Please Explain: Why people think Carriers should have less upkeep and lower purchase cost?

For the life of me, I cannot wrap my head around how players are complaining about purchase and maintenance costs of carriers.

What an entitled bunch of babies.

You honestly believe that YOU, unremarkable old YOU, "deserve" to be bestowed the godlike ability to manage and maintain and entire, powerful mobile space station.

AND! NOT ONLY THAT! You truly, in your disgruntled, wrinkled, lonely hearts, believe that you should be able to purchase these more easily AND have minimal upkeep costs on this MASSIVE, BEHEMOTH, MULTI-FUNCTION, PROFIT GENERATING BEAST.

As someone grounded in reality. Who doesnt feel owed anything and enjoys elite for being the safe little carebear haven that it is. I am completely stunned (ok , knowing how entitled and spoiled this community is I expected this) how people can justify their complaints.

So please. Legitimate responses only. Answer two questions for me:

1. How do you justify being able to solely manage a massive, multifunction, mobile space station and not have severe running costs? (Personally, I feel the 10mil is NOTHiNG. Hell I just pirates for 1 hour and made 50.)

2. How do you justify your sense of entitlement when it comes to having all this power as an individual (which is completely immersion breaking btw) and then have the gaul to demand this unrealistic scenario be presented on the silver platter of low entry fee.

Please. Indulge me. I dont suffer from elitism, entitlement, or hyper-sensitivity. Quite frankly, I love this concept. I just wish that cost way more and required 10x the upkeep, thus requiring people to work together to maintain them. I see absolutely no reasonable example of why any individual should harness this power. Especially for such a cheap cost. Yes. Cheap, relative to what you are getting.

Relax.
Your Anaconda requires a very modest amount of upkeep. Proportionally it's probably similar for fuel, paint and minor repairs.

The difference is the cost is automatic irrespective of what you do with the carrier.

Players are mildly annoyed that slf pilot take a cut of all profits, whether you use them or not.

Carriers bring a passive cost mechanic, similar to "decay" for bases in survival games.

As a game mechanic, this strategy is seen as a negative reinforcement for not logging into the game - and is seen as anti-fun, more consistent with a job than a game.

I personally do not have a problem with a decay mechanic, provided that the positives of the asset are substantial. In other games, having a fully outfitted base accelerates crafting, unlocks new assets, allows for npc recruitment and training, and can be a personal expression of creativity.

The current iteration of FCs does not appear to have those positives, and the earning potential is suspect.

In addition, there are already paths to earn substantial credits in game, so a passive income stream from an FC is just a limp carrot compared to the decay stick.

For the life of me, I cannot wrap my head around how players are complaining about purchase and maintenance costs of carriers.

What an entitled bunch of babies.

You honestly believe that YOU, unremarkable old YOU, "deserve" to be bestowed the godlike ability to manage and maintain and entire, powerful mobile space station.

AND! NOT ONLY THAT! You truly, in your disgruntled, wrinkled, lonely hearts, believe that you should be able to purchase these more easily AND have minimal upkeep costs on this MASSIVE, BEHEMOTH, MULTI-FUNCTION, PROFIT GENERATING BEAST.

As someone grounded in reality. Who doesnt feel owed anything and enjoys elite for being the safe little carebear haven that it is. I am completely stunned (ok , knowing how entitled and spoiled this community is I expected this) how people can justify their complaints.

Don't tell me that after this ^^^ you actualy expect a serious answer.
If you do, well,...... it's a game and I play games for fun.

Cost and upkeep is a non Issue. The games what, 4 years old? 100 mil and hour has been a thing for at least 2 years. With even larger gold rushes sprinkled throughout.
If you play super casually, around 10 hours a week, and avg 50 mil an hour, you’re at 5 billion in 200 hours of play.
Upkeep costs for 10 weeks are covered in 2 hours at the above rates of cr/hr.

people are just whiners.

the issue with FC isn’t cost or upkeep. It’s their functionality. No meaningful use for any commodities other than one time unlocks and just selling high. Jump spool up and cool down being too long. Logistics of fueling it up and offloading to sell. Etc.

I'm afraid you're completely missing the point. I don't think I've seen anybody say it would be hard to come up with the weekly 15 million.

I'm afraid you're completely missing the point. I don't think I've seen anybody say it would be hard to come up with the weekly 15 million.

Or 10 million, or 50 million, depending on how its been kitted out.

However, take a break from the game, perhaps unexpectedly or enforced, and come back in a few months and you might find yourself hundreds of millions in the hole and your FC decomissioned. We will need to see how tollerant those rates are to extended periods of not playing the game.

