Please help me pick a deep-core mining ship. Are the Alliance ships any good

I was just fiddling around with this question the other day. I think you want to use the Chieftain, not the more expensive Alliance ships: this build is the best I came up with (ignoring engineering). The other two both have an extra module slot, but in both cases you're either using the second-largest slot for a shield or going shieldless, so you spend more for less agility and not much gain. One nice point for these Alliance ships is that they all have a number of hardpoints on the ship axis, so it's easy to line up the seismic launcher and abrasion blaster shots.

Of course, you could stuff those military slots with HRPs and go shield-less and probably be fine. An unshielded Crusader can mine 72T of core (cargo+refinery) with a fighter, a C3 turret, and 1500 armor points before engineering, which should take care of your average NPC pirate threats. That said, if you're truly set on core mining with a fighter bay, you really are going to be better off in a Krait II (gets you 128T cargo, with shields, a fighter bay, and more collectors, plus more C3 hardpoints for weaponry). Ironically, the difference in price between that and the Alliance builds is about one Asp/Chief-load of void opals.

The Imperial Clipper!

128 tons of space, and she boosts over 600m/s while hunting for cores. The Krait Mk II and the Python are also great at this role but I think the Clipper makes mining more fun. VROOOOM!

This is roughly the same build I'm using for "core" mining. The Clipper is a great ship for core mining and prospecting is a breeze at those speeds.

I use a majestic T10! Room for everything, and lots of style.. ;)

Screenshot_0126.jpg

It doesn't seem like anyone has sugested it yet, so I throw in : Clipper
I admit, I only started using it cause I had one lying around, but its seriously great for that purpose.
Can fit everything you need, 128t of cargo, quite agile (maneuvering through the rocks is not an issue) and top speed of ~600m/s.
And if you are looking for cores, speed is the most important factor.
You'll never have to bother with pirates either, they can't keep up with you.
I make ~220MCr in 1 1/2 hours with mine.

The Imperial Clipper!

128 tons of space, and she boosts over 600m/s while hunting for cores. The Krait Mk II and the Python are also great at this role but I think the Clipper makes mining more fun. VROOOOM!
You could have 192 tons of space id you get rid of those prismatic shields that you don't need. 4C biweaves should be more than enough. This is how I'd outfit a Clipper for deep core mining, though a Python can carry 224 tons.
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/imp...w18WQ==..EweloBhBGA2EDsAWEBTAhgcwDapDCQkKEoA=

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...loBhBmUA5QFMCGBzANokICMF8hRFA&bn=python miner

Speaking of that I notice all the guys hire female crew and not the ones that have hit the wall :unsure: wonder why?
Female body has better G tolerance, so that could be the reason, more likely because they think they can get away with paying them less than a male.

Yeah I totally could do that. The smaller shield would also lighten the ship a bit as well. However, I do find that 128 tons is enough. Instead I may engineer those shields to make them even stronger and replace the mining lasers with a couple of gimballed beams so that if I get into a disagreement with NPC pirates I can compel them to change careers. There are lots of ways I could go.

The Python and Krait are great at doing core mining as well but I find it more fun in the Clipper with its maneuverability and crazy great speed. Also, it is getting kind of boring seeing the Python being the answer to everything in Elite Dangerous these days. The game needs competition for these ships and at least for core mining I find the Clipper to be VERY viable for the reasons outlined above.

Yeah I totally could do that. The smaller shield would also lighten the ship a bit as well. However, I do find that 128 tons is enough. Instead I may engineer those shields to make them even stronger and replace the mining lasers with a couple of gimballed beams so that if I get into a disagreement with NPC pirates I can compel them to change careers. There are lots of ways I could go.

The Python and Krait are great at doing core mining as well but I find it more fun in the Clipper with its maneuverability and crazy great speed. Also, it is getting kind of boring seeing the Python being the answer to everything in Elite Dangerous these days. The game needs competition for these ships and at least for core mining I find the Clipper to be VERY viable for the reasons outlined above.
You don't need stronger shields. Just don't fight anyone, it only wastes time. When you arrive at the mining site, either wait for the pirates to come and scan you or continually boost for a few minutes until they're well off your radar. Be careful, you now get more than one pirate or groupl of pirates meeting you after you drop out, so if you're oo quick to start mining, you have to either fight or run away.

Personally youd be better off utilising Double painite or Double LTD hotspots as its simple laser mining. Bigger ships such as the Type 9 or cutter is brilliant for this.

It's the finger cramp that gets me. I'd like a way to toggle it on and off without having to hold the trigger down. I tend to use it in 'continuous ping' mode.
mapped mine to second fire button on the joystick which is also a slide switch on the throttle, I use this for honking systems and pinging for cores. also useful for legacy mining with lasers, or kill warrant scanning etc

mapped mine to second fire button on the joystick which is also a slide switch on the throttle, I use this for honking systems and pinging for cores. also useful for legacy mining with lasers, or kill warrant scanning etc
Ooo, there's a thought. I may have one of those types free. Thanks for the idea.

You don't need stronger shields. Just don't fight anyone, it only wastes time. When you arrive at the mining site, either wait for the pirates to come and scan you or continually boost for a few minutes until they're well off your radar. Be careful, you now get more than one pirate or groupl of pirates meeting you after you drop out, so if you're oo quick to start mining, you have to either fight or run away.
Maybe you don't need shields, I go in there and push the pieces apart to get my goodies.

Stealthie

Banned
It doesn't seem like anyone has sugested it yet, so I throw in : Clipper
I admit, I only started using it cause I had one lying around, but its seriously great for that purpose.

I'm sure it's great, right up to the point where the best place to sell stuff is a medium-pad platform. ;)

On my x52pro, IIRC, I had to program the sliding switch into bands. I used 2 bands, the forward position was fire secondary, the rearward was left blank.
I'm using a Warthog, and there's a sort of clicky-slider on the throttle that's unused. Just tried it, works a treat. Thanks!

Top Bottom