
(you may need to goto control panel in windows and show hidden files and folders in folder options to see above files)
NB ALWAYS ENSURE YOUR CONTROLLER IS PLUGGED IN BEFORE STARTING THE GAME (its what can cause the corruption if it isnt)

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. I followed the path you provided (including turning on hidden files/folders) and I do not have a Bindings folder. The last folder I have is Options and within that folder is a file called fsave_options011. Sounds like something might have gotten corrupted? Any thoughts?

Update: I was able to find the Bindings folder and move it to my desktop. While I was in the folder I saw a file called "BindingLoadingErrors.log". I opened the file and there is one error that went down the page. It is "Failed to find GUID for device: 28DE11FF".

ok forget about the old binding folder fa now did the newly created bindings folder cure the problem?
remember to disable the big picture stuff in steam as recommended in there faq provided by para just in case

Last edited:
The newly created bindings did not resolve the issue. I have checked a couple of locations and Big Picture is not enabled.

Steam > Settings>Interface>Set Taskbar Preferences -----> not ticked off
Steam > Settings > In-Game -----> not ticked off

sorry I am outta ideas maybe a support ticket is the way to go as a new bindings folder is basically like a fresh install only re installing the controls section
and saving all that download/reinstall time

Other steam games work fine with my DS4. Any thoughts?
make sure pad is on before you start the game.
if your pad is working correctly in windows controller settings, the issue will be with the game not finding the binds file. maybe corrupt.
i dont use steam so i cant help there.
you could try dl stand alone ver and try that. i think i remember them saying you can though not sure.

Last edited:
make sure pad is on before you start the game.
if your pad is working correctly in windows controller settings, the issue will be with the game not finding the binds file. maybe corrupt.
i dont use steam so i cant help there.
you could try dl stand alone ver and try that. i think i remember them saying you can though not sure.
Interesting. I'm not on Steam (for ED) but I start my DS4 after I've booted the game. If I go to the store, my controller shuts down.:unsure:

Interesting. I'm not on Steam (for ED) but I start my DS4 after I've booted the game. If I go to the store, my controller shuts down.:unsure:
that will be it turn on pad first even before you start the launcher ;)
if its not on no signal is received when game looks for it and moves to default binds.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall the game. After reinstalling, I went into the controls section and this time there was an actual entry that said DualShock 4. That was never there even after the first time I installed the game. After switching to that option the DS4 started working fine (heavenly music plays). Thank you to all who replied.

how odd...….. once you have setup your controller how you like it I recommend making a backup of the bindings folder so you have a replacement copy of your controls, if doing this do not store your spare copy in the frontier folders keep it somewhere else so it is not overwritten when the game patches which has happened in the past.
a guide to storing renaming and not loosing bind files here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...i-enter-the-controls-tab.507856/#post-7718770

Last edited:
Top Bottom