Of course, the first thing i'm sure anyone wants to do in ED after an extended break is to spend their first hours (possibly even tens of hours) grinding for credits.

Ships with more than one seat should have had crew costs from the start, with NPC's taking the seats. If they did then the cost for a carrier would have been balanced and reasonable and not such a shock.
This game was rushed out of the door too quickly and the placeholders / bodges are coming back to bite FD on the bum now they're irreversible without causing lots of upset.

Last edited:
Ships with more than one seat should have had crew costs from the start, with NPC's taking the seats. If they did then the cost for a carrier would have been balanced and reasonable and not such a shock.
This game was rushed out of the door too quickly and the placeholders / bodges are coming back to bite FD on the bum now they're irreversible without causing lots of upset.
I would love FDev to retrofit crew requirement/management into the game for the big ships (with visible bums-on-seats) but not as a set cost per week thing like with FCs.

I’d want something like the crew morale system from Sid Meier’s Pirates! or Mount & Blade - make money and they’re happy when they get their share so they stay with you, run them ragged for too long or you’re not making any dosh and they’re off!

The one off cost is fair enough but upkeep is fundamentally flawed. The whole idea of passive debt or income for that matter is a bad idea.

There should be no mechanics than punish or reward a player for not playing the game.

I get that penalty for not playing is bad. But there’s two issues. You don’t want a bunch of unused fleet carriers everywhere to just build up overtime, and second, you want players to interact with other players FC who actually playing.

for the first problem a possible alternative is of your fleet carrier is within the bubble, after x number of months of inactivity (you. Not playing at all) it automatically returns to a dock? Not a perfect solution but a suggestion.

and then maybe make crew work like they do now, where they just take a % cut of your earnings, and then the FC just requires upkeep with every jump. So the upkeep comes from actual activity.

Cost and upkeep is not really an issue with me, it's the refuel mining time grind. It looks like it will take 4-6 hour to refuel your carrier mining. Happy to mine one hour to refuel, but 4-6h mining per jump is too much.

Yes, for usage outside the bubble, that is even a much bigger fail than the absence of UC.

It's been four days since the announcement and I the complaining is unreal. The carriers have not even been finalized and some of us are already with the pitch forks looking for someone to sting up.

You have already paid to play the game and this is another free update to the game. People complain there is not content but when it comes some snub there nose to it. Anyone can earn a carrier if you just put in some time. Maybe that will not happen by June but the carrier will be in the game permanently so what is your hurry?. Additionally there is no rank requirement, you don't have to pay real money for them and so on.

It's fine if by June they are still not to your preference but it's just a game. One that can be changed if it makes sense for the game down the road to which maybe it will be you cup. Maybe take a breath and sit back for a bit please.

If you can afford a 5 billion Cr vessel, you can afford 10m/week to keep it running. An extra 1 billion Cr is enough to keep it running for two years.

52 weeks in a year = 520 million a year = 1 billion (approximately) to pay for two years of FC.

Just the rebuy of a proper Cutter is enough to pay it for over a month!

Except it's not 10m/week, that's BASE upkeep, it goes up for each service you add. Like refuel/rearm/reload? (yeah that's an optional service btw, that's EXTRA) So the calculation is not static. for a carrier that actually has the services added to make it worth a damn is going be like 30-40m Cr PER week. So that 1 billion will last you just under 6 months.

The one thing I'm slightly salty about is that Frontier has spent the last few years focusing on end-game content for the top 8% of the player base

3% 5% 8%
The point is now players have something to aspire to
Until last year a 1.5 billions Cutter was the top aspiration and a target for most (or at least a 1.4 billions Corvette).
And most of the players eventually get a Cutter or a Corvette in their carrier.

Now the Carriers will take that role as an end-game trophy

My main concern regarding the Carriers at the moment is the rate Tritium can be mined.
If its too slow, i will use the carrier as a mobile base in the bubble - instead of keeping all my ships in a system i designate as homebase, i will simply use a carrier for thatm

The other minor concern is the limit of carrier number per system.

One perk: i will finaly able to visit Hutton Orbital, although the charge up timer of 1h is a bit disconcerting (but i guess i can schedule the jump then log off and go to bed)
I'd rather have 10 minutes charge up and 110 cooldown :)

PS> Cheers OP, quite refreshing to see a thread like this after seeing all the lamenting threads regarding purchase and maintenance costs.
Entitled future Pram owners :)

Top Bottom